PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Rules/Info on running in the ocean - So Cal area

mondorally
11-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Went out for my first ocean run yesterday. Launched in Huntington Beach (end of Edinger). Anyways - I'm looking for general info / rules / tips / anything that would help a newbie keep from getting in trouble.
Examples:
-Is there a speed limit inside the Long Beach Breakwater? I've heard that on the coast side of the oil islands its limited but have no idea where to look for accurate info.
-Can you cruise through the port of LB / port of LA? How close can you get to ships before the coast guard / harbor patrol gets nervous? Not that I plan on getting close - I just don't want any LE to think I'm doing a USS Cole interpretation when I'm just trying to find the Yard House.
Again, any other tips/rules/info would be much appreciated. The ocean is definately different - but looks like it will be a blast. And a 10 minute tow can't be beat!
Thanks
Justin

beyondhelpin
11-01-2005, 03:44 PM
It has been 5 or 6 years since I used to run my Scarab outside of San Diego a couple times a week. Here are a few tips.
1. Get a VHF radio. Forget about the cell. Cant stress enough!
2. Get Sea Tow or something similar. Very expensive to be towed in without.
3. Keep basic tools and a length of wire to power radio in event of eletrical problem.
4. Wash down trailler and boat very good. Flush motor asap.
5. Have fun.The ocean is a serious blast. Sometimes like a big roller coaster. Sometime nutsyinching. Sometimes flat. But no matter what it is a blast.

Havasu Hangin'
11-01-2005, 03:52 PM
There's a 5MPH zone inside the LBC breakwater- look for the buoy line around the Queen Mary.
Other than that, tee it high and let it fly.

Boatcop
11-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Can you cruise through the port of LB / port of LA? How close can you get to ships before the coast guard / harbor patrol gets nervous? Not that I plan on getting close - I just don't want any LE to think I'm doing a USS Cole interpretation when I'm just trying to find the Yard House.
I believe there's a 500 yard (1/4 nautical mile) security zone around any ships in port. Just stay well away from them, or be prepared to meet the Coast Guard's finest. They WILL board your boat and search it from stem to stern.
Make sure you have a VHF radio and keep it on channel 16 and 13. IF you're getting too close, they will hail you on one of those.
Oh! And stay away from the big ships if they're steaming into or out of port. They will ALWAYS have right away, due to their draft. If you don't know the Navigation Rules, learn them before going out. Trial and error doesn't work very good on that subject.

Riverkid
11-01-2005, 06:06 PM
We made a bunch of training runs back and forth to the island prior to this years Catalina Ski Race. We met these guys a bunch of times when we came back into the harbor at LB. ANY rig coming through the Queens Gate at high speed will get to meet these guys, 'cause they will come on station right between you and the cruise ship.
Very professional, cool crews, but that '60 looks mean for sure...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2880Catalina05_036_Large_.jpg

Sleek-Jet
11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I believe there's a 500 yard (1/4 nautical mile) security zone around any ships in port. Just stay well away from them, or be prepared to meet the Coast Guard's finest. They WILL board your boat and search it from stem to stern.
Make sure you have a VHF radio and keep it on channel 16 and 13. IF you're getting too close, they will hail you on one of those.
Oh! And stay away from the big ships if they're steaming into or out of port. They will ALWAYS have right away, due to their draft. If you don't know the Navigation Rules, learn them before going out. Trial and error doesn't work very good on that subject.
I was going to say approach till they start shooting, then back off a hundred yards or so... but I think Boatcop's methods will work better. :D

Jordy
11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey, we got to see those guys at the ski race as well. :idea: :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23Crash_144-med.jpg

phebus
11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey, we got to see those guys at the ski race as well. :idea: :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23Crash_144-med.jpg
Part of the "Outboard Brotherhood" :D

Riverkid
11-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Outboards Suck :D :D :D
Saw a rig that looked JUST LIKE Jordy's out there, too...
Coming back next year???

phebus
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I would also file a log, or let someone know exactly where I was going, and when I could be expected back.
Get a GPS, and back it up with a good compass, the fog sometimes comes in really fast.
Make sure you meet all Coast Guard requirements, they are different than inland waterways (ie. distress signals).

Jordy
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Part of the "Outboard Brotherhood" :D
Actually the REALLY cool boats were the DHS boats down in San Diego. 36' center consoles with 4 Verrados hanging off the back. They were checking out the little 30' with the 300's and I was checking out the monster they were cruising around in. About that time my boat bitch came out with a couple cases of beer and all kinds of ice... They just laughed. :D
I don't know what's on the schedule for next year 4th of July and Catalina Ski Race time. Maybe LOTO. Too early to call it though. :D

mondorally
11-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. Much appreciated.
Justin