PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser 4.3 v6 Vortec, WANTED

Restless22
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Do any of you guys know where I can find a complete used 4.3. I want to put it in my jeep.
Possibly from a wrecked boat? Insurance deal. Any info will be great. I already checked ebay and no luck.
Thanks in advance

Restless22
10-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Bump

Oldsquirt
10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Any particular reason you want the Mercruiser version of GM's 4.3? Should be truck loads of GM 4.3's in the wrecking yards. If memory serves me they were first used in the early 90's in the S-10 Blazer and pickup.

Beer-30
10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Any particular reason you want the Mercruiser version of GM's 4.3? Should be truck loads of GM 4.3's in the wrecking yards. If memory serves me they were first used in the early 90's in the S-10 Blazer and pickup.
Yeah, don't spend the time "un-marine-ing" a boat motor. Just find a nice '95 or so (this started the Vortec) S-10 / S-15. Blazer, extended cab p/u's, Jimmys. I had the 195HP CPI model and it ran like a scalded dog. Nice motor.

XtrmWakeborder
10-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Check the junkyards. There were quite a few that looked like they were in good shape, when i was at the yard looking for parts for my dads truck. Great engine, i've got 150k on mine and it runs awsome.

Restless22
10-25-2005, 10:24 PM
I wanted the mercruiser for the simplicity. All the fuel injection wiring, and computer are on the motor. Power, ground, and Fuel will git r done.
I am having a hard time finding one as a take out. So the S10 option is plan B.
Thought It would be cool opening the hood with the mercruiser cover. Owell. Plan B will work just fine. :hammerhea

Outnumbered
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Here ya go:
http://www.affordablemarine.com/used_mercruiser_marine_engines.html

Outnumbered
10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
A couple on e-bay too:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/4-3_Boats-Watercraft-Parts_W0QQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypage ZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfclZ3QQfromZR2QQfsooZ2QQfsop Z3QQsacatZ26443QQsatitleZ4Q2e3

Beer-30
10-26-2005, 05:15 AM
I wanted the mercruiser for the simplicity. All the fuel injection wiring, and computer are on the motor. Power, ground, and Fuel will git r done.
I am having a hard time finding one as a take out. So the S10 option is plan B.
Thought It would be cool opening the hood with the mercruiser cover. Owell. Plan B will work just fine. :hammerhea
Ah. I see your method, but there is a madness.
No O2 sensor. To have it run good on the street, you will be needing to plumb one of those into the computer. Mercs aren't set up for that. Boats are under a load all of the time, so the mapping would be all different in driving situations. If you had access to re-mapping the ECM on the fly, real time, you could build your own fuel / timing map for your driving, but it would take a long time.

Restless22
10-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Thats for the links guys. I will check um out and keep you posted on my project. Should be pretty cool. I am making a new frame and stretching the body 12". Should be done pretty soon, now that there is frikkn rain in the forcast! :argue:

Restless22
10-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Ah. I see your method, but there is a madness.
No O2 sensor. To have it run good on the street, you will be needing to plumb one of those into the computer. Mercs aren't set up for that. Boats are under a load all of the time, so the mapping would be all different in driving situations. If you had access to re-mapping the ECM on the fly, real time, you could build your own fuel / timing map for your driving, but it would take a long
time.
Yah, I was pretty sure this would be a good route.....
:D