PDA

View Full Version : CarFax.com ???????????

jmm
10-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Has anybody ever used it? I went to the dealer with the VIN. yesturday. They gave me a print out of all the problems the truck ever had. Will carfax have more info? Is the $ 24.99 for a year???

v-drive
10-26-2005, 01:49 AM
I used it a few years ago and it helped a great deal when buying the car.
When I used it it wasn't that expensive but Like I said that was a few years ago.....v-drive

bilgewiper
10-26-2005, 04:49 AM
I hope they are better now, they have got to be to still be in bussiness! I signed up for Carfax about 5 years ago for the fun of it, because I still had the vin #'s of a bunch of salvage vehicles I used to rebuild and sell. 3 of them I knew for a fact were still on the road and Carfax didn't identify them as salvaged. I also had bought a 93 GMC brand new and sold it the year before and they had the history of it wrong. Needless to say they (Carfax) refunded my money with some excuse lame excuse about how they didn't go back that far in their database.

throwerb
10-26-2005, 05:43 AM
Carfax is only as good as the integrity of the shops that use it. If someone pays cash to have work done on their car it will most likely not show up on carfax.

PHX ATC
10-26-2005, 06:49 AM
Joke.
Some states don't report collision repairs. Some body shops won't report little stuff (mom ran into the pole and caused $5K worth of bumper damage). Really, I'm ignorant here, but when did body shops become required to report anything with damage on autos to anyone? Who tracks this stuff?
Not worth it, IMO, but I'm sure it has it's advantages.

malibuken
10-26-2005, 07:20 AM
I have to agree with everyone. I tried it and one other one, cannot remember the name. Between the two of them, they came up with 80% of each of the 10 vehicles I used it for problems or history. Each one by itself was not worth it. One vehicle was a salvage but was not listed on either report. Another had major frame straightening and did not show anything about that as well. I did learn a couple of the vehicles were rental cars in their previous lives from the reports.
If you use it as a tool, it can help, just do not take it as the 100% truth. If it says the car is bad, so be it. But if it does not show up anything bad, just be careful as usual.

RealityBoatCo
10-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I used it and found out my "one owner corvette" was actually a 4 owner corvette.

HM
10-26-2005, 10:22 AM
It is good for tracking title history - but the other stuff is hit or miss...mostly miss. I bought a used honda accord 4 years ago and used Carfax. I was impressed as I saw the car originally sold in New york. Car ran great and ran the odometer up to 150K when we sold it. A guy that wanted to buy found out a bunch of other history on the car that was not in carfax that the car had been is a couple a major accidents, and then he showed me how the car had new fenders and hood and some other things. I was amazed. The car had been obviously been repaired well as it still looked new when I sold it and drove great. The guy tried to lean on me on the price because of the history and I just laughed....and he paid me what I was asking, and not a penny less. F'ing Hondas! even when they are wrecked, they still hold their value!