PDA

View Full Version : More Ipod questions...

BOBALOO
10-21-2005, 04:38 PM
My wife bought the 4G Nano and I have been searching for low cost ways to hook it up to 3 or 4 stereo systems.
Trojan Dan posted that they have theirs hooked up to the cd changer rca's (Sony) but I am not sure if they can still use the changer. Can I just put a y or t adapter to stereo headphone jack inline and have it work and keep the changer functions or will I have to switch the wires between them.
Her car still has the stock headunit in it ( 04 Lexus IS300 ) What would the best way be to hook up to this one ? I will probably change it someday but for now I need a solution.
I figure the home stereo will be the easiest since it has rca inputs for everything and I could use the headphone jack to rca adapter.
The Clarion in the truck has no changer but it has changer controls. I know I could hook it up to the x-over but would like to keep the EQ functions of the head unit.
EVERYONE says the RF (not Rockford Fosgate :hammer2: )transmitters SUCK so I dont think I want to go this route.
Do the cassette adapters work? I think I have one from a walkman somewhere around here.
Sorry for ALL the questions but this junk is new to me.
Thanks...

Phat Matt
10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I think the splitter for the cd changer would work but you would have to take the cartridge out of the changer to play. Once you select source on the HU for the changer they will start to play. The tape adapters will sound better than the FM transmitter. RCA ins are the best.

TrojanDan
10-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Bobby,
My CD changer cannot be used when I connect the Ipod to it. I know it's inconvenient but I take the extra 10 seconds to unplug it and plug the changer back. :D . And no, I don't remember having to eject the changer cartridge. Once the RCA's are unplugged, the CD changer doesn't matter if it has a cartridge or not.
As far as the car audio adapters, stay away from those FM modulators. They suck donkey balls. I don't know if the Lexus has their own line of stereos since I drive a crummy old Nissan Altima and I'm not a big balling Lexus driver like you, but I have heard of some car stereo having hardwire connections to their Ipod-stereo.
:cool:

Party Cat
10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Bobby,
My CD changer cannot be used when I connect the Ipod to it. I know it's inconvenient but I take the extra 10 seconds to unplug it and plug the changer back. :D . And no, I don't remember having to eject the changer cartridge. Once the RCA's are unplugged, the CD changer doesn't matter if it has a cartridge or not.
On a Sony, you will need to disconnect the rca's from the changer and plug in the ipod ones...you will have to leave the other cable plugged in and probably the cartridge. The head unit needs to think it's playing the cd's. It will be getting the audio feed from you're ipod...

h2oski2fast
10-22-2005, 03:11 PM
As said before, the changer has to have the catridge in. The changer is actually playing the cd, but you are plugging the Ipod into where the changer RCAs would be connected, so the changer RCAs would be disconnected. If there is no catridge in the changer, then the HU defaults to off, therefore not letting any audio in. The best/ most convenient way is to use an electronic source selector. This way you can run RCAs to an easy place to connect and disconnect the Ipod. The changer can always stay plugged in, but you would have a remote switch to select the different sources. The source selector could be installed near the changer or near the head unit. Hope this helps.

Phat Matt
10-22-2005, 11:13 PM
I guess I was wrong but having to plug in and unplug the RCA's from the changer to the Ipod would suck. What if you did the splitter idea and have them both connected. Record a cd with silence on it and play that in the changer, then turn your Ipod on. I bet that would work. :D