PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think

thebull
10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
100,000 homes proposed
SALTON SEA: Officials say such a development would pay to revive the ailing saltwater lake.
12:14 AM PDT on Wednesday, October 19, 2005
By HENRI BRICKEY / The Press-Enterprise
Proposed Salton Sea Economic Revitalization
The plan: More than 100,000 homes plus retail, industrial and business development.
Where: More than 300 square miles along the western shore of the Salton Sea
Timeline: Construction could begin in three years. Project would be built over 40 years
Officials say they finally have a plan to pay for the restoration of the ailing Salton Sea, and it involves building more than 100,000 homes along the western edge of California's largest lake.
The plan would cover 300 square miles, including a former military weapons test site. In addition to tens of thousands of new homes, the plan includes industrial and business parks, shopping centers and possibly an airport, said Ron Enzweiler, executive director of the Salton Sea Authority.
If plans to develop the Salton Sea's shores bear fruit, the area could end up with a population roughly equal to the current population of the Coachella Valley.
Officials hope to use taxes generated by the new homes and businesses to pay the bulk of the $1 billion required to clean up the Salton Sea. In order to finance the development plan, the authority wants to borrow $600 million through a bond issue.
The plan will go in front of the Salton Sea Authority board on Oct. 27. The meeting starts at 10 a.m. at the Imperial Irrigation District office, 1285 Broadway, in El Centro.
One board member said Tuesday that bonding for development may be the only way to ensure that the sea will ever be cleaned up.
"One of the biggest problems with the restoration of the Salton Sea has always been who is going to pay for it," said Imperial County Supervisor Gary Wyatt, president of the Salton Sea Authority. "Outside of this plan, there is no other plan. And that's the honest truth."
For years, officials have struggled to find a way to reverse the sea's declining health.
Two major things work against the Salton Sea: too much salt and too many nutrients. These two factors are to blame for most of the sea's problems, including the fish and algae die-offs that cause the stench often associated with the massive saltwater lake.
Officials are working on a plan that they hope will turn the sea into a more stable environment for wildlife. It involves a $1 billion project that would divide the Salton Sea in half with a dike. The northern end would be a saltwater lake, and the southern portion would end up as a salt sink.
Until now, there has never been a way to pay for the proposed cleanup project, which still hasn't been formally approved.
But before people get too excited about the idea of building homes to pay for the cleanup, one member of the Salton Sea Authority says more work needs to be done.
"We're getting ahead of ourselves," Riverside County Supervisor Marion Ashley, who also serves on the Salton Sea Authority board, said by phone Tuesday. "We need a better understanding of what we're getting into."
Until the Salton Sea Authority approves a finalized plan for the restoration of the sea, Ashley said recruiting developers to turn the western shore of the lake into a city is premature.
Ashley isn't the only one concerned about the plan.
Chris Schoneman, manager of the Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge, says the plan would affect a portion of the refuge now used as feeding habitat for snow geese.
"If the refuge was not there all of a sudden, the snow geese would search for food in other areas," Schoneman said.
If that were to happen, Schoneman says the geese would most likely target nearby private farms.
"There could be huge damages to crops," he said, adding that he has seen feeding birds damage up to 20 acres of crops overnight.
Another hurdle developers might face is getting approval to build homes on the site of the former Salton Sea Test Base. Over the past 50 years, more than 1,000 missile tests were conducted at the 7,200-acre base, which closed in 1993.
Enzweiler said the former test site has been cleared and determined safe to build on.
"They swept the site down to 5 feet and removed all ordnance and hazardous materials," he said.
Wyatt said the proposed development plan would not have attracted the real estate industry leaders it already has if it was so improbable.
He said the Salton Sea's western shore is poised for massive growth and is considered by some in the real estate industry as the "hottest development opportunity in the United States."
"This is not pie-in-the-sky stuff," Wyatt said. "It's already happening right now."
In recent years, Imperial County has issued 35 to 50 building permits a year for projects on the sea's western shore. This year, over 1,000 building permits have been issued for the western shore, Wyatt said.
If the board approves the development plan next week, Enzweiler said he anticipates it will take about three years to obtain all the permits and approvals for construction to begin.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
10-20-2005, 08:17 AM
it sounds like the makings of a new leper colony.

Miss Perfect
10-20-2005, 08:32 AM
I think that they need to clean the water up (and prove that it can be done) before they start building those houses. Nobody in their right mind would buy a house anywhere near there until that happens.

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 08:34 AM
I think that they need to clean the water up (and prove that it can be done) before they start building those houses. Nobody in their right mind would buy a house anywhere near there until that happens.
UM, THATS WHERE I LIVE

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 08:35 AM
just kiddin :D

Miss Perfect
10-20-2005, 08:36 AM
just kiddin :D
Darn it! You were going to be my prime example of a crazy person! :D j/k!

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 08:38 AM
Darn it! You were going to be my prime example of a crazy person! :D j/k!
i still can be, i smell that place all the time when the wind is from the south, so carry on with me being crazy :D

Mrs. casean
10-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Exactly! That could be a big dissapointment if they can't. Lot's of area to build though... could be a great area I think if they can for sure clean up the lake... and then they would have to build grocery stores and all that...

Man-de-lone
10-20-2005, 08:42 AM
256. SALTON CITY AREA (IMPERIAL CO., CA) 1 lot. Cul-de-Sac lot on Nido Court. The sea's calm surface make water sports a number one draw, but the allure of the nearby Salton Sea is the abundance of wildlife to be seen in this important wetland habitat. You have to see it to appreciate it! BIDDING ON THIS LOT IS LIMITED TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS ONLY. (APN: 011-012-04)
Plat Map Street Map Topo Map Aerial Photo
Bid on the down payment plus finance a loan of $15,700 at 12.9% interest for 7 years. Pay 84 monthly installments of $284.76.
BID PLUS FINANCE - STARTING BID $100
Here's a link with a bunch of lame and leftover properties. There might be a couple in there worthwhile. Some are by Lake Elsinore, 40 acres by needles.
Lots of cheap lots still out by the Salton Sea. But redevelopment has to happen sometime. I am heading out over Thanksgiving break to check some out. Interest is picking up. Who knows. It could be a great place if its done right.

WaTchTheGelCoat
10-20-2005, 09:02 AM
That is a very stinky place to be, let alone live. I live about 40 miles from there, and when the wilnd blows out of the east, you can smell it.

redi4fun
10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Mandy,
Have you ever seriously looked into any of the properties listed by Land auction. I have looked at the ones in the desert area, but I don't know much about land development. I imagine it to be worth something some day.

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 09:06 AM
That is a very stinky place to be, let alone live. I live about 40 miles from there, and when the wilnd blows out of the east, you can smell it.
oh yeah, you know it reaks, here in palm desert it's badddddddd

WaTchTheGelCoat
10-20-2005, 09:09 AM
oh yeah, you know it reaks, here in palm desert it's badddddddd
Nothing like waking up to a smelly cheese fart. :yuk:

76ANTHONY
10-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Nothing like waking up to a smelly cheese fart. :yuk:
walk outside and BAM, the scent of the water kills ya :crossx:

Captain Dan
10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
I rode over to South Marina Drive from Ocotillo Well last weekend, some small home developments are popping up. I've been camping and riding out there for years, this is the most activity I have seen out there in the last 8 years or so.
They still have a long way to go. In addition, the portion of the lake they are cleaning up will still have sea water salinity, and the area for recreation is quite small compared to the overall, very much like what was handed to us on Domenigoni Reservoir.

MsDrmr
10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Used to be there every year growing up during Easter v.k. Loved it. If they really want to do this, they are going to need to make the "sea" something people want to live by, last I heard it was no where near close to that.

Not So Fast
10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Where will they get the water to support all of these new projects, They are saying 150,000 homes projected in AZ between Havasu and Bullhead area (Kingman included) and where will these folks work also???? The Colorado River system is beyond capacity use now, seems stupid to me :confused: NSF

Phat Matt
10-20-2005, 09:50 AM
I hope something happens before it is too late. It used to be the best fishing around. I still go there to hunt a lot. My grandparents live out there. They retired out there because it was going to be the next big place. It's also a lot shorter drive than havasu. Fix it! :)

Man-de-lone
10-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Mandy,
Have you ever seriously looked into any of the properties listed by Land auction. I have looked at the ones in the desert area, but I don't know much about land development. I imagine it to be worth something some day.
Most of them are crappy, landlocked or unbuildable. But if you are looking to bank some dirt for the future or maybe a storage lot, you might be able to search out a useful piece.... I've never found a decent one in San Diego, but they do have some in Salton, San Bernardino and Riverside. Landlock seems to be the most common problem, but that is not an insurmountable problem...
http://www.landauction.com/auctions/auction90/ Here's the link for the next sale. I think these guys get these things for pennies...

Sportin' Wood
10-20-2005, 04:42 PM
I am heading out over Thanksgiving break to check some out. Interest is picking up. Who knows. It could be a great place if its done right.
We have been camping and 4 wheeling there almost 20 years. We will be out there Tday if ya wanna hook up for some offroading. (Always of N. Marina Drive)
If you are down for long term high risk go for it. My grand father , my dad and myself have been hearing the stories about how they are gonna fix it up for ever.. There is nothing there, but, the indian gaming might be changing that. They have done alot with the freeway through there also. It is a great place to visit, I'm not sure how great it would be to live.

Froggystyle
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
I have operated lots, and I mean LOTS out of Niland, just east of the Sea. We have done helicopter insertions on SS and then motored to land and started the operation.
That place sucks. Niland has a population of around 1100 or so, and 250 teeth between them. Scrappers, bums and serious hiding from the law lowlifes abound.
The store in Niland does have the dubious honor of stocking more varieties of Hamburger Helper than anywhere I have ever seen.
That whole area is an armpit. You can have it. If I want to go get salty I will go to Coronado...

Man-de-lone
10-20-2005, 06:27 PM
We have been camping and 4 wheeling there almost 20 years. We will be out there Tday if ya wanna hook up for some offroading. (Always of N. Marina Drive)
If you are down for long term high risk go for it. My grand father , my dad and myself have been hearing the stories about how they are gonna fix it up for ever.. There is nothing there, but, the indian gaming might be changing that. They have done alot with the freeway through there also. It is a great place to visit, I'm not sure how great it would be to live.
Tell me more. We are headed out for a 4 wheeling Thanksgiving trip but haven't decided on a destination yet.