PDA

View Full Version : NYC Boat Crash

***boateditor
10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Rescuers Search New York City River After Boat Crash
NEW YORK (Oct. 24) - A power boat slammed into a private rowing club's boat early Monday and knocked its four occupants into the water, injuring three of them and leaving the fourth missing, authorities said.
Coast Guard, police and fire boats searched the Harlem River, which separates upper Manhattan and the Bronx, for the missing man after the accident around 6:30 a.m.
The other three rowers, one of them suffering a serious head wound, were fished out of the water by the two people on the powerboat and taken to Harlem Hospital, police detective Bernard Gifford said.
It was not immediately known how fast the powerboat was going or whether the running lights were on. The results of a breath test given to the skipper were negative, Gifford said.

***boateditor
10-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Additionally, from the New York Daily News (boldface is mine):
NEW YORK (AP) -- One rower was missing and three others were plucked from the Harlem River - one with a head injury - after their scull smashed into a power boat in the pre-dawn darkness on Monday.
The four members of a private rowing club had left from the Peter Jay Sharp Boathouse near Dyckman Street and the Harlem River Drive when the accident occurred between 5:45 and 6 a.m.
As they navigated a turn near 181st Street, their sleek scull collided with the 29-foot power boat, Inspector Michael Phipps said at a news conference at the scene.
Three of the rowers were fished out almost immediately by the operators of the leisure craft. One suffered a serious head wound and was listed in stable condition at Harlem Hospital. The injuries of the others were believed to be less serious.
The missing rower, identified by police as Manhattan resident Jim Runsdorf, 41, had been in the front seat of the scull. Divers from the Coast Guard and the police and fire departments continued their search hours after the crash.
Phipps said speed did not appear to be a factor in the accident, and he described the water as calm. "Visibility was more of an issue," he said.
The motorboat also had left very early in the morning, when it was still dark, from Piermont in Rockland County and was heading for a marina in Connecticut to be winterized, he said.
Although it was not immediately known how fast the powerboat was going, its fastest speed is 18 mph, said Phipps.
The scull, which was recovered by the rescue team, had one light on the bow but the inspector said that would not have been enough for that time of day. It was not immediately known how many of the powerboat's running lights were on.
The skipper of the motorboat was given a breathalyzer and tested negative, Phipps said. Neither the skipper nor the other person aboard the motorboat was injured.

sea2lake
10-25-2005, 08:23 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- One rower was missing and three others were plucked from the Harlem River - one with a head injury - after their scull smashed into a power boat in the pre-dawn darkness on Monday.
there skulls must have been traveling at a quick pace

sea2lake
10-25-2005, 08:25 PM
oh, a "scull" is a row craft? how did it smashn into a power boat fast enough to inflict injury?

sea2lake
10-25-2005, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=***boateditor]Additionally, from the New York Daily News (boldface is mine):
29-foot power boat, Inspector Michael Phipps said at a news conference at the scene.
Although it was not immediately known how fast the powerboat was going, its fastest speed is 18 mph, said Phipps.
???????????????????????????????

Dusty Times
10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
[
29-foot power boat, Inspector Michael Phipps said at a news conference at the scene.
???????????????????????????????[/QUOTE]
Must have had a authentic weed wacker motor on the back. :D

***boateditor
10-25-2005, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=***boateditor]Additionally, from the New York Daily News (boldface is mine):
???????????????????????????????
Maybe he said 80 and the reporter heard 18.

***boateditor
10-25-2005, 09:29 PM
That's faster than Kilr's boat. :D
What is this, Pick on Kilrtoy Day?

Phat Matt
10-25-2005, 09:41 PM
It's probably a fishing boat. How many people actually call themselves "skippers"?

pjones
10-26-2005, 07:34 AM
My sympathies to all involved. But isn't that a little early
to be out in a row boat w/ only a bow light?
Especially w/ sunrise at 7:18

RiverToysJas
10-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe he said 80 and the reporter heard 18.
I highly doubt that this boat will go 80......
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/10/24/nyregion/25boat.large2.jpg
"A 29-foot motorboat, foreground, and a scull, attached to the side of a New York Police boat, collided on the Harlem River early Monday morning. One rower was missing and presumed dead." (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/nyregion/24cnd-boat.html?hp)
RTJas :D

welk2party
10-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Looks like it was a just a bad accident. I hope they find the missing guy for his family.

Chase
10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
My sympathies to all involved. But isn't that a little early
to be out in a row boat w/ only a bow light?
Especially w/ sunrise at 7:18
Exactly what I was thinking!!! :confused: