PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this speaker cover?

ViB
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/31031Tribal6-med.JPG
I know some other people here do some really incredible work (Xaudio, Ron's), and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, but we just made this up in our shop and I wanted to see what everyone thought of the design?
thanks

riverbound
10-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Looks like the others..one thing youmight want to consider is not having any points on the ends of the flames. they tend to catch peoples clothes, toes etc.....
that is from past experience. :frown:

riverroyal
10-20-2005, 01:52 PM
same to me,just smoke their price and you got it made

ViB
10-20-2005, 02:03 PM
hypothetically let's just say $99 for a pair of 6.5".....
smoked enough or more?

riverbound
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
hypothetically let's just say $99 for a pair of 6.5".....
smoked enough or more?
thats not bad...but I would honestly get rid of the sharp edges....run the tip of the flames all theway to the edge. :wink:

ViB
10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
thanks, I think they're a little sharp also, but the poeple who have actually touched them think they're fine...I don't think they have little kids though.
The tips are 'softened' as are the edges, its difficult to have a sharp design without any points.

riverroyal
10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
with my paint scheme I dont think,Im kinda burned out on tribal flames and stuff,99$ a pair seems good.For me i would need 3 pair,so 350ish is just too much.

ViB
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Forget the Tribals or Flames, let's say there was a design you liked...What would you consider a reasonable price then?

ROZ
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I would open the middle up a bit more so you don't block the frequencies the tweeters put out, and I'd use a flange at the top of of the ring that slips between the speaker and panel and the set screw at the bottom.

riverroyal
10-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Forget the Tribals or Flames, let's say there was a design you liked...What would you consider a reasonable price then?
makes me sound like a tight ass,but for someone like me,whos boat doesnt need them for protection thats about all I would pay.But a real basic design is all I would want,so maybe production cost would be less

ViB
10-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks you guys, this is valuable stuff. btw, production costs are pretty much solely based on qty's.
We're having a 'large' speaker company test the sound distortion on all the sizes and designs currently.
Again, any other feedback would be highly appreciated!

riverroyal
10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I think you guys should go to the boat builders,have them offer them with their stereo system upgrades.I would have paid much more if they were offered then.Spending large $$$$$$ on a new boat was easy,putting money in it now is tough to swallow unless its repairs or service,,,just a thought

ViB
10-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Actually you will see it on two different manufacturers boats by spring, in their own logo's of course.

Krumbsnatcher
10-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Looks,
Like you took our tribal and copied two important design Similiarities. Our tribal is trademarked hence the logo.
PS. Welcome to the club

ViB
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
look a little more closely, its different, but thank you for the accusation.

cxr133
10-22-2005, 01:52 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar6440_1.gif http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/31031Tribal6-med.JPG
pretty close

purrfecttremor
10-22-2005, 03:45 PM
I agree they look like my extremes.I like them though.

ViB
10-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Wow, you're bumming our designer out, lol, I guess like Riverroyal said, "they all look the same'. It's tough to get radically different flames, tribals, maltese cross, flags, etc.
We have a couple that I've never seen anywhere before though that will be coming out by Xmas..

Magic34
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Just knowing the biz a little :wink: , I personally think that your designer should practice the program a little before a full production run. Drop the sharp edges points as much as possible.
In learning the program, I had a similiar experience, just practiced and practiced time and time again and got better before initial production runs.
I am still the only one with screens.
I personally think $99/pair is too high, and have fun dealing with the mfgs. You can have em. :hammerhea
I went from designing something like you first posted my first time designing to doing this almost like "freehand" in a program (not imported).
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_1403-med.JPG
Good luck and you are close on the pricing.

HOLLYWOOD
10-23-2005, 07:20 AM
That is about as close to Xtreme Audio Covers that you can try and get. No comparison, Xtreme smokes yours. (sorry ViB)

riverroyal
10-23-2005, 10:02 AM
are you into everything!!!!Cleaning stuff,audio stuff,and you still have free time?Did I mention my wife want to move to scotsdale area next summer,do you BBQ also,I will need a place to drink beer :D

Krumbsnatcher
10-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Just knowing the biz a little :wink: , I personally think that your designer should practice the program a little before a full production run. Drop the sharp edges points as much as possible.
In learning the program, I had a similiar experience, just practiced and practiced time and time again and got better before initial production runs.
I am still the only one with screens.
I personally think $99/pair is too high, and have fun dealing with the mfgs. You can have em. :hammerhea
I went from designing something like you first posted my first time designing to doing this almost like "freehand" in a program (not imported).
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_1403-med.JPG
Good luck and you are close on the pricing.
I second that one.. Screens we have em just no one really wants em, except for Outerlimits Powerboats.
http://www.xaudiocovers.com/catalog/images/billet6x9/truckers_polish_69.gif

riverbound
10-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I like the screens. But my stuff is alwys getting kicked by some drunk. Of cours Im usually the drunk :D

Krumbsnatcher
10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I like the screens. But my stuff is alwys getting kicked by some drunk. Of cours Im usually the drunk :D
LMAO Holly is the one in our boat.....
:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

ROZ
10-25-2005, 10:21 PM
That is about as close to Xtreme Audio Covers that you can try and get. No comparison, Xtreme smokes yours. (sorry ViB)
If your product is so good, it will speak for itself. You're not sorry, you're an a$s.. Give the guy a f'n break. He's asking the same type of input you everyone has asked over the last 2 years...
I agree with whoever said they all look the same... They do...

riverbound
10-26-2005, 06:53 AM
LMAO Holly is the one in our boat.....
:hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:
ahhh...thats why you got rid of the sharp pointy edges :)

riverbound
10-26-2005, 06:53 AM
If your product is so good, it will speak for itself. You're not sorry, you're an a$s.. Give the guy a f'n break. He's asking the same type of input you everyone has asked over the last 2 years...
Yep.. :wink:

Magic34
10-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I was the first one with the chicks design.
This speaker cover business is soooo much fun.

ROZ
10-26-2005, 09:48 AM
You also went through pains with a couple different mounting systems, figuring out which grill material to use, and overall design as to not effect sound output and did quite a nice job :)
The only thing I've ever seen you write is that the business is tough. I've never seen you bash anyone's product. :)
Let me know if ww slips up ;) :D

ROZ
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi, I'm Roz and I graduated from the ShockwaveBob school of tact. :D
Thanks, Cliffie :D

riverbound
10-26-2005, 09:52 AM
This speaker cover business is soooo much fun.
My guess is its probably alot like the Gel coat business ;)

Magic34
10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
You also went through pains with a couple different mounting systems, figuring out which grill material to use, and overall design as to not effect sound output and did quite a nice job :)
The only thing I've ever seen you write is that the business is tough. I've never seen you bash anyone's product. :)
Let me know if ww slips up ;) :D
Thanks Roz. Figuring out a good way to operate this biz in the beginning was difficult. Xtreme has it down to a good system, and we figured it out after spending some good $$ on a production run or 2.
I wanted the prices to be really cheap for people, but in the end it is hard to do that.
Good to know I have a solid backup plan for ww if he slips up. :D
The money isn't in speaker covers, it is in towers. :wink:

Magic34
10-26-2005, 09:58 AM
My guess is its probably alot like the Gel coat business ;)
Yes, just finishing up the trademark on all the designs and official notices will be going out next week. :wink:

ROZ
10-26-2005, 10:03 AM
The money isn't in speaker covers, it is in towers. :wink:
That's what they say... :wink: Now if I could just figure out who "they" is... "They" have something to say about everything :D

Froggystyle
11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Yes, just finishing up the trademark on all the designs and official notices will be going out next week. :wink:
A man of my own heart...