PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Here

Jbb
10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Install hardwood floors.....I want to install some in my house .....and I have some questions...

Tom Brown
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I've done it.
Go with a good epoxy primer filler... like DuPont 1144. It will take several coats or the grain will print through.

welk2party
10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
No, but I like hardwood floors on my women! :D

76ANTHONY
10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Install hardwood floors.....I want to install some in my house .....and I have some questions...
no but i did stay at a holiday in express last night, can i help you??? :D

BrendellaJet
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Ive done it, whats your ?

OutCole'd
10-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I sell them, but I have never installed them. But I can ask, what do you need to know?

YeLLowBoaT
10-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Yes what do you need to know?

coolchange
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Done a few, hundred k feet.

Jbb
10-28-2005, 06:05 PM
I've done it.
Go with a good epoxy primer filler... like DuPont 1144. It will take several coats or the grain will print through.
wise guy in every crowd................ :rolleyes:

Jbb
10-28-2005, 06:38 PM
The questions were which type is considered best ....Im not sure I want the headaches of the sand and finish in place stuff......and I dont think the real thin Pergo stuff looks right for me....I read on the net that the pre finished 3/4 in stuff has the toughest finish...I have 2 dogs walking on it ....and I would like to be able to repair it if necessary...when they scratch it up...One of the suppliers says the 5/16 engineered wood is toughest

tcook33
10-28-2005, 06:55 PM
The questions were which type is considered best ....Im not sure I want the headaches of the sand and finish in place stuff......and I dont think the real thin Pergo stuff looks right for me....I read on the net that the pre finished 3/4 in stuff has the toughest finish...I have 2 dogs walking on it ....and I would like to be able to repair it if necessary...when they scratch it up...One of the suppliers says the 5/16 engineered wood is toughest
I got 3/4" heavily distressed walnut here in my house. It's solid wood that was pre-distressded/finished at the mill. I installed it myself. It's pretty easy with the right tools. It been real durable also. Haven't had to repair any areas yet. It's been in my house for a little over 3 years.

LUVNLIFE
10-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry I only install hardwood :D :D Sorry Jbb I don't believe in hijacking but I couldn't let it get by. :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
10-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Personally I would go with unfinished.... IF you go the prefinished route make sure you get some that that you can refinish latter down the road. Its not just the thickness some of the newer finishs do not sand off well. My unlce manufactors ~ 10 k borad feet a week he uses some of the newer UV cured stuff. you can take a floor sander to it all it does is gum up the paper after about 3 ft.
All wood will dent and scratch. by going with a lighter color and a hard wood you can minimize them.

RiverToysJas
10-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Any idiot can do it.....so you should probably hire someone. ;)
RTJas :D

Jbb
10-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Any idiot can do it.....so you should probably hire someone. ;)
RTJas :D
More pearls of wisdom ....Mr moderator.....yes, perhaps I should hire an idiot to do it....

koolbreeze
10-29-2005, 06:57 AM
i aint a expert but i have installed it in my own home. first question, is your home on a slab or is it a conventional foundation? if its ona slab i recommend the Bruce brand of flooring. you can get it pre-finished in all different shades and styles. its tuff and durable and easy to install by using glue.
the pergo type floors are also referred to as a "floating floor". that is each piece of flooring is connected to another piece of flooring but none of the flooring pieces are attached to a foundation. hence the term floating floor. i didnt care for the pergo floors, it looked to me like some cheap ass vinyl floor.
check out the Bruce Brand.

Jbb
10-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Plywood flooring over a basement...my small foyer is already pre finished Bruce flooring...it has held up well in the 9 years since it was built but is scatched up...If Im gonna do the whole house....its gonna have to be repairable

Big Kahunaa
10-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Remember floors are like women you lay them right the first time you can walk all over them for years

spectras only
10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
JBB , I've done the Quick floor [ floating on 1/4" foam ] from home depot in my previous home a while ago. It was the type you had to glue the panels . When I did the purchase ,the hardwood guys tried to steer me away from it saying it will fall apart in no time :sleeping: .Did it anyway , and the floor still looks like new after 8 yrs ;) .I tried to stab it , scratch it ,and it was amazingly hard to do any damage at all. The backing is like melamine ,unlike the Ikea stuff that looks like particle board :jawdrop: . We have Kahrs in our home and it's a PITA with all the scratches and dimples from high heels . Go for the artifical stuff if you got dogs :idea:

Coleitis22
10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Remember floors are like women you lay them right the first time you can walk all over them for years
But they still are prone to creaking now and then :p