core attitude
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Bad call in tonights game. :yuk:

Holland
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
total BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shiatty arse call cost the game

Kilrtoy
10-13-2005, 07:08 PM
That was not a bad call, THAT WAS THE WORST CALL IN BASEBALL........
Angels were just jinx by this piece of shit

GrapeApe
10-13-2005, 07:10 PM
He called the Batter out Twice.. Damn that Umpire must be on the Sox Payroll...
*** Grape Ape ***

cyclone
10-13-2005, 07:10 PM
i loved how the umpire calls it a strike not once but twice and then changes his mind just because the runner headed for first. total crap.

TCHB
10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Instant Reply is coming now.
That call was bad and the ump used his arm signal also to call him out.
Bullshit

ahhell
10-13-2005, 07:14 PM
it was a catch...no error, he'd of thrown to first on a bounce

INSman
10-13-2005, 07:14 PM
I have played baseball and softball for decades now and that has to be the worst call I have ever seen, first calls strike 3 then signals the out then get's friggin' amnesia :jawdrop: :hammer2: :eat:

THOR
10-13-2005, 07:15 PM
It's still a strike and a strikeout, the running to first is incidental of the strikeout. In this case, the pitcher is credited with a strikeout and the batter reaches first on the catcher's error. The way it was called on the field was absolutely correct, but the catcher appeared to catch the ball. In any case, most major league catchers throw that down to first out of habit.
Not really. First, the ball didnt hit the ground making it an out. Second, the home plate umpire called the strike and rung him for it. No balls by the head ump.

JetBoatRich
10-13-2005, 07:16 PM
It's still a strike and a strikeout, the running to first is incidental of the strikeout. In this case, the pitcher is credited with a strikeout and the batter reaches first on the catcher's error. The way it was called on the field was absolutely correct, but the catcher appeared to catch the ball. In any case, most major league catchers throw that down to first out of habit.
Exactly :frown: bad call, but play the game. Unless he yelled the out(which we could not hear) keep playing. The other side he felt the catch and felt it was out, why throw to first :confused:
Just BS

Skullinator
10-13-2005, 07:17 PM
That Has Got To Take The Cake Total Bs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:18 PM
He straight armed the swing(3rd strike) and then clearly called the batter out with a second motion..... by calling the batter out the inning IS over..... Is there such a thing as an appeal?? this seems rather clear cut to me

THOR
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
He straight armed the swing(3rd strike) and then clearly called the batter out with a second motion..... by calling the batter out the inning IS over..... Is there such a thing as an appeal?? this seems rather clear cut to me
Exactly. I am not sure if he can protest. There is no such thing as an appeal, but he can file a protest.

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Bullshit.... he called the 3rd strike with the straight arm call... then called the 3rd out inning over

THOR
10-13-2005, 07:23 PM
You played baseball, you know the rule, I'm assuming. It is a strike and a strikeout. If the pitch wasn't called a strike, the pitcher could not get credit for a strikeout. The error was charged on the catcher, Paul. Interesting enough, he's the Angel's third catcher, he was in the game because they had pinch run for Molina earlier in the game. Never take a defensive catcher out of the game for a pinch runner in a playoff game. Lesson learned for Mike Scoscia.
I did play minor league ball and know the rule. He rung him after the swing and the ball didnt hit the ground. There is no way to 'interpret' that. The rule is what it is. The ump waved his hand for a no contact then rung him for the out.

core attitude
10-13-2005, 07:23 PM
I apologize........you are correct........That was not a bad call, THAT WAS THE WORST CALL IN BASEBALL........
and you are probably correct here also.
Angels were just jinx by this piece of shit
Pete

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:25 PM
You played baseball, you know the rule, I'm assuming. It is a strike and a strikeout. If the pitch wasn't called a strike, the pitcher could not get credit for a strikeout. The error was charged on the catcher, Paul. Interesting enough, he's the Angel's third catcher, he was in the game because they had pinch run for Molina earlier in the game. Never take a defensive catcher out of the game for a pinch runner in a playoff game. Lesson learned for Mike Scoscia.
you are the baseball idiot.... the staright arm call is the 3rd strike... if the homeplate blue had stopped after that there ABSOLUTELY would be a need for a tag or the throw to first... when he motioned the 2nd time he is out.... 3rd out AKA inning over AKA ball dead .... Bullshit, UNPRO call by the blue behind the dish... insman said it best AMNESIA

Rexone
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
It appeared to me in the closeup the ball hit the dirt before the glove but he swung and was called out and that shoulda been that, game over. That will go down as one of the most contraversial calls of all time especially if the Sox end up winning the series.

JetBoatRich
10-13-2005, 07:30 PM
It appeared to me in the closeup the ball hit the dirt before the glove but he swung and was called out and that shoulda been that, game over. That will go down as one of the most contraversial calls of all time especially if the Sox end up winning the series.
it will get a lot attention :yuk:

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:31 PM
He did not CALL him out. Turn on Sportscenter right now. John Kruk just gave you Baseball 101. He said that ANY veteran catcher will wait for the out call and tag the runner or throw down to first. He said the reason Pierzinski ran to first is because he was never VERBALLY called out by the umpire. Bottom line, it was a horrible call, but like I said, baseball history is full of them. He should have thrown the ball down to first.
bs... i couldnt give a shit about kruks opinion, this is not an opinion call on what josh Paul could have done to be sure... he rung him up and then called the batter OUT/ period stop defending the umpire... he ****ed up

mororless
10-13-2005, 07:32 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

JetBoatRich
10-13-2005, 07:34 PM
To elaborate, he was never CALLED out. The umpire made a couple signals, but both the catcher and the hitter said that the umpire never made a verbal call.
I said that in an earlier post :confused: we can't hear the call, in this case no call :confused: so play it out.
he acted to quick and tossed the ball to the mound :devil:

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Neither the batter nor the catcher can SEE the umpire. They wait for the call. I've seen catchers turn to the ump and ask if the batter is out, then throw down to first. I'm a baseball idiot? That's rich.
Did you see the first straight arm call of strike 3?
I hope so..... he has now officially motioned the batter struck out
If there was any question as to if the ball hitting the ground this is now where the blue behind the dish stops and waits for play to continue...but
Did you see him pause, make his fist and call the batter out?
I hope so... now the inning is over.... ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR A THROW

Charley
10-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah, because you certainly know more about baseball than Johnny Kruk. Have you ever actually played baseball?
Little League, Pony, Colt, American Legion, High School and connie mack 14 years total 5 of which were year round, 4 time allstar...how about you ?

JetBoatRich
10-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I bet Benji would have tagged him :cry:

Rexone
10-13-2005, 07:43 PM
After listening to the rules a strike out doesn't mean an out and the runner is free to run to first if not called out verbally by the ump. So if the ump actually thought it hit the dirt and didn't make the verbal call accordingly even though he indicated a strike out, the batter was actually free to run and the catcher screwed up by not throwing to first.
Not a popular outcome for Angles fans but may be the way it went down.

INSman
10-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Did you see the first straight arm call of strike 3?
I hope so..... he has now officially motioned the batter struck out
If there was any question as to if the ball hitting the ground this is now where the blue behind the dish stops and waits for play to continue...but
Did you see him pause, make his fist and call the batter out?
I hope so... now the inning is over.... ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR A THROW
EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!

Charley
10-13-2005, 08:07 PM
OK.... as an angel fan Im really pissed....#1 Shockwave bob I apologize for losing my temper and making the comment about you being a baseball idiot...it was wrong and I apologize.
In hindsight I wish JP had applied a simple tag but I still think that with the umpires fist he made the call.... 99% of umpires motion strikes with the right hand, most use a pointed finger.... when he clasps a fist and makes it an out... how many umpires still CALL "OUTS" verbally?? "yerrrr outtttt"....gimme a break it reminds me of naked gun!

Moneypitt
10-13-2005, 08:25 PM
The first arm signal, the horizonal one, indicated he swung and did not foul tip the ball, then the second, fist up, elbow bent up, signals a strike,(not an out). If for example the hitter foul tiped the ball, the ump would indicate that with the glancing of one hand off the other.....then the same strike call,(unless it was the third in which case the foul tip sign would be all he would do)........IMO the catcher had the webbing under the ball, yes the ball changed directions as it rattled into the pocket of the glove, but it did not hit the dirt. Why not look at that brand new baseball for any signs of contact with the dirt?? IMO the Angels were robbed. They may have lost in extra innings, or the game could still be going on into the night...MP

Charley
10-13-2005, 08:35 PM
The first arm signal, the horizonal one, indicated he swung and did not foul tip the ball, then the second, fist up, elbow bent up, signals a strike,(not an out).
I have to disagree (STILL) how many times have we seen the called 3rd strike in the dirt, and the catcher applies a tag at which point the blue makes his fist and calls him OUT... and I must add the blue decalres him out "not out loud" Most of the time..... think about it every force play to first... its a fist... it means OUT... the fist means OUT

Charley
10-13-2005, 08:46 PM
this is interesting.... mlb official rules section 9.05
"Do not come running with your arm up or down, denoting "out" or "safe." Wait until the play is completed before making any arm motion."
further in 9.05 "Each umpire team should work out a simple set of signals, so the proper umpire can always right a manifestly wrong decision when convinced he has made an error. "
oh and by the way shockwave bob here is another "GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO UMPIRE Umpires, on the field, should not indulge in conversation with players. " lol :D

Charley
10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
ML umpires make about 80k a year don't they?

Charley
10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
PERSONAL: Douglas Eddings...born on September 14, 1968 in Las Cruces, NM...currently resides in Las Cruces, NM...single...attended New Mexico State University... began umpiring Little League games at the age of 14...enjoys golf, working out and riding his Harley-Davidson...would want to be a Secret Service agent if he was not an umpire.
This is Proof he makes bad decisions.... he owns a Harley! lol JK :)
I guess if we are gonna pay a guy 100k a year to make bad calls i'd prefer it to be on the ball field instesd of involving national security ;)

Charley
10-14-2005, 07:24 AM
He did not CALL him out. Turn on Sportscenter right now. John Kruk just gave you Baseball 101. He said that ANY veteran catcher will wait for the out call and tag the runner or throw down to first.
Don't know if you saw the later edition of Sports-Center but Mr Kruk did a little Flip Flop....After taking Eddings post game comments about his fist meaning a strike they reviewed the whole game and found an instance where benjie Molina struck out on a ball in the dirt... after the tag was applied eddings made the fist to indicate he was out..... Kruk further stated a 2nd fist should have been made if his "signals" were to be interpreted properly...... he concurred he DID understand why the angels were confused and implied a bogus call which Harold Reynolds also agreed with.. :notam:

Roxysnow
10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Have to agree with Charley on this one! Totally a bogus call last nite. The Ump never said "Ball in Play" either. And motioned the 3rd stike. Meaning OUT! Why through the ball when the inning is over. Take a look at the replay. Every other ump out there were walking away too. As if the play were over. Being a veteran or not has nothing to do with a bad call. And automatically tagging him only assumes the ball hit the ground.