PDA

View Full Version : AZ Registration WTF???

9er
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
So I just got my registration in the mail. I've been doing AZ non-resident for ten+ years because it was a hell of alot cheaper than Ca.
All of a sudden it has gone from $83.20 to $222.00!!!! What the hell. Isn't there an AZGF girl on here that can tell me what's up?

1stepcloser
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Something about hte reisent status, and the length of time living in the state.
No more cheap date, in other words.

Outnumbered
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I heard they just raised the rates. Do a search, its been discussed recently. Its still better than paying personal property Cali taxes on top of the reg.

slink
There was a thread awhile back that addressed this, I think it went into effect as of September. I know, it sucks

Jordy
They all went up, resident and non-resident alike. My 19' jet doubled, so it's like $30 now. :D
Here, read this:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79796

Ziggy
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
AZGFgirl can't fix that.......guess you didn't get the notice. Us non-res peeps get hosed....still beats the property tax in Ca.

Outnumbered
10-25-2005, 03:59 PM
They all went up, resident and non-resident alike. My 19' jet doubled, so it's like $30 now. :D
Here, read this:
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79796
Just one more reason to vote out our Dike-Lib-Gov. How in the hell did you guys ever let this biatch into office :D I can't wait to have my turn to vote here.

9er
10-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Fine, I'll just build a house out there. That'll fix em'!!

Jordy
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Just one more reason to vote out our Dike-Lib-Gov. How in the hell did you guys ever let this biatch into office :D I can't wait to have my turn to vote here.
Well, AZ's governor history is rather interesting... We had Ev Mecham who was a racist old bastard who was recalled, then Rose Mofford who was over 100 years old, then Fife who was a crook and I believe recalled/kicked out, and Janet who plays a woman governor on TV. Yeah, it's good stuff. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other colorful characters... :idea: :jawdrop: :D

2Driver
10-25-2005, 04:07 PM
and Janet who plays a woman governor on TV. Yeah, it's good stuff. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other colorful characters... :idea: :jawdrop: :D
Seriouly, she is a woman? :eek:

Jordy
10-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Seriouly, she is a woman? :eek:
I don't know. That's why I said she plays one on tv. :D :D :D

HM
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
I should hop on the AZ thing, because I am sick and tired of paying $17/year for my Campbell in CA. Damn trailer cost $35/year. :cool:

AZKC
10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Well, AZ's governor history is rather interesting... We had Ev Mecham who was a racist old bastard who was recalled, then Rose Mofford who was over 100 years old, then Fife who was a crook and I believe recalled/kicked out, and Janet who plays a woman governor on TV. Yeah, it's good stuff. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other colorful characters... :idea: :jawdrop: :D
Remember one eyed Jack :crossx: Modern Medicine at its finest :eek:
Jack Williams
Radio announcer & writer.
First Arizona governor to serve a 4 year term, notwithstanding an unsuccessful recall attempt.
Called "One Eyed Jack" by detractors because his right eye had been removed to get to a cancerous tumor when he was 5. In an experimental treatment to stop the spreading cancer, doctors placed a radium pellet on loan from Madame Curie in the socket overnight. Glasses with one frosted lens became his trademark.

Ziggy
10-25-2005, 04:52 PM
That don't work for us either..you need to be a bonifide resident of the state.....

purrfecttremor
10-25-2005, 05:01 PM
There was a thread this summer that warned Us that rates were going to triple so we paid Ours 3 months early.Thanks to whoever tipped Us off!!!!

Boatcop
10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm not a big Janet fan, but the Legislature passed this in overwhelming fashion. Enough to overcome any Governor's veto. All she did was sign it into law.
And we'll thank you for your property taxes. But you'll still have to pay non-resident watercraft registration. Unless you legally change residence to Arizona, owning property here doesn't matter. You must pay in-state income taxes, register your vehicles, work, vote, driver's license, etc. in order to be considered a "resident".
If you think the Boat registration is bad for non-residents, wait until you try and get a Hunting or Fishing license.
Fishing:
Resident - $18.00
Non resident - $51.50
General Hunting: (For all you dove and quail folks)
Resident - $25.50
Non resident - $113.50
Deer:
Resident - $19.50
Non resident - $125.50
Elk:
Resident - $78.00
Non resident - $400.00
Buffalo:
Resident - $750.00
Non resident - $3,750.00
Realize that the AZGFD does not get any funding from taxes or general Government appropriations. It is 100% funded through Licenses and registrations. Many Counties also have their Lake enforcement and Boating Safety Programs funded through a portion of the Watercraft Registrations. My County gets 100% of our salary funding for Boating Safety through registration fees. We also purchase our boats through a grant process that is funded through registration fees and marine fuel taxes and vehicle Fuel taxes attributed to Marine use.
Those fees also go to enhance boating on AZ lakes, such as launch ramps, campgrounds, State Parks (with water facilities), pump-out stations, docks, etc.
Boating resources in AZ are 100% funded by the people who use them through those fees, not costing taxpayers (Property and Sales) 1 penny.

Newcastle
10-25-2005, 05:41 PM
What are the stiplations for considering yourself a 'resident'? Is it a certain # of nights a year you have to stay at your place in AZ? Can you not be a resident of Ca and Az? Thanks
I'd like to register my toys out there but all I have is a vacation place out there.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-25-2005, 06:15 PM
So I just got my registration in the mail. I've been doing AZ non-resident for ten+ years because it was a hell of alot cheaper than Ca.
All of a sudden it has gone from $83.20 to $222.00!!!! What the hell. Isn't there an AZGF girl on here that can tell me what's up?
The rates went up this year. I'd say you have not been paying attention but you only registered in June so you get a free pass. :p But this is something that ahs been talked about quite a bit on here.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-25-2005, 06:18 PM
What are the stiplations for considering yourself a 'resident'? Is it a certain # of nights a year you have to stay at your place in AZ? Can you not be a resident of Ca and Az? Thanks
I'd like to register my toys out there but all I have is a vacation place out there.
According to Cost Guard regs you are required to register your vessel in the state in which you use it 51% or more of the time. Also, to get around the CA law, the vessel needs to be permanently moored outside of the state. So, if you've got a place in AZ AND you leve your boat there, you are good to go.

Newcastle
10-25-2005, 06:19 PM
According to Cost Guard regs you are required to register your vessel in the state in which you use it 51% or more of the time. Also, to get around the CA law, the vessel needs to be permanently moored outside of the state. So, if you've got a place in AZ AND you leve your boat there, you are good to go.
Sweet thanks...works for me!!

Jordy
10-25-2005, 06:19 PM
What are the stiplations for considering yourself a 'resident'? Is it a certain # of nights a year you have to stay at your place in AZ? Can you not be a resident of Ca and Az?
Here you go. AZ residents:
Unless you legally change residence to Arizona, owning property here doesn't matter. You must pay in-state income taxes, register your vehicles, work, vote, driver's license, etc. in order to be considered a "resident".
You can still register your boat out here, just have to pay the out of state fee. ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Sweet thanks...works for me!!
I forgot to add, I was talking about non-resident fees. Sorry for the confusion. I mis-read your original post to ask how you could register as a non-resident.

soupersonic
10-25-2005, 06:35 PM
I like the US Coast Guard registration alot better,no state registration needed,you all need to get bigger boats i guess :rollside:

Boatcop
10-25-2005, 06:51 PM
According to Cost Guard regs you are required to register your vessel in the state in which you use it 51% or more of the time. Also, to get around the CA law, the vessel needs to be permanently moored outside of the state. So, if you've got a place in AZ AND you leave your boat there, you are good to go.
No requirement for California residents to register their boats in California, as there is for motor vehicles. As long as you use it 51% of the time in the other state's waters, which includes the Colorado River, you can register it there.
As far as the luxury taxes in California go, each County has their own interpretation. Some let out of state registered boats slide, others have gone after boats registered in other states but operate on the River, since it is also California waters, no matter where it's stored at. All of them will nail out of state boats owned by CA residents, and stored in CA. Many search boat trailer registrations and cross them with the tax records. CA boat trailer registration and no tax declaration? Stand by for an expensive letter.

hotsand65
10-25-2005, 06:53 PM
The one good thing about registering in CA is you are able to write off the "propety tax".

Havasu_Dreamin
10-25-2005, 06:54 PM
CA boat trailer registration and no tax declaration? Stand by for an expensive letter.
Fortunately the trailer registration only says it is a trailer, not what type. Of course, I suppose baed on the VIN they night know what type of trailer it is.

Boatcop
10-25-2005, 06:58 PM
Fortunately the trailer registration only says it is a trailer, not what type. Of course, I suppose baed on the VIN they night know what type of trailer it is.
True. But the way they're hard up for cash flow, I expect that they'll start hiring investigators familiar with the makes of boat trailers to weed through the records.
Hmmm. Sounds like a good retirement job. Whaddaya think Keith? :D

rrrr
10-26-2005, 06:37 AM
What about when the Babbitts ruled AZ? Long time ago....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-26-2005, 06:41 AM
Do like everyone else told me "pay the fees and move on with it"......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

riverbound
10-26-2005, 06:45 AM
I should hop on the AZ thing, because I am sick and tired of paying $17/year for my Campbell in CA. Damn trailer cost $35/year. :cool:
I hear ya.....I just got the renewal for my Spectra and it was $10...WTF is wrong with this state (ca) :D I think we need to steal police officers pensions to cover the cost of reg.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-26-2005, 06:46 AM
I hear ya.....I just got the renewal for my Spectra and it was $10...WTF is wrong with this state (ca) :D I think we need to steal police officers pensions to cover the cost of reg.
Its illegal to steal..... :sleeping: :sleeping:

HM
10-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Its illegal to steal..... :sleeping: :sleeping:
Has anyone told the government this yet? :D
I was reading/researching the origination of tax deductions and why they were created. What is odd, is at one time the government thought that the public sector would actually be more effiecient than the government in many areas, and created "tax deductions" to give incentive for us to take care of things, instead of forcing the government. Allow a write off on your home of taxes and interest allowing significantly more people to buy their own home or provide government subsidized housing? IRA's, Pensions, 401K deductions allowing you to create a retirement or continue to overload social security? Charity donations deductions allowing you to send money directly to organizations that help the lest fortunate or force the government to bear the entire load of helping the less fortunate. With this in mind, I have a whole different view on taxes....I believe it is my civic duty to redirect as much tax revenue (through tax deductions and paying as little tax as possible) as I can because I am much more efficient at puting those dollars to work for society than the government is. People say you should just pay your taxes when actually the best thing you could do is follow the government's directions to pay as little taxes as possible, or deal with the completely inefficient and ineffective ability for the government to do it for you. There is only one problem with that....the government has proven their ability to be so ineffective and inefficient with the financial resposibilities, that they think they need more of the redirected money to fix their problems....yah...that makes sense. We are so bad with your money, that we need more of your money. So now, more than ever, it is the responsiblity of the citizens to minimize their ability to throw good money after bad (pay as little in taxes as possible) to fix governments' spending problems and they will be forced to fix the real problems. The government does not, and never has ever had a revenue problem.
Where the fock did that soap box come from? :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Has anyone told the government this yet? :D
I was reading/researching the origination of tax deductions and why they were created. What is odd, is at one time the government thought that the public sector would actually be more effiecient than the government in many areas, and created "tax deductions" to give incentive for us to take care of things, instead of forcing the government. Allow a write off on your home of taxes and interest allowing significantly more people to buy their own home or provide government subsidized housing? IRA's, Pensions, 401K deductions allowing you to create a retirement or continue to overload social security? Charity donations deductions allowing you to send money directly to organizations that help the lest fortunate or force the government to bear the entire load of helping the less fortunate. With this in mind, I have a whole different view on taxes....I believe it is my civic duty to redirect as much tax revenue (through tax deductions and paying as little tax as possible) as I can because I am much more efficient at puting those dollars to work for society than the government is. People say you should just pay your taxes when actually the best thing you could do is follow the government's directions to pay as little taxes as possible, or deal with the completely inefficient and ineffective ability for the government to do it for you. There is only one problem with that....the government has proven their ability to be so ineffective and inefficient with the financial resposibilities, that they think they need more of the redirected money to fix their problems....yah...that makes sense. We are so bad with your money, that we need more of your money. So now, more than ever, it is the responsiblity of the citizens to minimize their ability to throw good money after bad (pay as little in taxes as possible) to fix governments' spending problems and they will be forced to fix the real problems. The government does not, and never has ever had a revenue problem.
Where the fock did that soap box come from? :D
Wow! Thats made me look at a few things alot differently;)nice post;)

Tequila-John
10-26-2005, 05:17 PM
I like it keeps the cheaters in check DING!

Rexone
10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
There is only one problem with that....the government has proven their ability to be so ineffective and inefficient with the financial resposibilities, that they think they need more of the redirected money to fix their problems....yah...that makes sense. We are so bad with your money, that we need more of your money. So now, more than ever, it is the responsiblity of the citizens to minimize their ability to throw good money after bad (pay as little in taxes as possible) to fix governments' spending problems and they will be forced to fix the real problems.
Kind of ironic :smile:

HM
10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I like it keeps the cheaters in check DING!
Cheating or better yet, tax evasion is wrong.
But, I explain taxes like this:
Say you are driving from point A to Point B. You have the option of taking a toll road the whole way. You also have another route, that does not take you all the way to point B, but gets you close. The second route actually has several entrances to the toll road. But, the more on-ramps you pass up, the alternate road gets a little more winding. Now, the alternate route, while not as fast, can be quite scenic. You spend more gas, but it is still less than the toll. You eventually have to enter the toll road, but you have saved more money than you spent, and possibly had a really great time.
So, if you take the free road as far as you can before entering the toll road, you are not violating any laws and not guilty of toll evasion.. If you drive through the toll gate and fail to pay to enter the toll road, you are violating the law and guilty of toll evasion.
Tax evaders eventually have to pay, and pay dearly.

azgfboatgirl
10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
AZGFgirl can't fix that.......
Recent job opening at AZGFD/Watercraft?? :D
Due to the increased phone complaints on the recent fee change in Arizona, GF is now looking to commit another employee.......I mean for another committed employee to take over the Watercraft position for the next year.
We figure this is how long these complaints will continue. :hammer2:
Our current GF girl will not be released......I mean come back from her scheduled vacation till then.
11 years and finally :yuk: :boxingguy :argue:
Have a wonderful day!! :D :D :D

Boatcop
10-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Due to the increased phone complaints on the recent fee change in Arizona, GF is now looking to commit another employee.......I mean for another committed employee to take over the Watercraft position for the next year.
We figure this is how long these complaints will continue.
Just give them a special phone number to call for fee complaints. Or an option on the main phone menu.
Like.. Press "1" to report a wounded squirrel... Press "2" to report a a rabid javalena... Press "3" to bitch about the registration fee increase.......
Then forward the call to the State Legislature. :D

azgfboatgirl
10-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Just give them a special phone number to call for fee complaints. Or an option on the main phone menu.
Like.. Press "1" to report a wounded squirrel... Press "2" to report a a rabid javalena... Press "3" to bitch about the registration fee increase.......
Then forward the call to the State Legislature. :D
I'm all for that idea....
Somehow the calls still get forwarded to me. :eek: :argue: :crossx: