PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

phebus
11-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Man, they sure are advertising this movie. Looks intense, can't wait to see it.

MAINEVENT
11-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Man, they sure are advertising this movie. Looks intense, can't wait to see it.
Huraaaaah!!!! :D ;)

phebus
11-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Huraaaaah!!!! :D ;)
Love that clip. I'm sure I'll get sick of that saying as soon as everyone starts saying it though.

moneypit
11-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Bought the book this weekend. It does look good.

NOTALENT
11-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Definatley look's like it's going to be good. I like the soundtrack that they play on the preview's as well...it made in sound pretty intense..

LAFD
11-01-2005, 09:18 AM
my uncle worked on this movie they shot a bunch of scenes in glamis.

MagicMtnDan
11-01-2005, 09:50 AM
So my question is, is this great-looking Desert Storm movie really made by anti-war movie makers looking to spread their message? I don't want to patronize a movie that looks pro-US military, patriotic only to find out that the "avoid-war-at-any-cost" Hollywood far left liberals made this movie to spread their anti-US sentiment.
Anyone know the the real story on this flick?

MagicMtnDan
11-01-2005, 09:52 AM
OK, here's the IMDB (www.imdb.com ) plot sumary - sounds good!
Plot Summary for Jarhead (2005)
Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.

MagicMtnDan
11-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Uh-oh...more from IMDB
1 out of 2 people found the following comment useful:-
Semper Fi!, 29 October 2005
Author: muskrat-4 from Los Angeles, CA
There was a Q&A with Swofford after the screening I saw, as well. This audience was largely middle-aged, affluent, and from Los Angeles. Several seemed rather disappointed that the film wasn't more openly anti-war than it is; though politically a liberal, I was impressed by the effort to not take that obvious a stand and (for once) let the audience do its own thinking.
While the action takes place in a relatively restricted time, place and era, I'm willing to bet that soldiers from any war -- Peloponnesian, Hundred Years or Civil -- could identify with the characters and situations. For that reason, I particularly commend it to people who have friends or relatives in the service.
One mild warning: as in real life, the language and situations occasionally get a bit salty.
---------------------
Here are some readers' reviews of the book (from Amazon.com ):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CAR5Y/qid=1130781157/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-4266569-2137657?v=glance&s=books
I think I'll wait to see this until after I hear from others who have seen it.

OGShocker
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Looks like it has that "Boys from Company C" feel to it. I can't wait!

slink
11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
So my question is, is this great-looking Desert Storm movie really made by anti-war movie makers looking to spread their message? I don't want to patronize a movie that looks pro-US military, patriotic only to find out that the "avoid-war-at-any-cost" Hollywood far left liberals made this movie to spread their anti-US sentiment.
Anyone know the the real story on this flick?
Dan, I'm glad you posted this first, I wanted to but didn't want to get flamed for being political. I can't believe the "anti-war" democrats that run Hollywood would put out a movie like this during the current political climate. I guess the all mighty $$$$ far outweighs thier personal morales. BTW, next time post some hottie in military gear to go along with it.....Thanks

MagicMtnDan
11-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Dan, I'm glad you posted this first, I wanted to but didn't want to get flamed for being political. I can't believe the "anti-war" democrats that run Hollywood would put out a movie like this during the current political climate. I guess the all mighty $$$$ far outweighs thier personal morales. BTW, next time post some hottie in military gear to go along with it.....Thanks
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that Jarhead is an anti-war movie or it's an anti-war movie cloaked in "Hoorah!" but I am ASKING if that's the case. It smells to me like it might be so I'm waiting to hear what those who have seen it think.

Kilrtoy
11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
If MMD is correct, Then I will not see this movie.....

you gots 2 chill
11-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I look forward to seeeing this movie. I was in the Marine Corps reserve for 6 yrs, and I was on active duty when Desert Shield started. It was a very difficult time, more so for my family than for me. Ultimately all but myself and 39 other Marines in my unit were deployed. I later found out that because I have the sickle cell trait I cannot be given the proper innoculations to be deployed over seas.
I don't belive we should be in Iraq, especially since the troops there have not been put in the best possible position to win.

SMFRiverRat
11-01-2005, 10:15 AM
If you want to read a book on Marine Snipers, read Shooter By SGT. Jack Coughlin. It gives a real insight into the minds of these fighters. My father was a Marine sniper in WW II and it sure explaind alot.