PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep him?

Keithb87
10-31-2005, 09:08 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1217smChopper_side_1-med.JPG
My Neighbor came home today with this dog and asked if we wanted him. Their dog was out running around while they were gone and when they came home this guy was with their dog.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1217smchopper_face-med.JPG
He looks to be under nourished and looks like he may have had a rib broken in the past.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1217smcopper_side_3-med.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1217smchopper_side_2-med.JPG
He is a little skittish when you use hand jesters, but is very mellow and seems good with the kids.
He looks like a Pure Pit Bull about 8 to 10 months old.
Julie and Rose both want to keep him and he's kinda growing on me too. :messedup:
(While typing this I realise now that he snores too. :notam: )
We will give him a bath tomorrow and see how it goes.
I don't know if I want to put up "FOUND DOG" signs in the neighborhood due to the looks of abuse.
Should I keep him? :confused:

teamyamahamike
10-31-2005, 09:15 PM
He Looks Like He Needs A Good Home :)

FREIND OF AA AND TA
10-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Her comes the Frenchie jokes

Windy
10-31-2005, 09:17 PM
[IMG]
Should I keep him? :confused:
How could you not...poor baby.
Windy

Keithb87
10-31-2005, 09:18 PM
Her comes the Frenchie jokes
I would not let FRENCHIE near this pooch. :skull:
He's been traumatized enough. :yuk:

Keithb87
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Don't know if he's out of the chewing stage yet either. That's all I need. come home and the boat is all chewed up and he's just happy as can be. Hope he likes Water too.

HocusPocus
10-31-2005, 09:45 PM
looks like he found a good home.. you got any plans on taking him to the vet for a checkup and current shots?

HCS
10-31-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't know man. No pets here. Had enough.
Let someone pic up their own shit.

Rexone
10-31-2005, 10:10 PM
You should keep him at least until you find him a good home if you decide you can't long term. :(

OGShocker
11-01-2005, 06:32 AM
Sickens me to see how people treat their animals. I however, have a huge problem with abused pit bulls. They are usually fighting dogs that did not make the cut. Having a dog like that around kids would worry me a lot. Have you thought of taking him to a Vet? Looks as if he's been torn up a bit.
The best of luck no matter what do decide.
Mark

Flashover
11-01-2005, 06:42 AM
He definatly needs a good home and some good food. But i would take him to the vet to see if he has any worms or things of that sort as well as to a dog trainer to have them test his temperment so you can be more sure of him around your kids.. :mix: :mix:

core attitude
11-01-2005, 08:19 AM
I however, have a huge problem with abused pit bulls. They are usually fighting dogs that did not make the cut. Having a dog like that around kids would worry me a lot.
The usual reason a "fighting" dog would not make the "cut" is because they are not game. A pit dog showing signs of human aggression would not be used for pit fighting in the first place. Many "fighting" dogs are not true "fighting" dogs but simply dogs that were abused so some punk could himself feel cool.
Human aggression and people aggression are two COMPLETETLY different traits! There are some very simple tests that will POSSSIBLY show signs of human aggression if it is there, protectiveness of food and toys being two of the main things to watch for.
If you are thinking of keeping him, a check up by a vet to whom you have voiced your concerns will not only give you a picture of potential health problems but an indication of temperament issues also. Just keep in mind, dog aggression is NOT improper temperament for the breed but human aggression is. If this dog does not show signs of either he can make a wonderful pet. On the other hand, if he does show signs of human aggression or being “rank” put him down.
FYI, if you have never owned a “Pit” breed before, there is a lot of good non bias info out there (much of it on the internet) that may help you with your decision.

chrissy
11-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Sickens me to see how people treat their animals. I however, have a huge problem with abused pit bulls. They are usually fighting dogs that did not make the cut. Having a dog like that around kids would worry me a lot. Have you thought of taking him to a Vet? Looks as if he's been torn up a bit.
The best of luck no matter what do decide.
Mark
OG is right about that. You need to get him to the vet and have him checked out. You just never know what human garbage has put him thru. Maybe he's just beat up from being a stray. If you decide to keep him and he hasn't been used for fighting, you will find out this breed makes a very loving pet.

SummitKarl
11-01-2005, 08:24 AM
YUP I would go with the TLC route, looks like he found who he was looking for and he went through a tough time to get to you :clover:
I know you understand the second chance thing very well Keith :D

core attitude
11-01-2005, 08:31 AM
If you decide to keep him and he hasn't been used for fighting, you will find out this breed makes a very loving pet.
Dogs that have been used for fighting can and will make "very loving" pets also. Many times more so then one that hasn't been fought because they have been proven to be non human aggressive.

72 Hondo
11-01-2005, 09:07 AM
You have´nt sent the pooch packin yet, so you will be keeping him :D
He kind of looks like a white charpie or however you spell it (wrinkle dog) just real skinny.

doesitfloat?
11-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I adopted a similar stray...a 1 year old Rottweiler who was emaciated and skittish. I nursed her back to health with medicine, love, and training. She was such a great, loyal, smart dog with one exception. Once in a great while (every 4-6 months or so) she would just lash out at someone without any provocation. She would just lightly snip (never breaking the skin) but she was scaring the crap out of people. The final straw was when she snapped at and bit my wife's stomach (who was 6 months pregnant).
You can give that dog all of the love you want but you'll never know what he/she's been through. If you have kids, forget it.
Story #2. Neighbor adopted a 3 year old lab a few months ago. Played great with their family and their 3 kids. Never showed any aggresion. My son was playing over there 2 weeks ago and, out of nowhere, the dog bit my sons ear and head. My wife saw the whole thing and Ryan wasn't even touching or talking to the dog.

Beer-30
11-01-2005, 09:20 AM
My guess is part Lab/Pit Bull. If he snores, he's a Lab. Should make a great dog, though. Strays are always appreciative that they aren't roaming the streets anymore.
Take him to the vet and tell them you took him in. They usually cut the bill in half for shots and stuff. That's what ours does.

topless
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
Poor baby, I'm such an animal lover. Take him to the vet because he looks like he might have mange. I bet he will be the most faithful buddy you ever had in a couple months. It seems when you find or rescue dogs, they are forever grateful. Good luck and lets go hunt down and kill the previous owners. :idea:

Debbolas
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Our friends had a pit bull they named baby, she was very sweet. We fed her several times while they were on vacation and I never saw any signs of aggression. So not all pit bulls are mean...I guess that's my point.....she was a sweetheart. :rollside:

BrendellaJet
11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I've rescued two pits. They are great dogs. One was beaten severely in her first year of life. Took a lot of work to get her to trust me, even 3 years later she is still cautious around me when Im walking behind her, and especially men she doesn't know. Doesn't like sudden movements, or loud noises(not a boat dog). If you decide to keep the dog, just be careful, and patient. Pits are a lot of fun to have around and are very loyal with excellent personalities once they feel comfortable around you. Mine are AWESOME with kids.
lots of good resources online. Dont by into the media BS about these dogs, simply not true. Blame the deed, not the breed.
Pit Bull Website (http://www.realpitbull.com/)

chrissy
11-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Dogs that have been used for fighting can and will make "very loving" pets also. Many times more so then one that hasn't been fought because they have been proven to be non human aggressive.
Yeah part of me agrees with you. I think each dog is different and should'nt automatically be destroyed if that's what someone tried to use then for. Usually if you have any aggression problems it's toward other dogs not humans. I hope everything works out for the best for everyone. I love my Pit to death. ;)

Benjhamina
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
It's sad but once a dog has been abused they can never be trusted. If it was a toy poodle or a wiener dog you might be ok but this dog has the ability to kill a child.
Feed the dog a good meal and then have it put down. Then find the ass that mistreated the dog, crap on his lawn and put him down.

jackpunx
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
The usual reason a "fighting" dog would not make the "cut" is because they are not game. A pit dog showing signs of human aggression would not be used for pit fighting in the first place. Many "fighting" dogs are not true "fighting" dogs but simply dogs that were abused so some punk could himself feel cool.
Human aggression and people aggression are two COMPLETETLY different traits! There are some very simple tests that will POSSSIBLY show signs of human aggression if it is there, protectiveness of food and toys being two of the main things to watch for.
If you are thinking of keeping him, a check up by a vet to whom you have voiced your concerns will not only give you a picture of potential health problems but an indication of temperament issues also. Just keep in mind, dog aggression is NOT improper temperament for the breed but human aggression is. If this dog does not show signs of either he can make a wonderful pet. On the other hand, if he does show signs of human aggression or being “rank” put him down.
FYI, if you have never owned a “Pit” breed before, there is a lot of good non bias info out there (much of it on the internet) that may help you with your decision.
Very good info here..
do a food test..
take his food away while he's eating.. if he bites or snaps or becomes aggressive..
you should think twice about having him around your kids..

Nord
11-01-2005, 02:51 PM
I know i'm going to get bashed for this, but he is a pit!!!
If you want to keep a 50/50 chance of a injury death or lawsuit.........keep him!!!
Don't take me wrong, I love dogs, even pit bulls, but it is the truth!

core attitude
11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
It's sad but once a dog has been abused they can never be trusted. If it was a toy poodle or a wiener dog you might be ok but this dog has the ability to kill a child.
Feed the dog a good meal and then have it put down. Then find the ass that mistreated the dog, crap on his lawn and put him down.
I completely disagree, dogs are quite intuitive and while most would agree they lack cognitive ability, I think most who have rescued an abused dog while speak highly of their perceived “second chance” and their willingness to embrace it. If the abuse was neglect, it should show, if it was physical, that should show also, but certainly does not mean the dog can not be trusted.
Another thing to keep in mind is maturity level, this breed is slow to mature......sometimes 3-4 years old. That is why early training and socialization works so well with the breed. Their learned behavior becomes instinctual and only serves to bolster their natural tendency towards humans which is to please. This breed loves to train and will reward a loyal (loving) owner with years and years of loyal companionship.

Caribbean Jet
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
If you have kids I agree with Benjhamina. It would be hard to trust a dog that has been abused. I'm a pet lover and have adoted abused pets but nothing that can bite that much. My little black dog was abused and she has a hard time trusting men. I know it sounds strange but it's true.

BrendellaJet
11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
Just an FYI to the mis-informed, poodles,weiner dogs and even labs are genetically more inclined to violence than a pit. Dont beleive it? Do some research. Pitts are far more tolerant than other dogs. Do not confuse this with a dogs ability to cause harm-two different things.
The pits on the news are dogs that have been abused beyond repair and should be put down for their sake. These dogs are strong and are capable of doing a lot of damage, be respectful of that.
DO NOT give this dog a bowl of food and try to take it away. Let him become comfortable in its new surrounding and work on gaining its trust if you really want to keep it. Work on obedience and letting the dog know who the boss is. Stay near it while it is eating and make sure it knows you are nearby. Try petting the dog on the back away from his head before you put the food down and continue to do sow while you serve him food and test his reactions while eating. Work your way up to petting his neck while eating, but go slow. Feed him treats making him come to you and gently taking it out of your hand. My dog used to nearly take my hand off when feeding her treats. now she slowly approaches and gently bites it and takes it away from me. If this dog was beat as bad as it looks, you have a lot of work to do, but the rewards are worth it. If you are not willing to rehabilitate the dog then you should find another home for it.

core attitude
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
If you want to keep a 50/50 chance of a injury death or lawsuit.........keep him!!!
All the more reason to keep him and work with him, IF he is suitable. Responsible ownership of all bully breeds is they only thing that will somewhat stem the negative coninotation they have. While irresponsible ownership and media only serves to perpetuate the reputation they have received.
As an example pits and Rotts are and have been the top two breeds indicated in canine homicide for some time. Yet neither breed is in the running for most likely to bite. To me thats like outlawing shotguns because they do more damage then a hand gun even though most gun shots are from hand guns. Dog bite statistics have been skewed for years in other ways also, example, I know of a shelter where the policy is to label mixed breeds that include part pit as “Pit/Mix” even if the dominant lineage is that other then the pit, and identifiable!
I'm the first to say put down a rank dog, but it shouldn't be a substitute for responsible dog ownership and TLC if it is warranted.

chrissy
11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
There are many websites on Pit bulls on the net. The ones I found the most helpful are: www.understand-a-bull.com and www.pbrc.net. there are alots lots of other links on these sites. I also picked up some good info at Petsmart. Just look for the Bully Breed magazine.

Totally IncapASSitated
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Lots of good advice here...and this dog's first stop should definitely be to the vet to get checked out.
Let me know if you decide to keep him (or her?...gotta be PC). I work for Purina and will sponsor some food for the pooch.

Keithb87
11-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Gonna set up a Vet apt this week. :squiggle: Chopper spent the day in the house all by himself today. I had two child gates up to keep him confined to the kitchen so any mess would be easy to clean up. :idea:
Well he somehow knocked down the lower gate and had free roam of the house. :(
When I got home he was in my daughters room just chillin on the bed. I fully epected to have the house TRASHED. Other than the blinds on the front window, all was ok. I had some poo to clean up but he did not thrash the house.
This evening while handing out candy to the local ghouls and goblins, I had Chopper with me on a leash. All of the neighborhood kidscame up and petted him and ooooo'd and ahhhh'd over him and he was fine with it.
So I will take him to the vet this week, get his shots and see what they say.
I guess he's staying here. :notam: :squiggle: :D

Keithb87
11-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Lots of good advice here...and this dog's first stop should definitely be to the vet to get checked out.
Let me know if you decide to keep him (or her?...gotta be PC). I work for Purina and will sponsor some food for the pooch.
Thanks for the offer. We will see what the Vet has to say about him.

Keithb87
11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
YUP I would go with the TLC route, looks like he found who he was looking for and he went through a tough time to get to you :clover:
I know you understand the second chance thing very well Keith :D
Boy do I ever. :D A little TLC goes along way. :)

SummitKarl
11-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Gonna set up a Vet apt this week. :squiggle: Chopper spent the day in the house all by himself today. I had two child gates up to keep him confined to the kitchen so any mess would be easy to clean up. :idea:
Well he somehow knocked down the lower gate and had free roam of the house. :(
When I got home he was in my daughters room just chillin on the bed. I fully epected to have the house TRASHED. Other than the blinds on the front window, all was ok. I had some poo to clean up but he did not thrash the house.
This evening while handing out candy to the local ghouls and goblins, I had Chopper with me on a leash. All of the neighborhood kidscame up and petted him and ooooo'd and ahhhh'd over him and he was fine with it.
So I will take him to the vet this week, get his shots and see what they say.
I guess he's staying here. :notam: :squiggle: :D
Keith I am glad your keeping him, but be Warned if you own a house in AZ. it will Affect your home owners Ins. Pit's, Rot's and Akita's are high on hit list for these companies to inflate your rates.

Keithb87
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Keith I am glad your keeping him, but be Warned if you own a house in AZ. it will Affect your home owners Ins. Pit's, Rot's and Akita's are high on hit list for these companies to inflate your rates.
That is true. I remember them asking that question when I bought the house. :idea:
But if I tell them it is an American Bull Terrier it should be ok. Right? ;)

Konabud
11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
We picked up a stray Pit about 10 years ago.He showed up with a car tow chain shackled around his neck (we didn't bother to look for the owners). He was my sons dog all those years and we ended up with him when my son moved out. He's still the best dog we've ever had. No two dogs (or humans) are the same, give him a chance! (We tell everyone he's a boxer mix)

chrissy
11-01-2005, 10:53 PM
That is true. I remember them asking that question when I bought the house. :idea:
Hard to say about that. Pit bull type breeds(bully breeds) are from a branch of Bulldog type breeds resulting from the 18th-century crosses between bull-dogs and terriers. This includes the American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier,Bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American bull dog and Miniature bull terrier. How picky do you think your insurance agent is??

Totally IncapASSitated
11-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Funny...I remember that question too...for me it was a pit bull or trampoline

Totally IncapASSitated
11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the offer. We will see what the Vet has to say about him.
Sounds good...the offer stands so let me know. Looks like you have a great dog there, just needed some love and friendship from a good family!!! :D

Sherpa
11-02-2005, 07:07 AM
there is absolutely no way you can ever predict if/when that dog might snap.
and I mean not just biting somebody. but alot worse....... and you have kids.
soooooooo, go with that for what it's worth...........
--I'd really hate to read a story on here about that dog.. and your kids...
--Sherpa

topless
11-02-2005, 07:34 AM
NO NO NO American Staffordshire Terrier. A Bull Terrier is a Spuds Mckenzie dog.

Keithb87
11-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Funny...I remember that question too...for me it was a pit bull or trampoline
They actully asked about pit bull or trampoline pool or hot tub. :rolleyes: At the time I answered no to all. now I have a Dog, and a Hot tub

Keithb87
11-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Chopper is going to the Vet on Friday. Shots and checked out for worms and all the good stuff. So far so good. He's got a wonderful dispostion. (We'll see how he likes me after the Vet on Friday.) :messedup:

SummitKarl
11-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Chopper is going to the Vet on Friday. Shots and checked out for worms and all the good stuff. So far so good. He's got a wonderful dispostion. (We'll see how he likes me after the Vet on Friday. :messedup:
Yea Keith...way to go...
Don't think for a second Chopper doen't know you saved him, They know!!!, I am sure he will return your gift to him thousands of times over :)

Mohave Vice
11-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Way to go Bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

WUTWZAT
11-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I think your wrong in thinking this in general about pitbulls, its the smaller dogs that are more likely to lash out and attack. Kind of a don't step on me attitude, but if this dog has been abused he then has the potential to turn on someone even if they are trying to render him aid. I say take it one step at a time and see if he shows any signs of aggression and try and nurse him back to health. Even if the dog is aggresive later he may do well with a single person who can be his Alpha and live with him without any threats to others, no need to put him down. Just my .02.
Jason

Keithb87
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
We have to let Chopper go. :cry: There seems to be a personality conflict between him and my 5 year old daughter. :argue: :boxingguy
He nipped at her on Wednesday and then again today. :2purples: :( :2purples:
So we have decided to let our neighbor (has older kids) take him.
He will still be going to a good home and we will be able to rest easier knowing that he won't eat one of our kids. Plus we will be able to keep an eye on him.
We wil be looking for a puppy after the Holidays

H2OT TIMES
11-12-2005, 12:08 AM
If he's a biter I'd want him a whole lot further away from my kid than that.

rivergoer
11-12-2005, 12:16 AM
yeah you should keep him/her...if you take it to the vet most likely it will be put down...which is bull sh it...just because some other schmuck shouldnt own an animal...give it some love and it will be all good..anyway look at it its soo cute and looks like it will be a bad a$$ dog!!!

gqchris
11-12-2005, 02:31 AM
I adopted my Mastiff a year ago. I arrived at the shelter the last day he was about to be put down. Everyone that walked by his cage was like, "OH he looks mean" or "Oh way too big for us!!". Anyways, his history is that he was abused by some punk ass kids his whole life and spent much of it roaming the streets.
Here is his pic when I rescued him at 99 lbs:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/gqchris/chico.jpg
This is him now at 143 lbs:)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/gqchris/guinessbiz.jpg
He is the most mellow dog I know. Pretty much a couch potato, he takes after Dad! I dotn regret taking him in at all.

repo man
11-12-2005, 02:52 AM
we all watch animal planet's animal cops. have any of you seen a pit fail the temperment test? me either. the pits allways tend to get adopted out, isn't that weird? :eek:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/07/10/earlyshow/contributors/debbyeturner/main514774.shtml

Rexone
11-12-2005, 03:30 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/gqchris/guinessbiz.jpg
Mr. Cool. :)

Sherpa
11-13-2005, 10:12 AM
there is absolutely no way you can ever predict if/when that dog might snap.
and I mean not just biting somebody. but alot worse....... and you have kids.
soooooooo, go with that for what it's worth...........
--I'd really hate to read a story on here about that dog.. and your kids...
--Sherpa
and if/when the dog attacks one of the neighbor kids, who do you think
they will go after..........
--Sherpa

topless
11-13-2005, 10:27 AM
and if/when the dog attacks one of the neighbor kids, who do you think
they will go after..........
--Sherpa
So you would rather put a dog down because he just MIGHT bite someone one day? How about we put people down because they might get in a bar fight one day? Your mentality sux. You can tell if a dog has an aggessive nature. I actually have one who tries to bite anyone who he thinks is trying to hurt me. It is rather funny because he is small and actually a big chicken shit and if you put your hand in his mouth when he thinks he's all bad ass, he just looks at you and walks away.

Sherpa
11-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Hey queen of evil, what hair is up your ass this morning?
my mentaility sucks-?? self-check yourself, soon, please. the guy said
"we have to get rid of the dog, he snapped at my daughter"........
did you read that part-? so yeah, the dog is aggressive.... proven.
so, you make a comparison to putting down people-vs-dogs that might*
cause a fight down the road-?........ good comparison..... how exactly
was college for you BTW? You seem to forget about these stupid pits,
it isn't the fact they bite people, and pets, most already know that other
inbred shits like cockers, some retrievers, labs, etc bite more... the
problem with pits, (UNKNOWN DISPOSITIONED ONES) are the facts that
they KILL PEOPLE................ kids are easy bait.......... sheesh..........
you want a bitch fest, go someplace else.. I was concerned for the dudes,
children............ you obviously care more about the dog. given a choice
between a man's child, or a dog, the dog should be second. with you it's not.
--Sherpa

2Driver
11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Didn't read all the posts but if you have kids you are crazy to keep that. If you don't have kids and keep it I would consider a $2 million umbrella.