PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a boat shipped X-country

clearfork
10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
We are close to completion of our boat.
One problem remains, we live in Tennessee and the boat is in California.
Can anyone reccomend a shipping company.
The one and only quote I have recieved was 4500.oo .
That seems about double what I thought reasonable.
Any and all help is greatly apreciated.
i have spent to much on the boat, cant afford to get her home.
thanks in advance .................MP

Havasu_Dreamin
10-26-2005, 12:21 PM
2k miles from Liberty, TN to Valencia, CA. At 12 MPG and $2.70 for unleaded that's $450. Shouldn't take much more than 2 days.

throwerb
10-26-2005, 12:28 PM
How soon will it be ready to come home.

clearfork
10-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I have an 03 dually and that is an option but 5k on the dually and 2k+ on the new trailer didnt sound appealing.
Plus taking a week off and driving like a mad man.
THere has to be a better way than tearing up my truck and brand new trailer.

clearfork
10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Hey brad,
The hull is finished, and we are in the home stretch with TPI.
I estimate 6 weeks before it is ready to ship.
Dyno, testing etc will take some time, but I have some other issues that nesisitate that I make a decision about transport.
Most of these issues cannot be discussed publicly, but I need to have an idea realativley soon.
Thanks guys

throwerb
10-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey brad,
The hull is finished, and we are in the home stretch with TPI.
I estimate 6 weeks before it is ready to ship.
Dyno, testing etc will take some time, but I have some other issues that nesisitate that I make a decision about transport.
Most of these issues cannot be discussed publicly, but I need to have an idea realativley soon.
Thanks guys
Pulled mine across country when I moved here and it wasn't to bad. Which ever way you go I would strongly recommend having the boat and trailer shrink wrapped for protection.

clearfork
10-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Gene says he is unable to shrinkwrap the trailer.
How do you go about wrapping the trailer?
If I tow I would like as much protection as possible.
Do you think that NB Jones Trucking would do it for 1500.oo?

nodigg
10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Too bad it won't be ready for my x-country trip starting November 1st. Leaving Cali for Texas with the 2300 HD/Duramax only, stopping off in Texas to pick up a 48' gooseneck flat bed trailer with a 9,000 pound winch up front then back to Nashville to try to buy some real estate while enroute to New Jersey to pick up a couple of Vettes I bought. Would have worked well for both of us! I could have used the fuel money boost!

throwerb
10-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Too bad it won't be ready for my x-country trip starting November 1st. Leaving Cali for Texas with the 2300 HD/Duramax only, stopping off in Texas to pick up a 48' gooseneck flat bed trailer with a 9,000 pound winch up front then back to Nashville to try to buy some real estate while enroute to New Jersey to pick up a couple of Vettes I bought. Would have worked well for both of us! I could have used the fuel money boost!
Need a real estate agent? I'd be happy to help :wink:

throwerb
10-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Not sure where to get the trailer wrapped, but I do see them in shrink wrap when they are being delivered. How about you, Jones and me just take turns driving out to get it. If he is busy he could just send this guy, I think it's his personal assistant.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1807training.jpg

clearfork
10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
I was thinking about offering Mr jones .1 per mile above his gas.
Although I am not sure My boat would look that nice behind that champagne colored f450 anyway. Need to find someone with a color co ordinated truck.
He doesnt have a job though may reduce that to .005 cents per mile.
He is probably hurting for some change to throw at the poor people.
I figured he would have chimed in by now, whats up?

Rod-64
10-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Try....
http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2414.asp?pricode=wj839

amw
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
www.powerboattransport.com ask for joy shue she will give you a good price she towed mine she has 1mil on her ins policy just make sure they have ins to cover your boat who ever you get tell her anthony wright referred you

nodigg
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Need a real estate agent? I'd be happy to help :wink:
If I do, I'll look you up. Just trying to convince some folks to sell me the land my grandfather sold to them when he sold the farm and moved to California. Told them they could live rent free till death but they are having a hard time saying yes.

NashvilleBound
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I think you bumped your friggen head :yuk: I've done the CA to TN and back 9 times......no thanks. Tho I am pretty damn sharp at checking wheel lugs;) It cost me $700 EACH way ....plus hotels. I only stopped once on the way out but two nights on the way back. 1.5 days is hauling ass..... 3 days is the norm...trust me.

NashvilleBound
10-26-2005, 02:32 PM
now that I have read the whole thread you BOTH can pound sand. :argue:
Trowerb....the rest of my week is free if you want to come down to see the office....if your still interested.....and the personal assistant crack....WAY beyond funny:|
CF: I will do it for $3999.99 tis weeks special...

2Driver
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
There is a boat transport guy on this forum somewhere.
Did the whole research thing and was ready to move a Lavey from Washington to AZ when the guy decided to keep the boat-it was all set up. With Diesal at $3.xx gallon $4500 sounds like a decent deal. Some things I learned were:
1. Shrink wrap for storage and shrink wrap for trailring are 2 different animals. Make sure the guy knows what he is doing or it will beat up your boat. Lots of guys wrapping for stoarge and not for trailering. But do have it wrapped as you dont want an interior full of oil or battery acid from another boat or what ever else is flying down the interstate or out the bilges.
2. You are responsible for getting the boat/trailer onto the truck. The trucking companies I got bids from ( A-1 for instance) only want to show up and have the boat/trailer placed on the rig. This means you need to find a place that will lift the whole rig onto then off the truck and you need to coordinate that action with the truck and parties on both ends.
Personally, I would just go get it. Not sure how big it is but here is another option. Fly out and rent a U-haul truck and drag it back. You have to rent the bigger moving van but I am guessing it would cost you about $2,500 for the u-haul with gas plus your air to get out there. I think I would just bite the bullet and drive it and let your GPS mark all the starbucks along the route :rollside:

Red Horse
10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I used to run a roll back wrecker. cost about a 1.75 a loaded mile + expenses.
Used to take BMWs, Porches, other high end cars from Abilene to DFW area. TIcket ran about 350 or so. Was only 120 miles away!!
Transport on other than your own trailer gets expensive. I would drive and tow back.

dicudmore
10-26-2005, 03:16 PM
bgchuby on the boards is the boat transport guy.
you could also try "shippingguy" (Mike)

throwerb
10-26-2005, 05:20 PM
If I do, I'll look you up. Just trying to convince some folks to sell me the land my grandfather sold to them when he sold the farm and moved to California. Told them they could live rent free till death but they are having a hard time saying yes.
Sounds like a great deal for them, good luck.

throwerb
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
now that I have read the whole thread you BOTH can pound sand. :argue:
Trowerb....the rest of my week is free if you want to come down to see the office....if your still interested.....and the personal assistant crack....WAY beyond funny:|
CF: I will do it for $3999.99 tis weeks special...
I'll go with you for half. How is your pool boy doing any way. Love to come down, may have to clear it with Chloe :)

throwerb
10-26-2005, 05:27 PM
There is a boat transport guy on this forum somewhere.
Did the whole research thing and was ready to move a Lavey from Washington to AZ when the guy decided to keep the boat-it was all set up. With Diesal at $3.xx gallon $4500 sounds like a decent deal. Some things I learned were:
1. Shrink wrap for storage and shrink wrap for trailring are 2 different animals. Make sure the guy knows what he is doing or it will beat up your boat. Lots of guys wrapping for stoarge and not for trailering. But do have it wrapped as you dont want an interior full of oil or battery acid from another boat or what ever else is flying down the interstate or out the bilges.
2. You are responsible for getting the boat/trailer onto the truck. The trucking companies I got bids from ( A-1 for instance) only want to show up and have the boat/trailer placed on the rig. This means you need to find a place that will lift the whole rig onto then off the truck and you need to coordinate that action with the truck and parties on both ends.
Personally, I would just go get it. Not sure how big it is but here is another option. Fly out and rent a U-haul truck and drag it back. You have to rent the bigger moving van but I am guessing it would cost you about $2,500 for the u-haul with gas plus your air to get out there. I think I would just bite the bullet and drive it and let your GPS mark all the starbucks along the route :rollside:
I priced a u-haul a year ago and it was running about 5k total.

Jim W
10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
the cheapest way is----
Fly out, rent a full size pick up from whoever/ national chain go down the street to a trailer hitch place, thow on a hitch and drive it home. When home remove the hitch and return the truck.
Be good, Jim

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 04:02 AM
I'll go with you for half. How is your pool boy doing any way. Love to come down, may have to clear it with Chloe :)
Have not seen the pool boy....lifes good;) Bring Chloe along if need be....no worries.

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 04:08 AM
Not sure where to get the trailer wrapped, but I do see them in shrink wrap when they are being delivered. How about you, Jones and me just take turns driving out to get it. If he is busy he could just send this guy, I think it's his personal assistant.
LMAO!!!!! :D

Sherpa
10-27-2005, 05:17 AM
Road-trip!
I did Austin Tx, to Chico, Ca in 36 hrs straight with no co-driver........
sucked, but I got my boat home pretty quick.
--Sherpa

Chaddyshack
10-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Well CF... I don't know about NB's champagne colored sled either (or if it will make it.. lol), but if you need a red Chevy to handle the duty, I have either the lifted 2500HD or the Kodiak pickup to pull it back to TN.. then I could stop by and see NB's new diggs.
Chad

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Well CF... I don't know about NB's champagne colored sled either (or if it will make it.. lol), but if you need a red Chevy to handle the duty, I have either the lifted 2500HD or the Kodiak pickup to pull it back to TN.. then I could stop by and see NB's new diggs.
Chad
I'll call NB Jones and tell him to have the pool boy get the guest quarters ready.http://re2.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1406273383

ULTRA28
10-27-2005, 06:35 AM
I can probably get the boat shipped for you for about $2,900.

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Chad
Well, well, well....look who's back...after what...two years? Welcome...smart asss mouth and all;) Are you really considering it? The red Kodiak will look good towing it....you can stay here....let us know. I can handle the Superior thing.....
Other than that go with Johns offer.

Chaddyshack
10-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, well, well....look who's back...after what...two years? Welcome...smart asss mouth and all;) Are you really considering it? The red Kodiak will look good towing it....you can stay here....let us know. I can handle the Superior thing.....
Other than that go with Johns offer.
Handle the Superior thing huh??? sure... just until April then then goes balls out!!!! :D
I would go with John as well, that seems to be a good price unless your going to try and do it yourself, but make sure whoever brings it has good insurance that covers the costs.
C

Chaddyshack
10-27-2005, 10:56 AM
I'll call NB Jones and tell him to have the pool boy get the guest quarters ready.http://re2.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1406273383
Yea.. I'm sure that his "guest" house is bigger than his old shack in Ca!!!! ;)

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
What-ev-errrrr (see, I can still talk Valley talk......;))

throwerb
10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
His boat lives in a bigger house than mine.

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
What about this guy????

throwerb
10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
What about this guy????
NB Jones' personal asst. :wink:

RiverOtter
10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
NB Jones' personal asst. :wink:
Does he clean up tobacco spit stains ? :idea:

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:03 PM
LMAO....you guys are killing me. I think you might want to rename this thread...bag on NB.

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Does he clean up tobacco spit stains ? :idea:
If I know nothing else in my life...he will NEVER do that again...that much I can guarantee;) :D :D :D

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:07 PM
LMAO....you guys are killing me. I think you might want to rename this thread...bag on NB.
We're just jealous. :D Guess that why they call it keeping up with the ... well you know.

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:09 PM
If I know nothing else in my life...he will NEVER do that again...that much I can guarantee;) :D :D :D
You trying to tell us he's buried in the field behind you now. :jawdrop:

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:09 PM
We're just jealous. :D Guess that why they call it keeping up with the ... well you know.
LOl...whateverrrrrr..... Friday? Lunch? 11ish? My treat.....

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:12 PM
You trying to tell us he's buried in the field behind you now. :jawdrop:
No....we just had a little face to face when we got home. Just sharing my feelings. You know how I have a hard time being direct sometimes.....

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I'll see what I can do, sounds like fun. Did you get the new prop yet?

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
I'll see what I can do, sounds like fun. Did you get the new prop yet?
No. Have not had time. Need to round up a labbed 26....and get a day over 75.

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:16 PM
No....we just had a little face to face when we got home. Just sharing my feelings. You know how I have a hard time being direct sometimes.....
Thought maybe you took the glasses back. ;) I still remember getting out of your truck and passing his oral artistry on the ffront of your boat on the way to the house and thinking you were going to hang him out back.

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:18 PM
Thought maybe you took the glasses back. ;) I still remember getting out of your truck and passing his oral artistry on the ffront of your boat on the way to the house and thinking you were going to hang him out back.
He is still working off the NB retail price. I figure 20 or so hours of work for me should be about right;) Lucky for him Stacy always reminds me to play nice.

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:18 PM
No. Have not had time. Need to round up a labbed 26....and get a day over 75.
Funny how all the sudden 75 seems so far away :(

NashvilleBound
10-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Funny how all the sudden 75 seems so far away :(
Pretty much. I will see how next weeks weather looks. If it has a few sunny days it will not how warm it is...I need a day out already. Ready to co-pilot again?

throwerb
10-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Pretty much. I will see how next weeks weather looks. If it has a few sunny days it will not how warm it is...I need a day out already. Ready to co-pilot again?
I'm leaving now :D

DAVID
10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
We are close to completion of our boat.
One problem remains, we live in Tennessee and the boat is in California.
Can anyone reccomend a shipping company.
The one and only quote I have recieved was 4500.oo .
That seems about double what I thought reasonable.
Any and all help is greatly apreciated.
i have spent to much on the boat, cant afford to get her home.
thanks in advance .................MP
I just got a boat delivered from Fresno, Ca to Arkansas on a haul back
from another boat co. for $1700. I would hope the place you bought it
could scare up a deal like that.

riverroyal
10-27-2005, 07:55 PM
I think you bumped your friggen head :yuk: I've done the CA to TN and back 9 times......no thanks. Tho I am pretty damn sharp at checking wheel lugs;) It cost me $700 EACH way ....plus hotels. I only stopped once on the way out but two nights on the way back. 1.5 days is hauling ass..... 3 days is the norm...trust me.
be a nice side job for me huh?can I sleep in your guest villa after dropping the boat?I may have some free,Ill tow it :D

NashvilleBound
10-28-2005, 03:44 AM
be a nice side job for me huh?can I sleep in your guest villa after dropping the boat?I may have some free,Ill tow it :D
Scare me. lol.... You may stay here for a pit stop (pit stop ie. one night;)) The "I may have some free time" quote really makes me nervous. If you do it for 3K you should pocket 1500 as long as you are driving a non lifted truck.

Chaddyshack
10-28-2005, 07:45 AM
You never have bought me lunch.... WTF.... just cuz I didn't help clean the boat??? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh, thats right.. I just helped wax it!!!
And Yes.. this is bag on NB thread!!! LOL
c

NashvilleBound
10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
You never have bought me lunch.... WTF.... just cuz I didn't help clean the boat??? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh, thats right.. I just helped wax it!!!
And Yes.. this is bag on NB thread!!! LOL
c
Isnt some fool wanting to pump today? Let me get my book out of meals that I paid for. All three years of training I paid for all meals....should have been four years. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :D

Chaddyshack
10-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Isnt some fool wanting to pump today? Let me get my book out of meals that I paid for. All three years of training I paid for all meals....should have been four years. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :D
wwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaat eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee v R :D

riverroyal
10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Scare me. lol.... You may stay here for a pit stop (pit stop ie. one night;)) The "I may have some free time" quote really makes me nervous. If you do it for 3K you should pocket 1500 as long as you are driving a non lifted truck.
im ready,im off from work awhile,i got time trust me.Tell whomever needs this done I maybe able to help.What kinda boat? :D

TOBTEK
10-28-2005, 09:04 AM
im ready,im off from work awhile,i got time trust me.Tell whomever needs this done I maybe able to help.What kinda boat? :D
RR....You need to change your signature from "its all about me" to "have time and a truck, will tow for cash" :)

riverroyal
10-28-2005, 09:09 AM
need something to do!!!we still going tommorrow right?5 a.m.?

TOBTEK
10-28-2005, 09:12 AM
need something to do!!!we still going tommorrow right?5 a.m.?
yes sir......READY to go! went to Camping World and bought a bunch of lube this morning. Do you have a electric air pump? Last time I was out there the tires looked spongy.... DONT LET ME FORGET THE TRAILER KEYS :supp:

riverroyal
10-28-2005, 09:15 AM
im bringing my small compressor,110 from the trailer and were in business before you unplug it.See you at 5,im not knockin on the door,you maybe GETTIN BUSY before the trip,you wish

NashvilleBound
10-28-2005, 02:50 PM
What are you two GUYS going to do? Lube? Getting busy? Air compressor? Trailer???.......hmmmmmm...sounds fishy to me :idea: :idea: :idea:

throwerb
10-28-2005, 02:56 PM
What are you two GUYS going to do? Lube? Getting busy? Air compressor? Trailer???.......hmmmmmm...sounds fishy to me :idea: :idea: :idea:
Maybe they're buying a new Magic Deck boat :confused: Don't forget the lug wrench. :D

NashvilleBound
10-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Maybe they're buying a new Magic Deck boat :confused: Don't forget the lug wrench. :D
LOWWWWWWWWWWW Brad...low. ;)

riverroyal
10-28-2005, 05:05 PM
and a :D

riverroyal
10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
trailer is in yuma ,at the river,we are using my truck to bring it home,air for the tires,lube for the 5th wheel plate,,,,,,pervs,geez

throwerb
10-29-2005, 04:18 AM
LOWWWWWWWWWWW Brad...low. ;)
Just kidding. Besides you know I would go through anything to have a boat as sweet as yours, I'd even give up the family jewels, if the wife hadn't hid them from me :(