PDA

View Full Version : WHo's Life Is It Anyway?

Her454
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM
As much as I hate smoking, I still believe in the right of freedom. This is crazy....................
Oct. 28, 2005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(CBS/The Early Show)
(CBS) What you do on your own time could land you in trouble with your employer. More businesses are cracking down on unhealthy habits, such as smoking, to cut down on health-care costs.
But are companies crossing the line, instituting lifestyle discrimination instead of responsible policy? 60 Minutes correspondent Morley Safer examines the issue this Sunday, Oct. 30, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.
Howard Weyers decreed that all his workers must be non-smokers so he could save money on company healthcare. ThatÂ’s his right, he says and so does the law in 20 states.
But the workers he fired for not complying believe their rights were trampled because they say smoking does not impact their job performance.
“The true issue here ... is about privacy,” says Anita Epolito, fired from her job at Weyco, an insurance consultancy in Michigan. “This is about what you do on your own time … that is legal, that does not conflict with your job performance.”
Epolito and her co-worker Cara Stiffler were fired by Weyers for not giving up smoking. Weyers says he gave the women time to quit and offered help through a smoking cessation program.
He had no qualms about firing them when they could not kick the habit.
“What's important? This job — and this is a very nice place to work — or the use of tobacco?” says Weyers, whose lifestyle includes workouts five days a week. “The biggest frustration in the workplace is the cost of healthcare. Medical plans … weren't established to pay for unhealthy lifestyles,” he tells Safer.
Lewis Maltby, who heads the Workrights Institute — an advocacy group for workers — calls the ban at Weyco “lifestyle discrimination.”
“The problem is lots of things increase your healthcare costs,” says Maltby. "Smoking. Drinking. Eating junk food. Not getting enough sleep. Dangerous hobbies. Skiing, scuba diving. If you allow employers to regulate private behavior because it's going to affect the company's healthcare costs, we can all kiss our private lives goodbye."
Many companies, large and small, have begun policies they hope will lower healthcare costs.
One of the more popular of such policies, “wellness programs,” offers incentives for employees if they agree to try to get healthier. The University of Louisville program gives employees a $20 credit on their health insurance each month if they exercise, lose weight and fill out a confidential questionnaire asking them to divulge their eating, health and sexual habits. If they are flagged as unhealthy, they must agree to regular check-ins from a lifestyle coach who pushes them to lose weight.
Divulging such private information, says Mark Rothstein, a bioethics professor at the same university, could be harmful.
“People who work for employers who, perhaps, don't have the best record of keeping privacy might well be concerned that the information could filter back to the company and they could be adversely treated,” he tells Safer.
Information getting back to an employer has had devastating effects for some workers. A woman in Alabama was fired for having a "Kerry for president" bumper sticker, a man in West Virginia was terminated for asking a political candidate an embarrassing question and a Colorado man who worked for a Budweiser beer distributorship was fired for drinking a Coors Light.
All were legal firings and, in fact, employers can fire workers for just about anything in 45 states.

Flashover
10-29-2005, 12:08 PM
There is a no smoking policy in our Fire Dept...

lucky
10-29-2005, 12:09 PM
if you want to inhale pollution and hack greenies -- more power to ya - -- fricken free america has been monitored america :coffeycup

MAINEVENT
10-29-2005, 12:11 PM
That sux its one thing if they want to you to not do it at work but my own time is exactly that MY OWN TIME :devil:

MAINEVENT
10-29-2005, 12:12 PM
if you want to inhale pollution and hack greenies -- more power to ya - -- fricken free america has been monitored america :coffeycup
LAND OF THE FREE????????? :confused: :notam:

YeLLowBoaT
10-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I really don't think it is wrong to fire some 1 that breaks your policys( what every they are) I have to say that if I had two ppl up for the same job and 1 smoked and the other didn't I would chose the one that didn't.... There is nothing like meeting some 1 for the 1st time and the only thing that you remember about Them is: they smell like smoke. What you do on YOUR time does effect what you do on MY time.

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:21 PM
As much as I hate smoking, I still believe in the right of freedom.
I totally agree.
I made the same argument when they picked me up for butchering that hitchhiker.
Hey, man, it's a free country.
That's why I regularly scream "fire" in crowded movie theaters.
Freedom of speech.
I key every car I don't like.
It's my key. I can do whatever the hell I want with it.
God bless America!
:smile:

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I really don't think it is wrong to fire some 1 that breaks your policys( what every they are) I have to say that if I had two ppl up for the same job and 1 smoked and the other didn't I would chose the one that didn't.... There is nothing like meeting some 1 for the 1st time and the only thing that you remember about Them is: they smell like smoke. What you do on YOUR time does effect what you do on MY time.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way.. But your a moron.
RD

YeLLowBoaT
10-29-2005, 12:26 PM
RD
So you don't think its wrong to fire some 1 cuzz they break your policys??????? can I come work for you????

riverbound
10-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Are you f-ing kidding me??? What I do on MY time affects what I do on my Employers time??
You have got to be. People who know me from the river, would probably not recognize me at work. There is a defference.

Her454
10-29-2005, 12:28 PM
I hate the smell of smoke also. But that effects their ability to perform their job how?
I totally agree.
I made the same argument when they picked me up for butchering that hitchhiker.
Hey, man, it's a free country.
That's why I regularly scream "fire" in crowded movie theaters.
Freedom of speech.
I key every car I don't like.
It's my key. I can do whatever the hell I want with it.
God bless America!
:smile:
And ***boat is going to fire you if you keep going off your meds.... :rolleyes:

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Of course, I can't speak for YeLLowBoat.
But there's really only one way to take being called a moron by someone who can't spell the word "you're."

HM
10-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Smokers affect group insurance plans. I guess that is minding your own business?

riverbound
10-29-2005, 12:32 PM
So you don't think its wrong to fire some 1 cuzz they break your policys??????? can I come work for you????
But can you make up any policy you feel like?? That means if I had a "no pork" policy.....I could fire someone for eating pork while at work??
The policies have to be put in place for things that affect the employess aability to perform their job.

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Of course, I can't speak for YeLLowBoat.
But there's really only one way to take being called a moron by someone who can't spell the word "you're."
Well you got me there.. Must've been all those smoke breaks I took during english class that are holding me back in life.
RD

OutCole'd
10-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Would it be OK to ask the people that smoke and cause an increase (for the insurance the business owner provides) to pay the difference between a smoker and a non smoker?
Why should it cost me money for something an employee does on their own time?
Just curious....?

Debbolas
10-29-2005, 12:37 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566s_mom-med.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
It's not a matter of just breaking the policies in place. It's the legality of said policies.
Smoking is not a crime in the USA. Obviously there are limitations placed on it such as the laws in CA and smoking IN the workplace. However, smoking a cigarette in the privacy of your own home or vehicle or out in public, at least those public areas that allow it, is perfectly legal. How any employer, except for some government agencies, can prevent an employee from engaging in a perfectly legal acitivy on their own time is beyond me. And beofre you ask, no I do not smoke and will not ever smoke.

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Well you got me there.. Must've been all those smoke breaks I took during english class that are holding me back in life.
I dunno about that, Dave.
But you can't really call somebody on their intelligence, or lack thereof, if you can't at least spell your insult correctly.
Not if you want to draw a little blood.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 12:41 PM
But can you make up any policy you feel like?? That means if I had a "no pork" policy.....I could fire someone for eating pork while at work??.
No, to be a true comparison to the example given, you would have to fire them for eating pork AWAY from work. How phucking lame is that!?!?!?!?!

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Would it be OK to ask the people that smoke and cause an increase (for the insurance the business owner provides) to pay the difference between a smoker and a non smoker?
Why should it cost me money for something an employee does on their own time?
Just curious....?
Perfectly fine from my perspective and I can't think of any labor laws that would prevent it. But I can think of privacy laws in gathering the information on who does and does not smoke.

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 12:43 PM
But you can't really call somebody on their intelligence, or lack thereof, if you can't at least spell your insult correctly.
In case you didn't notice, my job is not "editor" at a magazine.. Someones "intelligence" level is not in direct correlation to the number of typo's on a message board. If it was, 1/2 the members on this board would still be repeating 6th grade.
RD

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Smoking is not a crime in the USA.
I'm not saying it should be, or should not be.
But it strikes me as damned odd that smoking pot is a crime when that hasn't really killed anybody.
It just impairs you mentally, the way alcohol does. And alcohol is 100 percent legal.
Meanwhile, cigarettes kill about half a million people every year.
I'm just looking for a little consistency.

lucky
10-29-2005, 12:47 PM
I got your back Dave , They expect nothing from me --
Excuse me yellow boat , but YOUR ( see dave i did good ) a Moroooneeee :yuk: lmao --
Brett , please leave Rd alone he's been on a magical flight ...

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 12:48 PM
But it strikes me as damned odd that smoking pot is a crime when that hasn't really killed anybody.
It just impairs you mentally, the way alcohol does. And alcohol is 100 percent legal.
I don't think you'll get any arguement from anyone here with that logic, which makes sense. But, as you pointed out, one is legal and the other is not, hence drug-testing. That's why the compariosn of smoking cigarettes to smoking pot does not hold water in this debate since one is legal while the other is not. Debating the effects, or is it affects? :p , of one vs. the other is pointless for this particular debate.

ROZ
1/2 the members on this board would still be repeating 6th grade.
RD
I repeateed the 6th grade twice,

lucky
over population is a issue :idea: Ps did i mention my ex is a smoker :jawdrop: :D :D

***boateditor
In case you didn't notice, my job is not "editor" at a magazine.. Someones "intelligence" level is not in direct correlation to the number of typo's on a message board. If it was, 1/2 the members on this board would still be repeating 6th grade.
I didn't say it was.
I said you look like an idiot calling someone a moron if you can't at least spell the insult correctly.
That's what I said.

lucky
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
2nd grade was a biatch for me -- dam crayons

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Smoking pot has never killed anybody? You sure about that?
RD

HM
10-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Debating the effects, or is it affects?
The affects on your personal effects has interesting effects, especially if it effects the contract, which does not mean it affects the contract. :D

***boateditor
Debating the effects, or is it affects?
Effects.
Generally, "effect" is a noun.
The thong photo of Mrs. Hooter Sled had a strong effect on me.
"Affect" is a verb.
Man, her thong really affects me.
But sometimes "effect" can be a verb.
We need to effect a new rule to force Mrs. Hooter Sled to only wear thongs.

RiverDave
I didn't say it was.
I said you look like an idiot calling someone a moron if you can't at least spell the insult correctly.
That's what I said.
I look like an idiot becuase I forgot an apostrophe..
Yet your the cool guy walking around with
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar11951_5.gif
On the front of your shirt?
Whatever helps ya sleep at night. ;)
RD

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Forty-eight percent sure, man....... :squiggle:

HM
10-29-2005, 12:55 PM
RD
Well not directly. The people that die in the enforcement of drug laws doesn't count. Oh, and the people that die in drug deals gone bad doesn't count either. Don't be such a downer....dooooooood.

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Well not directly. The people that die in the enforcement of drug laws doesn't count. Oh, and the people that die in drug deals gone bad doesn't count either. Don't be such a downer....dooooooood.
Better skip the people that are OUI as well.. And the people that spilt the bong water while they were driving. ;) Most importantly the people that discovered that Pot is the #1 "trigger" for schezophrania.
RD

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Yet your the cool guy walking around with
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar11951_5.gif
On the front of your shirt?
Whatever helps ya sleep at night.
You're really not getting the hang of this "you're" thing, are you?
"You're" is a contraction meaning "you are."
"Your" is possessive. "Is this a piece of your brain?"
I'm proud of my shirt.
Are you proud of your ignorance?

soupersonic
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I smoke and i have for 20 years. I am also one of the healthiest people i know, I eat right, i shop at Whole Foods and buy nothing except organic meats, fruits and vegetables. I drink alot of tea and water ,rarely a soda. I get plenty of exercise. I might get a cold once in 4 years. I remember the last time i went to the Dr was for stitches when i cut my hand open . I think i would exhaust every resource i had to sue some ahole that fired me for being a smoker. Prove that me being a smoker affects anyone, much less anyone elses health insurance :yuk:

HM
10-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Better skip the people that are OUI as well.. And the people that spilt the bong water while they were driving. ;) Most importantly the people that discovered that Pot is the #1 "trigger" for schezophrania.
RD
You missed a reply I made to you about your comeback as an azzhole on the boards. You are already going down hill. Will you bite someones ear already and make it interesting? :D

ROZ
10-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Effect applies to objects. Affect applies to personal well being.
Her thong covered booty clearly had an affect on me. My boner effected my pant's appearance.

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
schezophrania.
RD
i would have had to look that up :coffeycup good job Dave :D

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm proud of my shirt.
I would be far more proud of any character trait of mine, including faults.. Then that shirt. :D Just my opinion of YOUR shirt. ;) :D
RD

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 01:01 PM
i would have had to look that up :coffeycup good job Dave :D
I get lucky every now and again.
RD

RiverDave
10-29-2005, 01:02 PM
You missed a reply I made to you about your comeback as an azzhole on the boards. You are already going down hill. Will you bite someones ear already and make it interesting? :D
Well it's not going to be H20Edits.. contrary to popular belief I have plans on posting on the board in the future. I'd hate to have to go get a new screen name and IP address etc.. to do that.
RD

ROZ
10-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Prove that me being a smoker affects anyone, much less anyone elses health insurance :yuk:
I can go there. There is more than enough factual evidence that states smoking is a direct cause of certain diseases. As far as smoking effecting the cost of insurance premiums, everything effects insurance premiums....
20 years, eh? Quite smoking for 7 months and people will notice how much better you look. Have a pulminologist test for every concieveble function effected by smoking before and after. No if's, and's, or butt's , there will be a difference.

MagicMtnDan
I repeateed the 6th grade twice,
Just wondering: if you "repeateed (sic) the 6th grade twice," doesn't that mean you were in 6th grade for four years?! :rollside: :rolleyes:

HM
I'm proud of my shirt.
And he draws blood, ladies and gentlemen.
LOL
Hey Brett, I need a secretary with great typing and spelling skills who has great attention to details to clean up my contracts. $15/hour. Non-smokers only. :D

***boateditor
10-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I would be far more proud of any character trait of mine, including faults.. Then that shirt. :D Just my opinion of YOUR shirt. ;) :D
RD
Excellent!
On the "your," anyway.
Now we'll talk about than vs. then.
"Than" is comparative.
I would be far more proud of any character trait of mine than your shirt.
"Then" is a time-related word.
Learn your third-grade spelling. Only then will people take your words seriously.
Of course, if these words remain too difficult for you to spell, you can go on appearing illiterate to everybody.
It's a free country.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Prove that me being a smoker affects anyone, much less anyone elses health insurance :yuk:
Well, second-hand smoke ahs been proven to have an impact on others. But I don't think you were being that literal, right? :p

MagicMtnDan
10-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I smoke and i have for 20 years. I am also one of the healthiest people i know, I eat right, i shop at Whole Foods and buy nothing except organic meats, fruits and vegetables. I drink alot of tea and water ,rarely a soda. I get plenty of exercise. I might get a cold once in 4 years. I remember the last time i went to the Dr was for stitches when i cut my hand open . I think i would exhaust every resource i had to sue some ahole that fired me for being a smoker. Prove that me being a smoker affects anyone, much less anyone elses health insurance :yuk:
I don't know you but I do hope you are healthy. However, just because you provide some examples of what you say makes you "one of the healthiest people (you) know," doesn't mean you won't die of lung cancer in the coming years.
I don't have to prove that your (or is it "you're?" Just kidding) smoking affects (or is it "effects?" Still kidding) anyone. Millions of dollars have been spent on tens-hundreds of research reports that prove smoking will kill you. And before a smoker dies of lung cancer they usually require healthcare/hospitalization involving significant costs which does drive up the cost of everyone's health insurance.
How about this to stir the pot: It should be OK if adults don't wear helmets while riding motorcycles but I think they should be mandated by law to wear them to wear them so it keeps everyone else's healthcare costs down :D

topless
10-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Better hope jello shots don't become against company policy.

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Great Brett,
You just gave Traci ammo. I feel like a flunky ! I'm going to in roll ( sp ?) in Skool - and see if'n i can gladuate !

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Better hope jello shots don't become against company policy.
now that der was funny

ROZ
10-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Just wondering: if you "repeateed (sic) the 6th grade twice," doesn't that mean you were in 6th grade for four years?! :rollside: :rolleyes:
Could be but I only repeetid it twise before I qwit skool :D That meens I was in it for 3 yearz in a ro :D

Her454
10-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Great Brett,
You just gave Traci ammo. I feel like a flunky ! I'm going to in roll ( sp ?) in Skool - and see if'n i can gladuate !
I don't need ammo when it comes to YOUR spelling Lucky. I love starting these debates on friday...................
And I didn't have say a word about religion, sex, dog porn or pit bulls. :wink:
BTW, its "ENROLL" not in roll. :)

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't need ammo when it comes to YOUR spelling Lucky. I love starting these debates on friday...................
And I didn't have say a word about religion, sex, dog porn or pit bulls. :wink:
BTW, its "ENROLL" not in roll. :)
yea , well ya should have capitilized Friday :) :D

Her454
10-29-2005, 01:20 PM
yea , well ya should have capitilized Friday :) :D
I was testing Brett.
"Capitalized"

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I was testing Brett.
He's really into spanking this week ..

soupersonic
10-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Well, second-hand smoke ahs been proven to have an impact on others. But I don't think you were being that literal, right? :p
I dont smoke in the house or in the truck, i guess im a polite smoker. I know others dont like it. I can see how it would effect or affect even :mix: the insurance industry. I have been on jobsites where was a no smoking rule, No problem ,but dont try and tell me what i should do at home. I dont come to work hungover on "smoke" and cant perform my duties.I was just posting as an individual who is in good health.Saying that it doesnt effect or affect MY job performance. Im sure there are alot of people who smoke who arent as fortunate. Hopefully YOUR not one of them :mix:

little rowe boat
10-29-2005, 01:22 PM
There is a no smoking policy in our Fire Dept...
We also have a no smoking policy.

Her454
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM
He's really into spanking this week ..
I know, and I dont want any blood drawn in my direction so I'm minding my p's and q's. And yours and you're's LOL.

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Tom or Brain should chime in here ! I have seen pictured of them smoking on the forums - And this is a no smoking forum !

ROZ
10-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I was just posting as an individual who is in good health.
You can make the statement and argue it to a point, but you are relatively healthy considering you smoke.

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I know, and I dont want any blood drawn in my direction so I'm minding my p's and q's. And yours and you're's LOL.
only mind your q's , I'll take care of the Pee's :D

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:26 PM
or was that pea's :confused:

RiverDave
Excellent!
On the "your," anyway.
Now we'll talk about than vs. then.
"Than" is comparative.
I would be far more proud of any character trait of mine than your shirt.
"Then" is a time-related word.
Learn your third-grade spelling. Only then will people take your words seriously.
Of course, if these words remain too difficult for you to spell, you can go on appearing illiterate to everybody.
It's a free country.
You got beat up alot in gym class didn't you?
RD

lucky
pz :confused:

Her454
Tom or Brain should chime in here ! I have seen pictured of them smoking on the forums - And this is a no smoking forum !
Are you smoking crack today? You're much more difficult to understand today than usual LOL.

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm confusious - i was told never to p - pea or pee in the wind :D

soupersonic
10-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't know you but I do hope you are healthy. However, just because you provide some examples of what you say makes you "one of the healthiest people (you) know," doesn't mean you won't die of lung cancer in the coming years.
I know smoking is not good for me but look at the pro athletes who have died recently,im sure they werent smokers.I could die in a car accident on the way to work,should we all quit working or driving? I think the problem lies with the high cost of health insurance and medications to begin with, not someones right to smoke and have a job.... or not.

ROZ
10-29-2005, 01:31 PM
There is a no smoking policy at the gas refinery

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Are you smoking crack today? You're much more difficult to understand today than usual LOL.
what do you mean "today" I took it up three weeks ago ! I heard it was safe - and hey , my work place does not have a no crack rule ! Good -god ,glad i joined the plumming union ..

soupersonic
10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree that smoking affects the insurance industry, it would just suck to lose your job over it

little rowe boat
10-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Huh? :confused:

lucky
10-29-2005, 01:36 PM
I believe the high cost of Medical insurance is do to the astronmical fee's due to emergency room billing procedures ! :idea:

superdave013
10-29-2005, 01:56 PM
That sux its one thing if they want to you to not do it at work but my own time is exactly that MY OWN TIME :devil:
then pay 100% of your health care. that's all it's about. keeping His share of HIS employies health care down.

MagicMtnDan
10-29-2005, 02:02 PM
what do you mean "today" I took it up three weeks ago ! I heard it was safe - and hey , my work place does not have a no crack rule ! Good -god ,glad i joined the plumming union ..
Are you a plumber on crack or are you smoking a plumber's crack or... :D
Wait until ***boatEd gets a hold of you for "plumming" (sic)!!!

superdave013
10-29-2005, 02:03 PM
you don't have (or konw you have) lung cancer YET. If and when you get it that will drive up your employers heath costs.
BTW, my best friend died of it. Not a good way to go man.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Within the firehouse or at all?

lucky
10-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Are you a plumber on crack or are you smoking a plumber's crack or... :D
Wait until ***boatEd gets a hold of you for "plumming" (sic)!!!
I'm in agg. i'm a plummer ( n.) A Person whom raises plums - :D

HM
10-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Wait until they start firing people for eating Big Macs and not exercising. Brett will be pissed.

superdave013
10-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Wait until they start firing people for eating Big Macs and not exercising. Brett will be pissed.
Or be the first one fired. ;)

OutCole'd
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
I see a new job for RD....

vodkarocks
10-29-2005, 02:29 PM
if you can fire people for smoking because it drives up health care cost, shouldn't you also be able to fire them for being overweight?

Havasu_Dreamin
10-29-2005, 02:31 PM
if you can fire people for smoking because it drives up health care cost, shouldn't you also be able to fire them for being overweight?
One would think.

H2OT TIMES
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Maybe he could just adopt a policy of not offering health insurance to employees that smoke. He would just be making the statement " smoke if you want but, i'm not paying for any part of your health care".

Rexone
10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Well if nothing else this thread has shown me why Brett is the editor and the rest of us are idiots. As a group we scuk at spellnig. Your wlecome. :D
Oh and don't smoke, its bad for you're lungs n shit.

Ultrafied
10-29-2005, 11:46 PM
1 - I would understand if the people were hired understanding that this company will not hire a person who smokes for health care cost reasons. But ... to change policy after a person who has been hired and force a lifestyle change is not right or legal in my opinion for an act that is not illegal.
2 - so non-smoking is the "in thing" now. The majority of America would probably no be affected by a no smoking or no job law. But, what if ... next ...
a) no drinking or no job - alcoholism
b) no prolonged sun activities or no job - skin cancer
c) no speeding tickets, etc or no job - fatal or long term health care
d) no off road activities or no job - fatal or long term health care
Until it affects someone personally, it usually doesn't matter to them. That's why freedom, and the conscious decision to protect it can be very hard. You may have to protect something that you don't necessarily believe in, except for the freedom of doing it. :D

YeLLowBoaT
10-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Oh boy............
If you don't like a employers policys--do not be employeed by them. If this was over something like "no drugs" no one would have cared about some one getting fired. Since its about smoking every one is up in arms about it. Last time I checked ppl that smoke are addicts......
I just want to know Why is it that having a no smoking policy is wrong?????
Health care is just a small part of the package.

little rowe boat
10-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Huh??? :confused:

Ultrafied
10-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Oh boy............
If you don't like a employers policys--do not be employeed by them. If this was over something like "no drugs" no one would have cared about some one getting fired. Since its about smoking every one is up in arms about it. Last time I checked ppl that smoke are addicts......
I just want to know Why is it that having a no smoking policy is wrong?????
Health care is just a small part of the package.
1- drugs are illegal and you know upon hiring that you are not allowed to use drugs
2 - tobacco is NOT illegal.
A no smoking policy is not wrong, at the work place. Just as no drinking at the work place is not wrong. But to demand that you quit smoking in your house, on vacation, etc. .... well, how would you feel about being told not have a beer at home if you enjoy drinking?

superdave013
10-30-2005, 03:27 PM
1 - I would understand if the people were hired understanding that this company will not hire a person who smokes for health care cost reasons. But ... to change policy after a person who has been hired and force a lifestyle change is not right or legal in my opinion for an act that is not illegal.
that's the key point right there. Hey, I don't have to hire you if you smoke. But if I do I would think I could not let you go because I change my mind later on down the road.

Red Horse
10-30-2005, 04:23 PM
I dont think that a buisiness owner should have to pay anymore for health care for smokers vs. non smokers. He is paying the premium, then he gets to choose. I think it is very fair.
For some that dont think your personal lives dont effect (proper usage??) your pro or employed lives, think again. Just for example, your credit score has a big effect on things like insurance costs, security clearances etc. I have a guy that works for me, went thru a divorce, got in some credit card problems and got his security clearance revoked because of it. Not just military have some sort of security clearance either. This could happen in child care, legal professions, any type of trust position. So what you do in your off time DOES affect your on time. This day and age every one is looking to deny somebody something because of something else seeminly unrelated.
Healthy smoker?? I dont think so. Lets go run about 5 miles. I am an ex smoker. You will not realize how unhealthy you really are until you quit. I have people that work for me that smoke and when we do PT 3 times a week, it REALLY shows. For example, there was a bet made between two of my guys about an upcoming 5k run (3 miles). One can do it in 21 minutes. He is a non smoker. The other (smoker) said he can beat him. Non smoker even gave him 4 min. That would be 3, 8 minute miles, total time of 24 min for a smoker. This is someone that PTs 3 times a week. He did in in close to 25. While respectable, he was at the point of complete collapse. I am 10 years older than him, did it in 26 and some change and could talk to you like was at the dinner table. Smokers are not as healthy as they like to think they are.

YeLLowBoaT
10-30-2005, 04:56 PM
1- drugs are illegal and you know upon hiring that you are not allowed to use drugs
2 - tobacco is NOT illegal.
A no smoking policy is not wrong, at the work place. Just as no drinking at the work place is not wrong. But to demand that you quit smoking in your house, on vacation, etc. .... well, how would you feel about being told not have a beer at home if you enjoy drinking?
Drugs maybe illegal, but that does not mean that ppl do not use them. Some companys do not care if you use drugs or not. I know several companys that do what I do for a living--that get high on the job as a crew.
When it comes to drinking I have been on jobs that did not allow drinking at any time. 3 of them in fact 2 were away from home and 1 was at home.