PDA

View Full Version : Home Audio question...

Outnumbered
10-21-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm running a Dennon 5.1 receiver about 500W over 5 channels or 4 channels when in Stereo mode. I think its more watts on the front channels.
Anyway, I have patio speakers I run off the B switch on the receiver now. I want to add 2 or 4 Speakercraft 820 ROX out by the pool and spa. I was looking at the Phoenix Gold speaker switch boxes and this is where the confusion starts.
I want to run all 6 patio speakers at the same time AND the main in house pair(they are all 8 ohms). Should I get the dual source Phx Gold so I can use all 4 Dennon channels or just get the single souce? OR???
The Phx Gold switch says it has buit in amp protection which I would assume compensates for the extra load of running all those speakers.
I don't want to overload my receiver so I want to be sure and do it right.
Thanks in advance.

ROZ
10-22-2005, 02:08 AM
You are correct in thinking that the protection mode is imprdence matching. Most good speaker switchers do it this way...
What do you mean by dual source speaker boxe? Will it take 2 seperate amp inputs?

Outnumbered
10-22-2005, 06:58 AM
You are correct in thinking that the protection mode is imprdence matching. Most good speaker switchers do it this way...
What do you mean by dual source speaker boxe? Will it take 2 seperate amp inputs?
Yes, it has two pairs of speaker level inputs. You can have two different sources (listen to two different things in different zones). Or in my case, I would use the second input for more watts and less load on the amp.
So ROZ, is there any problems with these boxes with regard to sound quality or volume levels? Seems like the impedance matching must have a price to pay.

ROZ
10-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Yes, it has two pairs of speaker level inputs. You can have two different sources (listen to two different things in different zones). Or in my case, I would use the second input for more watts and less load on the amp.
So ROZ, is there any problems with these boxes with regard to sound quality or volume levels? Seems like the impedance matching must have a price to pay.
Price to pay is total output when you have all speakers running, and maybe distortion at high levels at high volume...
Definitely economical when compared to adding a controlable multizone/source system...

Outnumbered
10-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Price to pay is total output when you have all speakers running, and maybe distortion at high levels at high volume...
Definitely economical when compared to adding a controlable multizone/source system...
Thanks ROZ. I think that the volume should not be an issue, as I will have the area pretty well flooded with sound from close range.