PDA

View Full Version : Gas or no gas......

Ultracrazy
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I've been told (and read) that it is best to have the least amount of gas in your (boat) tank as possible before storing it for the winter (due to the octane break down). Some say leave it full.........so what gives......gas? or no gas?

Red Horse
10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
I heard keep it full to reduce area for condensation. Long winter/storage, might want to empty it??

Ultracrazy
10-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Heard the same thing......but I'm thinking if your using it every other weekend in the summer......that would be the thing to do. But during a long spell during the winter?? Not sure :confused:

SnakeWrench
10-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I tested the theory last winter for some of my customers. Here was the trick. Leave that tanks with 1/4 tank or less and use a full bottle of Merc fuel stabilizer. At the end of the winter, stand the nose of the boat up and suck out about 5 gallons of the remaining fuel through the fuel pickups on the tank. This will suck oout any of the moisture that has accumulated and will leave the fuel treatment. After that, fill the tanks, change the water sep filter and run it.
That keeps you from having 40 gallons of stale and unusable fuel and gets any of the moisture out of the system.

Not So Fast
10-30-2005, 04:25 PM
I tested the theory last winter for some of my customers. Here was the trick. Leave that tanks with 1/4 tank or less and use a full bottle of Merc fuel stabilizer. At the end of the winter, stand the nose of the boat up and suck out about 5 gallons of the remaining fuel through the fuel pickups on the tank. This will suck oout any of the moisture that has accumulated and will leave the fuel treatment. After that, fill the tanks, change the water sep filter and run it.
That keeps you from having 40 gallons of stale and unusable fuel and gets any of the moisture out of the system.
Oh what do you know Snake, you've never run one of those Cobras with more than a couple of gallons in em, thats why they are so fast in the tests :D :D NSF

Ultracrazy
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM
any more advise?

Just Tool'n
10-31-2005, 12:18 PM
according to John Graviskis on Ship Shape TV, he states to leave the tanks almost full, to reduce water condisation in the tanks.
Plus put fuel stabilizer in the tanks.
I trust most of what the G-man has to say, he has proablby worked on more boats than most of us out there.