PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Chine Walk

jdogginla
10-15-2005, 06:13 AM
Someone give me the definition of Chine Walk? :mix:

Havasu Hangin'
10-15-2005, 06:15 AM
A chine walk is better than a chine run.
:supp:
Actually, I believe a "chine walk" is when the stern starts rocking back and forth (from chine to chine) at higher speeds. It's usually caused by too much stern-lift.
Remember the "speed wobbles" on your skateboard when you were a kid? Remember how scary it was?

jdogginla
10-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Actually, I believe a "chine walk" is when the stern starts rocking back and forth (from chine to chine) at higher speeds. It's usually caused by too much stern-lift.
Remember the "speed wobbles" on your skateboard when you were a kid? Remember how scary it was?
Thanks.........that's what i figured, but saw it mentioned alot lately so i just wanted clarification.
Thank god my jet skii's don't do that shit........LOL

Powerquestboy
10-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Chine walk is when your boat tider toders side to side and basically bounces off its chines at speed. Its pretty scarry sometimes but can be corrected with trim or adding throttle. <-- Laymans terms

Jbb
10-15-2005, 06:42 AM
given the right speeds...and conditions.....sheer terror ...is an accurate description.... :redface:

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 07:00 AM
given the right speeds...and conditions.....sheer terror ...is an accurate description.... :redface:
Baby.
It's all in a day's work when you run a 16' V hull up in the 80s and 90s. :cool:

Throttle
10-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Chine walk is when your boat tider toders side to side and basically bounces off its chines at speed. Its pretty scarry sometimes but can be corrected with trim or adding throttle. <-- Laymans terms
did you say add "throttle"?
:D

boxscore
10-15-2005, 07:10 AM
The scary thing is how some V's are more prone to it than others. I once had a boat the would get real exciting at only about 55mph :2purples:

Jbb
10-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Baby.
It's all in a day's work when you run a 16' V hull up in the 80s and 90s. :cool:
Keep you vee hull.....and your chine walk.....One ride in a cat for you ...Brown.......would probably bring you to orgasm.......eeeewwwww :D

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Keep you vee hull.....and your chine walk.....One ride in a cat for you ...Brown.......would probably bring you to orgasm.......eeeewwwww :D
I would be the first time I've orgasmed in a tunnel.

Captain Dan
10-15-2005, 07:47 AM
It's like you're doing 90 across the whoops and your handlebars start slapping full-lock from side to side, only on water.
At that point, your mind wanders into "I wonder if my Life Ins is up to date", just before you crap your pants.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-15-2005, 07:48 AM
mmmmmm I dont think so, maybe getting off the trottle :D

nhbuoy
10-15-2005, 07:56 AM
...I could tell you guys what it is, what causes it, and how to minimize it, BUT, I don't think you guys have a long enough attention span & I don't have any spare time today to write a longish essay for you guys to NOT read & make fun of it because it's too long, too technical, & won't have pictures... :cool:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-15-2005, 08:00 AM
...I could tell you guys what it is, what causes it, and how to minimize it, BUT, I don't think you guys have a long enough attention span & I don't have any spare time today to write a longish essay for you guys to NOT read & make fun of it because it's too long, too technical, & won't have pictures... :cool:
HUH man you need to get laid LMAO

Jbb
10-15-2005, 08:11 AM
You right....you are probably so smart..Its doubtfull you would fit in here...with us dummies.....on your way to a Mensa meeting,no doubt.... :D

Captain Dan
10-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I got lost at "longish".

Beer-30
10-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Your chines don't stay healthy unless they run, walking is not good enough. :hammerhea

Boa1277
10-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Damn, I was hoping for pictures and I figured if anyone had them it would be you nhbuoy.. :cry:

boater72
10-15-2005, 10:04 AM
That's for sure in a flatty.
Chine in a flatty=crash 90% of the time!!

nhbuoy
10-15-2005, 10:18 AM
...Jeez...I was only messin with ya...Boy..you guys can dish it out, but can't take it...It was just for fun... :yuk: ...besides...I thought all the kids were out of the pool...I'm pretty sure it was adult swim at the time...sorry kids...

superdave013
10-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Oh I would love to read it. Please post away when you get a chance!

Schiada76
10-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Isn't it what happens just before you hook it and go swimming at about 70 mph? :D
Good thing no one was seriously injured.
Then when you take the boat back to the manufacturer he cuts it up into little pieces before the marine surveyor shows up to inspect it for evidence in the law suit.
Yup I think that's chine walk all right! :eek:

Sane Asylum
10-15-2005, 10:33 AM
What he said......Say around 90-95mph when it starts doing it......My arse is usually pulling about a 25 inch vacuum on whatever bolster I'm in..... :frown: :2purples:

Sane Asylum
10-15-2005, 10:35 AM
He was talking about boats other than Commanders........ :D :D

Moneypitt
10-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by SHAKE-YO-AZZ
mmmmmm I dont think so, maybe getting off the trottle
Wouldn't that lead to Bow steering?????...........MP

Powerquestboy
10-15-2005, 10:50 AM
did you say add "throttle"?
:D
Actually my boat only did this to me once maybe twice so I dont have tons of experience with it but I adjusted the trim added some throttle, drove right through it. I know you can correct it by slowing down but it was never really a big problem for me. <-- boats not that fast

ROZ
10-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Gonna chine in here... Never been to china, but i did stay at a holiday in last night :D

Throttle
10-15-2005, 11:16 AM
thats really what i wuz thinkin.. :cry:

Forkin' Crazy
10-15-2005, 11:32 AM
Chine walking? I thought it was china walking. :rollside:
Mine will start doing it at 50.... at 90 it still does it. You have to give it input from the steering wheel to keep it in check. Over correcting can be your worst enemy.
Some one best described chining and a hull like my Allison, is "balancing the boat on a basket ball". :eek:
I like it though, it is never boring like those boats with training wheels. :cool:

Tahiti350
10-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Been there, done that, mid 60's. Backed off slightly, retrimmed and powered thru. That run was the best flat out run I've made yet, Prop calculator figures 66 and change. Not bad for what it is... :D

OGShocker
10-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Chine walk is a back-and-forth wobbling effect of the hull created when hydrodynamic forces try to balance the boat up on the primary pad and the supporting lifting strakes on each side of the pad. Each time a propeller blade enters the water and another exits, they are constantly trying to throw the boat off the pad. Now, if the prop is getting too much bite, it creates chine walking. This is typically results from improper rigging - not setting the motor at the right height.
Chine walk can be dangerous and can cause a wreck if it gets out of control. Do not try to drive a boat through a chine walk. Some boat drivers think if they keep trimming and adding power, the boat will stabalice itself. This kind of thinking will get you in trouble. The only way to eliminate chine walking is to reduce power and solve the problem either by adjusting the engine height and/or learning the proper way to drive your performance hull.
According to Bass Pro Shops.. :D

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Mine will start doing it at 50.... at 90 it still does it.
Yours too? :idea:
I'm pretty sure all pad-V hulls do it at certain speeds. I've tried a couple of dozen different props, all sorts of engine heights, three different gear cases (two different nose cones and a CLE) but nothing has completely eliminated it.
Maybe one of these folks who know all about it could help us out? Legions of Allison and HydroStream owners would be grateful as nobody has figured it out yet, that I've ever heard.

Havasu Hangin'
10-15-2005, 03:10 PM
With a pad bottom, it's probably a fine line between lift (speed) and balance (speed wobbles)....

Jbb
10-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Yours too? :idea:
I'm pretty sure all pad-V hulls do it at certain speeds. I've tried a couple of dozen different props, all sorts of engine heights, three different gear cases (two different nose cones and a CLE) but nothing has completely eliminated it.
Maybe one of these folks who know all about it could help us out? Legions of Allison and HydroStream owners would be grateful as nobody has figured it out yet, that I've ever heard.
Step up and buy a cat Tom......they dont chine walk.... :D

Creator
10-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Found this on
http://www.hydrostream.org/TechTalk/ChinewalkTheory.htm
Chinewalking Theory
Hi Randy,
Have just been reading your advice about chine walking and was interested to see that you believe chine walking to be controllable with driving experience. I have spent the last 6 months looking into boat dynamic stability and have found that trying to balance chine walking from the helm a very dangerous practice, chine walking should be known as 'Chine talking' it is the hull saying that it is going to fast for the hull design/setup. It is possible to delay the inception of chine walking with careful setup of the running gear such as raising the engine in some cases raising the cavitation plate up to 2'' above the keel, this reduces the effect the motor torque has on the hull by reducing the moment arm. The added bonus is the reduced wetted area decreases drag and so potentially increases speed if the hull can handle it. One of the most effective ways of reducing chine walking is to run large trim tabs mounted on the hull as wide as possible so that they are in contact when running at close to full speed. The other more drastic option is a twin motor setup, this gives the advantage of counter rotating props and so cancels out the torque affect which is believed to lead to chine walking inception. There is a great paper on planning boat dynamic stability titled 'Dynamic stability of planning boats' written by Donald L. Blount and Louis T. Codega published in Marine technology journal Vol29 Jan 1992. It is a very interesting read and throws up seem really interesting questions that I can't answer. Would be good to see what you make of many of the points in the journal and if you agree with my statements above.
Kind Regards,
Tim
Tim,
How do I say this without offending you. Your deductions and the journal you refer to are straight out of the 1960's. Hydrostreams, Allison's or any other pad V-hull go faster as the wetted surface decreases. Chine walk will increase and stability will decrease as the boat reduces its contact with the water. If it did not, or you used the tabs you refer to, the boat would be slow, end of story. This summer, I ran an Allison XR2002/Merc Drag engine at 129 mph in a standing start 1/2 mile. This combo weighs 1500 lbs with me in it. Trying to balance this boat on a 6" x 10" contact surface is only possible with steering and trim inputs. ALL Hi-Perf. V-Bottoms have this trait. Even a 40' Fountain will chine walk at speed. Chine walking is not a bad thing. It is your boat performing at a level that moves it out of the Bayliner category. The "raising the motor up to 2" above the keel" reads like 1960 Boat 101. The object of a pad hull is to get up on the pad, period. We need to get you to forget what you have read so far and move you to the next level. Mercury publishes a good Hi Performance boat operation manual. The part # is: 90-848481. This was written in the mid 1980's and unfortunately is the best over the shelf literature on the subject. Mercury goes in to quite good detail on the chinewalk subject. I will try to obtain permission to post this manual on Tech talk.
In closing, just remember chine walk is not bad or a flawed boat, setup, or exceeding the desire dimensions. Chine walk is your boat talking to you. If you give it what it wants it will be controlled and you will go faster. Just like a bike or better yet a unicycle, balance is the key. By using steering and trim inputs to control the torque of the motor against all the forces working against it, pad V-Bottom boats are a very efficient way of travel. By trying to control it by adding tabs or another motor (which will not stop a pad V-bottom from walking) you just end up going slow (so long as 2 motors don't exceed the power the single engine had). Unfortunately most of all the material available out there is so outdated that it's like 1970's computer compared to that as of today. Obsolete.
Please submit whatever questions you have to IHRTechTalk@yahoo.com. All questions and answers selected will be displayed on this page as they come in. Note: though all boaters are welcome, priority may be given to I.H.R. members. Randy can not be held responsible for any advice given. Though his information and expertise is second to none, he has no control over what you do with your boat. It is up to you to boat safely and act responsibly, and his advice is only to be used as a guidance for your high performance boat/motor of which you are the one responsible for the risks involved.
Thanks,
Mark C.

jdogginla
10-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Good find creator......... :)

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:05 PM
On my HST, I did one at 90 on the speedo and it scared the shiet out of me, later found out with the prop cal. it was around 110 mph.......( . )( . )........ :2purples: :eek: I went home right after that crap... :p

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:06 PM
I went home right after that crap... :p
And drank 3 cases of Labatts lite....and spent a record 16 hrs straight posting in bench racers.... :D

cc322
10-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Someone give me the definition of Chine Walk? :mix:
I think its a new dance, something between the two step and the electric slide :D

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:24 PM
And drank 3 cases of Labatts lite....and spent a record 16 hrs straight posting in bench racers.... :D
Close Brian, took it home and parked it for the winter..okay! Then spent the next year posting like a Ricer :p Not making any sence, but posting anyways :D .......( . )( . ).........

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Close Brian, took it home and parked it for the winter..okay! Then spent the next year posting like a Ricer :p Not making any sence, but posting anyways :D .......( . )( . ).........
Is it snowing there yet?
Ps ...worked on the hood & scoop today.. :eek:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
10-15-2005, 05:28 PM
He was talking about boats other than Commanders........ :D :D
he was also talking about boats then can do over 70 :D LMAO

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:31 PM
16 hours! :eek:
Trying to imagine what 16 hours of "You're gay..... No, you are!" hurts my head. :(

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
Chine walk is a back-and-forth wobbling effect of the hull created when hydrodynamic forces try to balance the boat up on the primary pad and the supporting lifting strakes on each side of the pad. Each time a propeller blade enters the water and another exits, they are constantly trying to throw the boat off the pad. Now, if the prop is getting too much bite, it creates chine walking. This is typically results from improper rigging - not setting the motor at the right height.
Chine walk can be dangerous and can cause a wreck if it gets out of control. Do not try to drive a boat through a chine walk. Some boat drivers think if they keep trimming and adding power, the boat will stabalice itself. This kind of thinking will get you in trouble. The only way to eliminate chine walking is to reduce power and solve the problem either by adjusting the engine height and/or learning the proper way to drive your performance hull.
According to Bass Pro Shops.. :D
Hay Sane you better sale it JK

Kim Hanson
Is it snowing there yet?
Ps ...worked on the hood & scoop today.. :eek:
No, its 48*F here and not to bad, just can't use the water anymore! Lets see that scoop thingey :wink: ......( . )( . )......You don't go fockin up a Cobra now.... :wink: :D :D You do work that is tit's, lets see it!

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:33 PM
16 hours! :eek:
Trying to imagine what 16 hours of "You're gay..... No, you are!" hurts my head. :(
Put on a toque buddy......( . )( . )........ :D :D

Jbb
No, its 48*F here and not to bad, just can't use the water anymore! Lets see that scoop thingey :wink: ......( . )( . )......You don't go fockin up a Cobra now.... :wink: :D :D You do work that is tit's, lets see it!
soon.....lol :cool:

Tom Brown
Chine walking is not a bad thing.
WTF!??? :eek:
Oh yeah... chine walking is a laugh a minute. :D :D

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:35 PM
He's from Scream & Fly, dumbass..........( . )( . )......... :crossx:

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:35 PM
You do work that is tit's, lets see it!
Brian works on tits? I thought he's been impotent since he started the 16 hour bench racer posting sessions?

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Brian works on tits? I thought he's been impotent since he started the 16 hour bench racer posting sessions?
impotent?........ :p

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:38 PM
impotent?........ :p
Yeah... but then I heard that from Roman 1 so the information is suspect.

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:39 PM
I thought it was from when he got this Cobra :frown: Im sure out of the loop now :frown: :D ..........( . )( . ).........

Creator
10-15-2005, 05:40 PM
If your going to quote my post at least state that I'm not the one who wrote that article. Don't shoot the messenger.
We had a 21 Lavey XCS with a HP500 back in '98 and at about 80 that thing would start to chine walk getting worse and worse as the speed increased. That scared the crap out of me every time.

Squirtin Thunder
10-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I heard that chine walking was just the way Kimmy does it, walks that is !!! :D

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I thought it was from when he got this Cobra :frown: Im sure out of the loop now :frown: :D ..........( . )( . ).........
Lots of recent updates with pics Kim....just go to my section.....uh....er...never mind... :D

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Don't shoot the messenger.
Someone needs to be flamed for that incorrect and dangerous information. Since Mark C. isn't around, you're the next obvious target.

Debbolas
10-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Wow,
NOT what I thought it was............................. :idea:
Debbolas<--------------thinking a Chine Walk was the way men hobble when they've just had their prostrates checked :D

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:46 PM
It's cause of the size of my balls I walk that way, blame God! :p ..........( . )( . ).......He told me JetBoat guys cross there legs like girls though..can't do that shiet! :p

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
that is called CRIP WALK

Jbb
Someone needs to be flamed for that incorrect and dangerous information. Since Mark C. isn't around, you're the next obvious target.
Thats why we call Tom.....The Enforcer... :p

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Lots of recent updates with pics Kim....just go to my section.....uh....er...never mind... :D
What was that place called again ? :D Focker........( . )( . )......... :D

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:49 PM
What was that place called again ? :D Focker........( . )( . )......... :D
Jbb's World.......where all......er....some ...are welcome... :p

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Wow,
NOT what I thought it was............................. :idea:
Debbolas<--------------thinking a Chine Walk was the way men hobble when they've just had their prostrates checked :D
Is that when we get to use the wheel chair.........( . )( . ).........that sounds nasty :p

Squirtin Thunder
10-15-2005, 05:51 PM
It's cause of the size of my balls I walk that way, blame God! :p ..........( . )( . ).......He told me JetBoat guys cross there legs like girls though..can't do that shiet! :p
Nope we walk like Roosters !!! And strut our stuff !!!

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:53 PM
The walk you speak of is because we can feel gel coming out of our ass and we're clenching like hell to keep it from wetting the ass of our pants and running down our pant legs.

Debbolas
Is that when we get to use the wheel chair.........( . )( . ).........that sounds nasty :p
:notam:

Kim Hanson
Jbb's World.......where all......er....some ...are welcome... :p
Are they ever going to let me back on? Or am I going to be the guy that goes down in history of being booted from there? :crossx: .........( . )( . ).......I wasn't that bad shit......... :D :D

Debbolas
10-15-2005, 05:54 PM
The walk you speak of is because we can feel gel coming out of our ass and we're clenching like hell to keep it from wetting the ass of our pants and running down our pant legs.
See, that definition is what "chine walk" sounds like............ :cool:

Tom Brown
...am I going to be the guy that goes down in history of being booted from there?
Going to be? :confused:

Jbb
lmao.......pearls Brown.....pearls...

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 05:55 PM
:notam:
If some Doctor just played with my ass ( inspected it ) I sure the hell would be chine walking and just sitting in a wheel chair to the truck sure would be a thought :p ............( . )( . )........

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:57 PM
If some Doctor just played with my ass ( inspected it ) I sure the hell would be chine walking and just sitting in a wheel chair to the truck sure would be a thought :p ............( . )( . )........
Kim... you're over 40. If you haven't had a doctor's finger up there, it's time.
Anal health is no joking matter.

Jbb
Are they ever going to let me back on? Or am I going to be the guy that goes down in history of being booted from there? :crossx: .........( . )( . ).......I wasn't that bad shit......... :D :D
The chances,im afraid, of you gettin back on......are about the same as Brown being elected Prime Minister... :D ...But,...for the record......If a vote comes up.....for the right amount of US currency......I will vote for you to come back in....hell ...they even banned RD ...and its his site.....tough crowd there... :D

Kim Hanson
Going to be? :confused:
Im there already Tom, you at the same place also? :D .......( . )( . ).........

Jbb
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Kim... you're over 40. If you haven't had a doctor's finger up there, it's time.
Time for Kimmy to do the Prostate shuffle..... :hammerhea

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Im there already Tom, you at the same place also? :D .......( . )( . ).........
I suppose that's a matter of opinion.
Anyway, forget that place. Why don't you give me a hand with my campaign for priminister?

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Nope and don't even talk about fingers up the arse, that freaks me out..........( . )( . ).......My arse works just fine, thanks for asking Buddy :eek: :D :D

Debbolas
Tom Brown for Prime Minister...........No one else knows more about what comes out of your ass :D

Jbb
What, if anything does Hansons prostate have to do with chine walking anyway..... :D

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 06:01 PM
What, if anything does Hansons prostate have to do with chine walking anyway..... :D
Both are about keeping it on the pad.

Jbb
10-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Nope and don't even talk about fingers up the arse, that freaks me out..........( . )( . ).......My arse works just fine, thanks for asking Buddy :eek: :D :D
Brown has come to look forward to it......at every visit.... :eek:

Tom Brown
10-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Brown has come to look forward to it......at every visit.... :eek:
I always ask if I can keep the glove for my collection.

Debbolas
10-15-2005, 06:10 PM
"Hey Doc, let's play stinky finger"

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Nope we walk like Roosters !!! And strut our stuff !!!
You have feather up you arse? :( That must hurt.......( . )( . )...... :D

Kim Hanson
10-15-2005, 06:14 PM
I suppose that's a matter of opinion.
Anyway, forget that place. Why don't you give me a hand with my campaign for priminister?
Dope and guns don't work for me, throw in some beer and we are good to go.......( . )( . )......... :wink:

Jbb
10-15-2005, 06:56 PM
I always ask if I can keep the glove for my collection.
Brown seeks out thick fingered doctors....