PDA

View Full Version : 9 years for 4 boating deaths

JB in so cal
05-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Anaheim man sentenced to 9 years in boating deaths
Scott Eickhoff guilty in Colorado River accident.
By JOHN McDONALD
The Orange County Register
An Anaheim man was sentenced to nine years in prison Tuesday after pleading guilty in Needles to operating a boat while drunk in an accident that took four lives.
Scott Eickhoff, 31, of Anaheim Hills pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular manslaughter in the case, which stems from a Labor Day weekend accident in 2004. Eickhoff's 1998 23-foot Renegade runabout slammed into a concrete railroad bridge support at more than 35 mph, spilling eight adults into the Colorado River.
Among the dead was Dale Baldwin, 35, of Huntington Beach, who was once a professional bungee instructor and taught disabled people how to ski. The others who died were Rorey McMahon, 28, of Redlands; his brother Ryan McMahon of Mohave Valley, Ariz.; and Jennifer Lee Knight, 24, of Corona.
Eickhoff was uninjured and the three others survived the crash.
Deputy San Bernardino District Attorney David Varman said that Eickhoff pleaded no contest to the charge before a preliminary hearing was held. Baldwin's father came from Arkansas to address the court at sentencing but did not criticize the plea, said Varman.
Eickhoff was given until Aug. 4 to surrender to begin serving his sentence. He could be released after about and 4 ½ years if he earns good behavior and work credits, Varman said.

Huckleberry
05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
I remember seeing the pics of that crash. It was real ugly. :( If I remember correctly, several friends of the driver signed up and came on here defending him, saying he was not drunk and to not be so quick to judge him. Seems those who did were correct...This time. It sucks he only got nine years and will be out in about four! So the value of aeach person's life is about one year. Doesn't seem right. :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
05-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I was wondering what happend with that.
Some may say that, that is a light sentance, but he will have to live with it for the rest of his life, Life Sentance.

JB in so cal
05-11-2006, 09:15 AM
I remember seeing the pics of that crash. It was real ugly. :( If I remember correctly, several friends of the driver signed up and came on here defending him, saying he was not drunk and to not be so quick to judge him. Seems those who did were correct...This time. It sucks he only got nine years and will be out in about four! So the value of aeach person's life is about one year. Doesn't seem right. :mad:
Your point goes a long way when you look at how much the Stage Manager at that White Snake fire in RI got...4 years for manslaughter; 100 people died.

JB in so cal
05-11-2006, 09:20 AM
How did he bridge embrakement? Was he drunk or sober? Is there a link to the story or anybody know what happened?
do a search on here using his name...

Huckleberry
05-11-2006, 09:21 AM
BB,
I put the original thread back up top. Seem the pics of the crashed boat were deleted though.
JB,
You're right. That truly does suck for those who lost one of those 100 people. I don't even want to do the math to figure out how many DAYS each life was worth in that mess. :(

Squirtin Thunder
05-11-2006, 09:23 AM
do a search on here using his name...
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57197&page=1&pp=25

topless
05-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I remember the story. Weren't they all drunk? I know it was a very irresponsible decision to take people out in the boat after drinking all night BUT who here hasn't been there and done that? I myself haven't but many here have and to judge this guy is wrong in my opinion. The courts already have and he has to live for the rest of his life knowing his behavior killed people. I couldn't live with myself knowing I took someones life. I witnessed a drunk driver run into a telephone pole a few years ago right in front of my house. He killed his best friend who also was drunk and the passenger. He got out of his vehicle and kept saying " I killed my best friend" over and over as he was crying. I still cry sometimes when I think about it. Not just for the passenger but for the guilt that this guy has to live the rest of his life with.
God be with Scott and the victims families of this tragedy.

Squirtin Thunder
05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
I remember the story. Weren't they all drunk? I know it was a very irresponsible decision to take people out in the boat after drinking all night BUT who here hasn't been there and done that? I myself haven't but many here have and to judge this guy is wrong in my opinion. The courts already have and he has to live for the rest of his life knowing his behavior killed people. I couldn't live with myself knowing I took someones life. I witnessed a drunk driver run into a telephone pole a few years ago right in front of my house. He killed his best friend who also was drunk and the passenger. He got out of his vehicle and kept saying " I killed my best friend" over and over as he was crying. I still cry sometimes when I think about it. Not just for the passenger but for the guilt that this guy has to live the rest of his life with.
God be with Scott and the victims families of this tragedy.
A+ very nice post !!!

Mrs.Racer277
05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Atleast he pleaded guilty and did not try to prolong this like others would.
Scott has had to deal with his guilt since the evening this has happened. Very sad.
Dale's friends just threw a B-day party for him to celebrate the life he lived.
My heart goes out to all involved.

BigDoug
05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
This is a sore subject with me because this could've been 100% prevented, the driver obviously doesn't have enough dicipline or respect for himself and others and thinks "it'll be ok, i can drive drunk, who knows how many other times ive done it before".....it pisses me off to no end to actually know 50% or more are boating intoxicated, if your gonna drink ? fine but let someone else drive that is sober and put your pride on hold...
Rant is over... :)

Tyson Ross
05-11-2006, 10:25 AM
He most likely pled guilt to 1 count of manslaughter to avoid trial and possibly face 4 counts of manslaughter,....possible consecutive prison sentences.

Boatcop
05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
The plea was "No Contest", which has the same meaning as "Guilty", as far as the criminal case goes.
However, it is not an admission of guilt that could be used in a civil lawsuit. The civil courts consider a "Guilty" plea as a slam dunk admission of responsibility, but a "No Contest" means that the plaintifffs will have to prove their case.
Believe me, this wasn't done to prevent drawing out the situation for the victims or their families. On the contrary, it will do just the opposite, and force them to relive this several times over.

Seadog
05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
This is wrong on many levels. You have a person who seems to be held in high esteem by many. His life is ruined. You have four of his friends that are dead. You have lawyers and family members that will try to reduce grief to dollars. For how ever many years, he will cost the government money and not be able to support his family. All of any assets will go for his lawyers.
There should be some way to get the lawyers less involved in things like this, repay the victims families and still make sure that a lesson is learned.

Wake Havasu
05-11-2006, 01:33 PM
I know it was a very irresponsible decision to take people out in the boat after drinking all night BUT who here hasn't been there and done that?
I havent.
The man should be shot.
Tortured for months and then shot.

Mrs.Racer277
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I havent.
The man should be shot.
He has to live with everyday what he did.

djunkie
05-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Was this the boat? May be a lesson to others to see what drunk boating can lead too.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13572&stc=1

schlepy
05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I havent.
The man should be shot.
You have never had a beer and driven a boat in your entire life???????
I agree that this guy has to live the rest of his life knowing what he has done. He must live everyday knowing he took several peoples lives and there is nothing he can do about it. I'm sure he never planned for this to happen and I pray for both sides. I have lost friends in both boating and car accidents and never ever wished death to the person who cased it.

FreshTracks
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I havent.
The man should be shot.
Your an idiot..

schlepy
05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Your an idiot..
my thoughts exactly

vmjtc3
05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I have never drank as much as 1 beer and operated my boat.
I also believe there need's to be very harsh and swift punishment for dui/oui.
But where do you get off calling someone an idiot who thinks the guy should be shot for killing 4 people. Everyone says oh he has to live with what he did. Well boo- fricken who. Some people just dont get it. My familys life is worth more to me than anything and it gulls me to no end to know that there are wothless ****'s out there drinking and operating boats. It puts my life at risk as well as yours. So before you call a man an idiot for his opinion, think about all the un-needed loss of life do to someone elses lack of respect for the law. I can not defend a man who killed four people. But I will defend a man who thinks the prick should be shot.

FreshTracks
05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
But where do you get off calling someone an idiot who thinks the guy should be shot for killing 4 people. Everyone says oh he has to live with what he did. Well boo- fricken who. Some people just dont get it. My familys life is worth more to me than anything and it gulls me to no end to know that there are wothless ****'s out there drinking and operating boats. It puts my life at risk as well as yours. So before you call a man an idiot for his opinion, think about all the un-needed loss of life do to someone elses lack of respect for the law. I can not defend a man who killed four people. But I will defend a man who thinks the prick should be shot.
The judge and jury who heard ALL the evidence doesn't think he should be shot, nor do I hear the families who were DIRECTLY affected saying he should be shot. I agree on harsh punishment for DUI/BUI, and I agree with capital punishment for intentional killing, however I still think Wake's remarks were idiotic.

schlepy
05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
will you pull the trigger?????? I think that living and reliving that day is way worse for someone than getting shot. sorry i think that statement is ****ing stupid.

vmjtc3
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
:argue: :argue:

piper
05-11-2006, 04:40 PM
I see everyone arguing here regarding this. Mixed feelings about the event and the results. Everyone can have an opinion. There is no need to attack each other here on the boards or anywhere else.
Jennifer was my girlfriend. I miss her very much and I think about her everyday. I thought that by coming out here to Iraq it would help me get my mind off the accident but it hasn't. Dale was a good friends of ours too. I lost 2 people close to me that night.
It could of been prevented, but no one did anything about it. Jennifer and the others got in that boat and let Scott drive. Now Scott will have to live with that for the rest of his life. Plus he will lose his freedom for a possible nine years. Yes I am angry about what happened, but I am sure Scott is sorry and regrets it.
I know how important life is as many of you do too. I like many others out here risk our lives everyday.
All I can say is..... I miss her more and more everyday.
Piper

schlepy
05-11-2006, 04:45 PM
how do you know that this guy has no remorse for what he did? do you know him? i'm sure he is pretty ****ed up over it. like i said before, i pray for both sides of this and hope that they can all get through this. yes, if someone intentionally plans a murder i think that person has a fair chance at receiving the death penalty.
believe me i have had my fair share of friends passing away by drunk drivers and just out f***ing around in cars. i've seen what accidently killing someone does to a person. its pretty f***ed up ie: depression, suicide, losing everything they own etc....

schlepy
05-11-2006, 04:47 PM
god bless you Piper, thanks for going to Iraq for us. And we are all very sorry for your lose. I lost a friend a few years back in Parker due to a drunk driver too. Thoughts are prayers will always be with them, no matter what..........

vmjtc3
05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Piper, I am sorry for your loss.
Point taken . I will refrain from posting any more on this subject.
And thank you for what you do for me, and our country

piper
05-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I just don't want to see anyone arguing. We are all boaters. We all have fun together. Many of us have crossed paths at rivers and lakes.
What happened is sad and everyone misses their loved ones. Let's not make it uglier on here.
Thanks for all of your support in the past, present, and future.

vmjtc3
05-11-2006, 04:57 PM
you are right.

Flying Tiger
05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
It's a new era,, operate your boat sober.

Racer277
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Thanks Piper
You know we'll see you when you get back.
Watch your ass

v-drive
05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I work with a man that knows Scott personally. We all have done stupid things but have been fortunate to escape most times without consequence.
Scott should and does accept full responsibility for what happened. In my mind this is why the sentence is lenient but like other people have said he will live with this for the rest of his life. v-drive

Mrs.Racer277
05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I just don't want to see anyone arguing. We are all boaters. We all have fun together. Many of us have crossed paths at rivers and lakes.
What happened is sad and everyone misses their loved ones. Let's not make it uglier on here.
Thanks for all of your support in the past, present, and future.
Piper, I am sooooo sorry. I hope you recieved my email before you logged on to HB today. I knew this would tear you up all over again. It did me.
Stay strong hun.
XXOO
Dia

Mrs.Racer277
05-11-2006, 07:17 PM
I work with a man that knows Scott personally. We all have done stupid things but have been fortunate to escape most times without consequence.
Scott should and does accept full responsibility for what happened. In my mind this is why the sentence is lenient but like other people have said he will live with this for the rest of his life. v-drive
This is very true.

Wake Havasu
05-11-2006, 09:23 PM
This is what's wrong with our society. Don't like the fact that somebody broke the law, let's tortue and kill them. Don't like neighborhood punks stealing your CDs, grab a gun, because it's a great idea to shoot a 15 year old kid for stealing $50 worth of CDs.
Maybe you tough talkers should actually pick up a gun, aim it at somebody and pull the trigger. See what kind of warm, fuzzy feeling that leaves you with for the rest of your life.
Your ability to write off 4 humans killed as simply "breaking the law" is what’s wrong with my country.
Your attitude is why manslaughter is repeated.
If anyone hits me drunk boating and kill my kids...
They should pray for the longest sentence possible.

Her454
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Piper, I am sorry for your loss and I respect your level headed attitude and honesty regarding the situation. I have been in a boat with driver's that have been drinking and have had a few myself while driving in the past. Irresponsibly risking the lives of others no matter what you want to call it. I don't do it anymore for this very reason and all the visibility over the past few years and how it really brings it close to home with the loss of life.
I can't even imagine if I were to lose a loved one or a child in an accident like this and the mixed emotion I would feel in the same situation.
Arguing will not bring anyone back or help in any way but to keep the wound open for all involved. No one really knows what they would do until it happens to you, GOD FORBID.
The real crime here would be letting those people die in vain and not learing a lesson from it. Teach your kids to be responsible from the results here and remember it each time you are driving and responsible for other peoples lives.
It can happen to you.

LHC Kirby
05-11-2006, 09:41 PM
This is a sore subject with me because this could've been 100% prevented, the driver obviously doesn't have enough dicipline or respect for himself and others and thinks "it'll be ok, i can drive drunk, who knows how many other times ive done it before".....it pisses me off to no end to actually know 50% or more are boating intoxicated, if your gonna drink ? fine but let someone else drive that is sober and put your pride on hold...
Rant is over... :)
AA++