PDA

View Full Version : You ever cook a steak...

al cole'holic
10-22-2005, 06:59 PM
...that has turned a little brown? It don't smell at all but just ain't red like it was on Tuesday when I bought it...I'm a few deep and got the munchies but a little hesitant :confused:

wsuwrhr
10-22-2005, 07:00 PM
When in doubt, throw it out. Steak is cheaper than a stomach ache.
Brian

al cole'holic
10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Brian
:D :D

Jbb
10-22-2005, 07:03 PM
...that has turned a little brown? It don't smell at all but just ain't red like it was on Tuesday when I bought it...I'm a few deep and got the munchies but a little hesitant :confused:
Yep ....cook it.....it will be fine...

blown428fe
10-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Ive seen them in the store with a little brown on them, turns me right off. Id fling it.

Kachina26
10-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Brian
I adopted that policy many years ago after 2 days of yaking from a suspect pudding cup
:yuk:
The steak is just aged though :D

wsuwrhr
10-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I adopted that policy many years ago after 2 days of yaking from a suspect pudding cup
:yuk:
The steak is just aged though :D
The hardest lessions I've ever learned have served me the best.
Brian
Pudding cups live forever don't they?

Jbb
10-22-2005, 07:09 PM
I had a friend years ago who was a butcher...They used to use a product called dynomite
[that is now outlawed]
...for obvious reasons....they would sprinkle it on steaks turning brown....and in a minute ..they looked like they were just sliced from a side of beef....
When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it.

superdave013
10-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I did just that the other day. my wife would have freaked if she saw it before I cooked it. needless to say she liked her dinner! :)
Oh, and I seemed to have lived too.

NorCal Gameshow
10-22-2005, 08:02 PM
just call it aged beef and grill it up .... ;)

al cole'holic
10-22-2005, 08:05 PM
...grilled em up, figured I'll just take a shot or two to kill off any bacteria's :mix:

slowinhavasu
10-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Just eat it...

al cole'holic
10-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Half you guys wouldn't last five seconds in the field.
I used to ride my Redline throught the onion fields :)

Kilrtoy
10-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I have lasted a few seconds longer in the BUSH.....

wsuwrhr
10-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I'm talking about with a pack on your back and a weapon in your hands, eating shit that would make a billy goat puke. :D
Not saying I wouldn't do it if I had to. There is a difference.
Brian

welk2party
10-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Grub it... :)

cdog
10-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Many chefs age their beef before grillin them up. There's nothing wrong with a little brown on it. 3-5 days is a good amount of time. Some prefer it and say's it brings back some game taste. The bacteria that turns it brown also breaks down the muscle fibers in the meat which can make it more tender.

Beer-30
10-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Yup, it's just aged. Don't sweat it. Most BBQ'rs love to find that type of steak. supposedly turns out tastier. Just make sure it gets plenty warm.

cdog
10-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Or some Tusin!

HCS
10-22-2005, 09:31 PM
No. Never happens. :hammer2:
Tell ya what though. CHUCK IT.
I had chicken on a couple occations that seemed fine, till I cooked it.
Looked good on the Q. Cooked it for 45min. Pulled it off, cut it up.
And it taste like rubber. Bamn! In the trash. Ordered a pizza. :umm:

cdog
10-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Any of you guy's ever had Bison or buffalo? Them some good eats! My wife took me to a place called the Westward look in Tucson for my birthday a couple of years ago. 5 years ago and i'm still talkin about that meal. If you ever get a chance try it.

HCS
10-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Chicken and beef are completely different. Chicken doesn't age well at all. I've left chicken in the fridge overnight after defrosting and cooked it the next day and had it turn out like crap. I still ate it, but I bitched about it the entire time. :D
I here ya. When I cook steaks. I cook them the same day I buy them.
If you let them sit it the fridge for a day or two all the blood drains out. Like RiverDave did. Then the steaks are no good.
BBQ'rs remember that with all meat. Once it bleeds you lost the flavor.
Once you freeze a steak it won't be the same either. There's better luck with frozen chicken or turkey. Let it thaw in the fridge and it will come out fine.
But don't leave it till it bleeds. lay it before that. :D

Kilrtoy
10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Any of you guy's ever had Bison or buffalo? Them some good eats! My wife took me to a place called the Westward look in Tucson for my birthday a couple of years ago. 5 years ago and i'm still talkin about that meal. If you ever get a chance try it.
OH YEAH...
There is a burger stand in the heart of Pasadena across the street from Victoria secrets. DAMN GOOD

HCS
10-22-2005, 10:22 PM
It depends on how you "age" the beef. Google aging beef for specific instructions. The best steakhouses cook up beef that has been aging in their cooler for 3-5 days.
Sometimes it comes out too salty that way.
Up here we have a steak house. 'Claim Jumpers'. Don't know if your familar.
They say they age their steaks for 20 or 30 days or something like that.
I don't get it. I think they do it because it cooks quicker and obiously keeps longer.
Big cuts like Tri-Tips. Sure, I'll throw them in a zip lock bag for a day or too.
Yummy!!!

Old Texan
10-23-2005, 07:57 AM
My Dad was a butcher and I've been around the trade all my life. Aging refers to beef still in qtrs. or halves. For the top restaurants Dad aged his beef 28 days in a 34-35 deg. walkin cooler. He'd break the beef down into smaller sections, wash off ny mold and trim back the outer layers. Some chefs cut their own steaks from these smaller sections, and others had him cut theirs at 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches.
Aging the smaller portions in my opinion is too late to accomplish the real goal of juicy tender steaks. Our beef went straight from the slaughter house to the cooler. All corn fed Angus and Hereford.
When cut to serving portion try to use same day or marinate overnight if that's your preference.
Once the meat dehydrates and loses moisture content you are left with stew or chili meat.
Smell rather than visual appearance is key to determing spoiled meat. When in doubt, call the hounds to the porch.
I did a report back in Jr-High with pictures and descriptions on meat packing houses. Quite a few girls and some guys took serious looks at vegetarian diets afterwards. It was pretty funny. People really don't think about how meat processing is done.

a catered life
10-23-2005, 09:51 AM
My Dad was a butcher and I've been around the trade all my life. Aging refers to beef still in qtrs. or halves. For the top restaurants Dad aged his beef 28 days in a 34-35 deg. walkin cooler. He'd break the beef down into smaller sections, wash off ny mold and trim back the outer layers. Some chefs cut their own steaks from these smaller sections, and others had him cut theirs at 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches.
Aging the smaller portions in my opinion is too late to accomplish the real goal of juicy tender steaks. Our beef went straight from the slaughter house to the cooler. All corn fed Angus and Hereford.
When cut to serving portion try to use same day or marinate overnight if that's your preference.
Once the meat dehydrates and loses moisture content you are left with stew or chili meat.
Smell rather than visual appearance is key to determing spoiled meat. When in doubt, call the hounds to the porch.
I did a report back in Jr-High with pictures and descriptions on meat packing houses. Quite a few girls and some guys took serious looks at vegetarian diets afterwards. It was pretty funny. People really don't think about how meat processing is done.
well said most people think you should age smaller portions and since i seem to be he only real chef on the boards i will give my 2 cents the safe thing in the foodservice industry is when in doubt throw it out but that may cost you at home so a good way to also have great steaks is to buy fresh and dont keep at home for more than 48 hours they start lose their flavor. never freeze and steaks for grilling...as for the browning if you eat it it will be dry tasting to help with the dry taste over season it and place it in a liquid marinade for a few hours so it can soak up some taste but make sure it doesn't smell and cook it med to well (something i would never recommend) a good steak taste 200% better if it served rare to medium most people over cook a good cut and turn it into a burger patty remember a good amount of pink always taste a lot better :eek:

azgfboatgirl
10-23-2005, 09:58 AM
al cole'holic, So how was the steak? :D
Are you having your stomach pumped today :idea:

al cole'holic
10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
al cole'holic, So how was the steak? :D
Are you having your stomach pumped today :idea:
The steak wasn't the problem this morning, it was the beer :D

tcook33
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
HAHA. I might be the only one here that gets that.
I once got some trim in a field back in HS and, you are right...I didn't last too long.

al cole'holic
10-23-2005, 02:08 PM
HAHA. I might be the only one here that gets that.
I once got some trim in a field back in HS and, you are right...I didn't last too long.
..word...we going off the hinges tonight?? :rollside:

Mrs.Racer277
10-23-2005, 02:16 PM
I am glad to see you lived. :cool:

One Eyed Jack
10-23-2005, 02:35 PM
al
my steak always turns brown
when i cook it
what else is it supposed to do

Froggystyle
10-23-2005, 04:05 PM
All I know is, I stay in the field for long enough and I am eating anything that isn't actually still moving or is painted.

Boy Named Sue
10-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm with you on that. Have you ever made MRE pizza? :D
My
Regurgitated
Entree
Generally served on asphalt and taken through a straw.

HCS
10-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Meal Ready to Eat. :D
MRE Pizza.
Take crackers from pouch
Spread liberally with tomato ketchup paste
Squirt cheese from the bag on top
Crumble reconstituted beef patty on top
Let sit in sun all day for cooking
Scrap bugs off
Enjoy
You just get back from Mexico? :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-23-2005, 09:57 PM
I had a friend years ago who was a butcher...They used to use a product called dynomite
[that is now outlawed]
...for obvious reasons....they would sprinkle it on steaks turning brown....and in a minute ..they looked like they were just sliced from a side of beef....
When freshly slaughtered meat is cut into steaks, the muscle tissue comes into contact with oxygen in the air. The myoglobin in the meat binds this oxygen, forming oxymyoglobin and giving the meat a red color. However, if fresh meat sits for a period of time, generally over the course of several days, the structure of the myoglobin changes. The iron molecule in the middle is oxidized from its ferrous to ferric form and a different complex is formed called metmyoglobin. This compound turns the raw meat a brown color. The meat is usually still safe to eat when cooked, but the brown, unappealing color turns off most consumers. To avoid having your fresh meat turn brown, use it as soon as possible after purchasing it.
Damn bro, you went scientific on us;);) Nice break down though

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-23-2005, 09:58 PM
thats so funny;) :D Did you have the 20 inch or the cruiser style?? :D