PDA

View Full Version : Batteries???

davis777
10-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on marine batteries. I am always battling keeping my 2 batteries juiced up. I have a 496 mag and it has a 65 amp alternator and i am running a JL Audio system.
Would a capasitor help? After a long weekend i always have to pull out the batteries and put them on a charger in the garage. Are those Optimum Sealed batteries a better bet? I already have great Deep Cycle Batteries as it is but the JL Audio System just sucks them dry.
Any Tips?

BADASS38CHEVY
10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Im running 2 of the oddessy 2150 batteries with 2 jl audio 1000/1 and 3 300/4 and they hold up really good.last about 3 to 4 hours pumping 2900 watts at about 1/2 volume.These batteries are the best ones to run i think for the size and weight.Heres a link http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150.htm

phebus
10-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Definately go with good batteries, but regardless of what batteries you use, after a couple of days of use with a decent stereo system any battery will need charging. A 65 amp alternator won't put enough charge back in compared to what the stereo system is taking out, so you will always be running negative. If you don't store your batteries with a full state of charge, you will really shorten their life span. Get a good "smart charger", and store the boat with the charger on.

djunkie
10-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Definately go with good batteries, but regardless of what batteries you use, after a couple of days of use with a decent stereo system any battery will need charging. A 65 amp alternator won't put enough charge back in compared to what the stereo system is taking out, so you will always be running negative. If you don't store your batteries with a full state of charge, you will really shorten their life span. Get a good "smart charger", and store the boat with the charger on.
Thats what I do. I have a charger that will automatically turn off when the batteries are charged. I always put it on the night before taking the boat out and after the boat is used and put away. 2I've got 2 years now on my batteries and have never had a single problem.

davis777
10-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the Oddesy Link- what does that Battery Retail for?

jbtrailerjim
10-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Another vote for Odyssey. I'm running 2-2150's in my boat for my system and they work great.

FLOJO
10-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I Put A Cap In My System And It Seems To Help Out Alot. Iam Runing 2 Sony 12in Subs With A 1000 Watt Sony Expold Amp With Two Gel Batts And I Played For About 5hours For Two Days With No Problems.

davis777
10-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey Guys thanks!! Good Tips!