PDA

View Full Version : Public Forums!

Boatcop
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Hot Boat Forums, like most on the internet, are public. Needing little more than a computer, internet access and maybe an email account in order to join. Then again, some can lurk and not even sign up.
As is demonstrated in another serious thread here, you have no idea who your "speaking" (typing) to, or who may be "listening" (reading).
And please leave that other subject where it is. That isn't the purpose of this thread.
There are some we've communicated with for several years that none of us have ever met. Then again there have been close personal friendships made here, and even some romantic relationships develop. But do we really know the other thousands of people who have a user name here?
I make these comments for one reason and one reason only. Our kids.
In purely innocent posts, we (collective "we") post pictures of our kids. On the Boat. In Halloween costumes. At kindergarten graduation. With the Dog Spike. Or just for no reason at all except that we got a cute picture of them. We post their names. Their ages. And in some cases their schools, through showing them in soccer or other sport uniforms.
Are you catching on yet? No? Well read on.
In various seemingly unrelated threads we show pictures of our houses, from being in the background of our pictures of our boats and/or trucks. We tell where we live, sometimes down to the neighborhood, if not the street. We sometimes put our phone numbers down for people to call to buy what we're selling or for someone to sell what we want to buy. We say when we're going out to dinner or a club. Going to the River for the weekend. Where we stay at the River. And a whole bunch of personal information that is available to anyone who has those things I mention in the first paragraph.
Predators who want to do harm to our children only have to read this forum for a few days to find out anything and everything about us and our kids. They glean one piece of info here, and another piece of info there, and pretty soon know more about you and your kids than you'd like them to know.
Unknowingly, a lot of us are letting the bad guys know everything about us and our kids, making it very easy for them to swoop in and victimize them. We can tell the little ones about strangers and boogie men and everything else, but a person who has as much info as can be gained here would have a very easy time convincing a young child that they actually are friends of the parents and not strangers. Children can be trusting that way.
All of our kids are cute. We're proud parents and like to brag about them and their accomplishments. But please be careful in what you put out for the whole world to see. You never know whats on the other side of that computer screen.
OK, Public Service message over. I now direct you back to your regularly scheduled crisis du jour.

Desert Rat
10-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Well said BC... We don't even put our sons name on his soccer bag for this very reason. Always thought the kids name on a licence plate on the back of the bike was very dumb!!!

Redneck
10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
very well said sometimes we forget this is a public forum

coolchange
10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Ya, I cringe every time I see those little family stick figure stickers on cars that say Dave- Linda - Kimmy- Jeffie- Spike. What are they thinkin? :confused:

blown428fe
10-31-2005, 07:53 PM
So True, Thank You.

Kilrtoy
10-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I have been telling people this for years now and no one seems to listen....

FHI-prez
10-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Agreed. There are some real sicko's out there, many of which I'm sure have the things you listed in the first paragraph. It's a sad commentary on the world we live in today, but unfortunately it's the truth. Computers in general make it much easier today to vicimize someone. I guess it also gives that certain sicko a much broader and less connected pool to select their next victim from. In times past a predator would have to "run" into a victim. Nowdays, he can plan a freekin trip around it! :( That said, any phucker readin this planning a trip to my house, don't bother with a return flight :D I've got a basement, a hammer and a pair of pliers with your name on it. :messedup:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Good post, Alan.

LHC Kirby
10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Very well said Alan.... and you being who you are (your Profession) I would hope that is not your actual boat in your signature. You folks do Great work... but idiots are out there.... re-read your post if needed. :hammer2:

Outnumbered
10-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Good points. Thanks for reminding us.

teamyamahamike
10-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Sad but true :angry2:

MagicMtnDan
10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
Boatcop's (Alan's) message goes far beyond this forum. Keep this message in mind in all your (and your kids') Internet activities!

Essexive G's
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Good post Alan, if that's even your real name. I guess just because your name is boat cop that we should not assume that you really are a boat cop. If we are to take your post to heart, I guess you could really be the nude guy that floats on a tube past big bend? :D

Cas
10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
think about when you post pictures of your boat and/or vehicles....I've always tried to smudge out the CF numbers and license plates.
Thanks for the reminder BC!

Jordy
10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Very well said Alan. In a less child like approach, I figure the 100,000 or so different internet IP hits that the forums see in a day also lay claim to those who are more concerned about your property. Early on, I had lots of personal info on here, enough in fact that one jackass registered my home address based upon the info on the boards. I've also had people call my home because of comments posted. It's for these reasons that I've gone out of my way to limit my info, not only personal info, but also attendance lists to various events. I figure if someone knows I'm going to be gone for the weekend, it gives them the upper hand at hitting my trailer for the 14" black and white TV with the aluminum foil bunny ears and I don't want to lose my prize possesion. ;)
Be careful what you lay out as you never know who's watching. :notam:

Dusty Times
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
You baller Jordy!
I know when you are at the lake and I'm gonna get myself a big 14" with some shiny bunny ears LOL
In all seriousness I have taken off some of my info that I used to have and I don't post pics of my kids anymore.

HCS
10-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Bring on the drama!
BoatCop. What happen? Did you retire?
Sheeesh. It's only ***boat. :squiggle: This ain't real.

Red Horse
11-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Good information BC
In the military we call it OPSEC and COMSEC. Operations Security and Communications Security.
In other words, watch what you put out there. Little bits here and there add up. Same with what you throw out. In 5 min of going thru your trash damn near everything can be found out if you are not careful. :cool:

Forkin' Crazy
11-01-2005, 02:02 AM
I have been telling people this for years now and no one seems to listen....
But who honestly listens to you anyway? :D
I always try to keep that in mind, but thanks for the reminder BC. :smile: