PDA

View Full Version : Alpine amp question

LAFD
10-14-2005, 09:56 AM
hopfully someone can help me i have a alpine mrdm605 amp two run my two jl 10w'6s. when i turn the sterio up the subs are hittin but not as hard as they should and than the subs shut downs and the display says that its getting to much voltage. how is that possible. any help would be appreciated...

rivercrazy
10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Is that a two channel class A/B amp or a single channel class D amp? How are the two subs wired to the amp and what ohm load is the amp seeing?

LAFD
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
its a class d amp single channel. i have the two subs wired positive positive negative negative. is there any other way to do it??? how would i figure out the ohm load???im not sterio savy so bare with me.

Flashover
10-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Single coil JL or dual Voice coil JL and what impeadance are they?

LAFD
10-14-2005, 12:32 PM
not sure, this is what i have. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

rivercrazy
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Those JL subs are dual voice coil 4 ohm subs.
You have two choices on how to wire them up to your amp.
4ohm load : http://www.jbl.com/car/support/SubwooferWiring/sub_wiring_diagram.aspx?type=2-4-4
Or if you amp is 1 ohm stable: http://www.jbl.com/car/support/SubwooferWiring/sub_wiring_diagram.aspx?type=2-4-1
However, if you amplifer is not 1 ohm stable and you wire it for 1 ohm, it will shut down after a short time playing. And wiring it this way can also damage your amplifer.

LAFD
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Those JL subs are dual voice coil 4 ohm subs.
You have two choices on how to wire them up to your amp.
4ohm load : http://www.jbl.com/car/support/SubwooferWiring/sub_wiring_diagram.aspx?type=2-4-4
Or if you amp is 1 ohm stable: http://www.jbl.com/car/support/SubwooferWiring/sub_wiring_diagram.aspx?type=2-4-1
However, if you amplifer is not 1 ohm stable and you wire it for 1 ohm, it will shut down after a short time playing. And wiring it this way can also damage your amplifer.
heres the amp i have what would be the best way.
http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRD-M605&p_category=40&p_subcategory=140&p_main=10

rivercrazy
10-14-2005, 12:48 PM
I just looked up your amplifer. It actually only puts out maximum power of 400 watts at 2 ohms and 250 watts at 4 ohms (at 12 volts).
Its only stable at 2 ohm so wiring it to achieve a 4 ohm load is your only option. In this configuration, your amp is only producing 250 watts total or 125 watts each to your JL woofers. Those JL's can easily handle 350-400 watts each.
What you need is either:
* two single voice coil 4 ohm subs
* Two dual voice coil 2 ohm subs
* A more powerful amp if you want to keep those JL's

rivercrazy
10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Regarding your other questions about why the amp is cutting out. Only three things come to mind for me:
1) The amp is defective
2) Your vehicles voltage regulator is not working correctly
3) To compensate for the subs not being that loud your cranking the volume really high causing the amp to clip.
I think #3 is the most likely scenario. How long does it play before cutting out? Does it not cut out when you play it at moderate volumes?

LAFD
10-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Regarding your other questions about why the amp is cutting out. Only three things come to mind for me:
1) The amp is defective
2) Your vehicles voltage regulator is not working correctly
3) To compensate for the subs not being that loud your cranking the volume really high causing the amp to clip.
I think #3 is the most likely scenario. How long does it play before cutting out? Does it not cut out when you play it at moderate volumes?
i am turning it up loud but the subs arent hittin hard enough for the sub amp to turnoff. but now that i think of it i dont the the wires are on the subs to make it 4ohm.

rivercrazy
10-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Just by Hustler some beers. He will fix it for you! :D

Hustler
10-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I told him I would help him with the whole thing but I really have not had the time and I feel bad but he's done pretty good on his own so far.

LAFD
10-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Just by Hustler some beers. He will fix it for you! :D
hahaha no doubt. im gunna pull the subs out tomorrow i dont think there area any wires on it. bought the subs from coletrickle.

LAFD
10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I told him I would help him with the whole thing but I really have not had the time and I feel bad but he's done pretty good on his own so far.
yeah you should feel bad. haha im learnin thanks to everyone on this site..

Flashover
10-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Also from my years of experience with alpine, They don't make the best of sub amps. Especialy at low impeadances.. :clover:

LAFD
10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Also from my years of experience with alpine, They don't make the best of sub amps. Especialy at low impeadances.. :clover:
like i said before im not a genious at sterios so i just told roz what i had and this is what he recommended. so im just goin with what he told me and im sure its something im doin which i think i know now what the problem is i will forsure find out tomorrow when i pull the sub out.

Flashover
10-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Good luck with it i hope you get it fixed, I now how anoying these problems can be... :clover: :clover:

LAFD
10-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Good luck with it i hope you get it fixed, I now how anoying these problems can be... :clover: :clover:
yeah its been a couple month project with getting everything together and not knowing what your doin doesnt help but with everyone on here and some other friends its almost done. will figure it out tomorrow night.

LAFD
10-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Ok so i dont think that i have the wires connected to make it a 2ohm on the subs so what kinda wire would i need to achieve this anything special????

ROZ
10-15-2005, 10:56 AM
2 things... Are the 12w6's you have the new ones with the silver trim ring, or are the version 1 all black ones? It's possible you have them wired too low depending on the total inpedance of the speaker older versions of thew6 were avail in a couple loads. The new will play only 2 or 8 per speaker...
Another thing is in the amp setup.
in the setup mode:
1-1 the input should be set to 2
1-2 should be set to 0db
2-1 low pass set to "on"
3-1 is the subsonic filter "on"
3-2 should be at 25hz
4-1 is the eq "on"
4-2 @ 50hz
4-3 @ .5
4-4 @ 10
5-1 is the bass compensation "on"
5-2 @ on
0-1 is the memory "yes"
0-2 @ "yes"
Also, just because you have 2 seperate speaker connections on the sub amp doesn't mean the load from each speaker is indepentent. The total load on the amp is what the amp will see. So, the speakers wired in parallel are giving you a combined 1 ohm load.... I'd series the coils yeilding a 4ohm total load then set the amp up and rock on... :D

LAFD
10-15-2005, 11:12 AM
2 things... Are the 12w6's you have the new ones with the silver trim ring, or are the version 1 all black ones? It's possible you have them wired too low depending on the total inpedance of the speaker older versions of thew6 were avail in a couple loads. The new will play only 2 or 8 per speaker...
Another thing is in the amp setup.
in the setup mode:
1-1 the input should be set to 2
1-2 should be set to 0db
2-1 low pass set to "on"
3-1 is the subsonic filter "on"
3-2 should be at 25hz
4-1 is the eq "on"
4-2 @ 50hz
4-3 @ .5
4-4 @ 10
5-1 is the bass compensation "on"
5-2 @ on
0-1 is the memory "yes"
0-2 @ "yes"
Also, just because you have 2 seperate speaker connections on the sub amp doesn't mean the load from each speaker is indepentent. The total load on the amp is what the amp will see. So, the speakers wired in parallel are giving you a combined 1 ohm load.... I'd series the coils yeilding a 4ohm total load then set the amp up and rock on... :D
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: holy crap you should see the look on my face right now it looks like this guy -> :jawdrop: :jawdrop: so let me try to answer some question. i have two jl 10w'6s with the black rings. im almost forsure that i dont have the subs wired for the ohms. im gunna pull the subs out tonight and see. and if i dont have the wires on there how should it be wired? and the settings you have posted on here thats how i should have it in the sub amp?

Hustler
10-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Roz, if wiring them parallel should you just use one speaker out on the amp or should you use one termal from each also from talking to LAFD it sounds like he does not have the jumper in there. What voice coil should he jumper? VC 2 ?

LAFD
10-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Roz, if wiring them parallel should you just use one speaker out on the amp or should you use one termal from each also from talking to LAFD it sounds like he does not have the jumper in there. What voice coil should he jumper? VC 2 ?
according to the owners manual if wiring them parallel for 2ohm it says use two jumpers one from vc1- to vc2- and one from vc1+ to vc2+ sound right?

ROZ
10-15-2005, 12:25 PM
i have two jl 10w'6s with the black rings.
These subs were available in different impedances. Meter it or look for a stamp on it stating the impedance.
im almost forsure that i dont have the subs wired for the ohms. im gunna pull the subs out tonight and see. and if i dont have the wires on there how should it be wired?
Once you know what impedance subs you have, you can work out how to wire them to achieve the resistance needed.
the settings you have posted on here thats how i should have it in the sub amp?
Yes, that's the way the sub amp's parameters should be set to make it booooom :D

Flashover
10-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Roz
I have been out of the car audio game for a few years now thank god, But on these alpine amps do you no longer need to take the R+ and the L- to bridge the amp? :crossx:

ROZ
10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
according to the owners manual if wiring them parallel for 2ohm it says use two jumpers one from vc1- to vc2- and one from vc1+ to vc2+ sound right?
That sounds right, but that 2 ohms is for 1 speaker.... If you had one speaker only, the load on your amp would be 2 ohms. Because you have 2 speakers, the load is decreased and becomes 1 ohm... That is too low for your amp... If you know the sub is a 4ohm's then you can wire the vc's in series. When you hook both drivers to the amp in their respective terminals, you'll have a 4ohm load.. The amp should liven up for ya :D

LAFD
10-15-2005, 12:38 PM
That sounds right, but that 2 ohms is for 1 speaker.... If you had one speaker only, the load on your amp would be 2 ohms. Because you have 2 speakers, the load is decreased and becomes 1 ohm... That is too low for your amp... If you know the sub is a 4ohm's then you can wire the vc's in series. When you hook both drivers to the amp in their respective terminals, you'll have a 4ohm load.. The amp should liven up for ya :D
so i should have the jumpers on vc1- to vc2+ which is for 8ohm.

ROZ
10-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Roz
I have been out of the car audio game for a few years now thank god, But on these alpine amps do you no longer need to take the R+ and the L- to bridge the amp? :crossx:
You speak of 2c channel amps.. There was a time frame that mono amps had only a positive and negative terminal, but now most manufactures put a pair of speaker terminals on a mono amp for converneice...

ROZ
10-15-2005, 12:49 PM
so i should have the jumpers on vc1- to vc2+ which is for 8ohm.
Provided the speaker is 4ohm, yes. at that point you can wire the speaker normal to your amp's respective pos and neg termninals...