PDA

View Full Version : Engine inspection

Never Too Old
11-04-2005, 01:43 PM
If any of you were buying a used boat with an 800 - 900 hp engine that was built by a top name custom engine builder - would you take it to that builder for inspection or would you take it to a different engine builder to get it checked out?
Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated.

Roxysnow
11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
You'd think the builder would know best if there accessible (location)! :D

OGShocker
11-04-2005, 01:49 PM
If any of you were buying a used boat with an 800 - 900 hp engine that was built by a top name custom engine builder - would you take it to that builder for inspection or would you take it to a different engine builder to get it checked out?
Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated.
I guess there are two schools of thought here. Take it to the builder that knows the engine or take it to a builder you know and trust.
Me? I would take it to B & D Marine.
Good luck, NTO!

YeLLowBoaT
11-04-2005, 01:55 PM
That all depends on what your aloud to do by the owner. There are not alot of ppl out there that will let you pull a head or pan to check it out. Really if they won't you do any thing "major" then any good mechanic can do all of the checks to see what shape the motor is in. If they won;t let you take it to some 1 of your chosing--WALK AWAY. seen way to many ppl burned.

H20 Toie
11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
If it's a well known builder than take it to them if not then find one or else just take your chances and then you know it will blow up within the first hour.

Jbb
11-04-2005, 03:21 PM
I would take it to Paul Pfaff...........

riverbound
11-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I would take it to Paul Pfaff...........
I heard Photoglou would do that too... :wink:
****edit.....for those of you who did not see the winking smiley...this was a joke, due to another thread that is currently going on at this time.

superdave013
11-04-2005, 03:26 PM
the only way to inspect anything like that is to totaly take it apart and mag check things for cracks and measure things for wear.
I mean, you can do a compression check and or leak down check but that won't tell you if something MAJOR is about to fail.
just my 0.02

H20 Toie
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
and check the timing :hammer2:

Never Too Old
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are:
If I take it to the builder (highly regarded guy) he might...
- point out every little thing, even if they make him look bad, or
-notice some things but not tell me because they would make him look bad, or
-show me signs of owner abuse, or
-say to himself "glad nobody noticed this while it was under warranty".
But he built it, who would know it better.
Or take it to a top guy that didn't build it. He could have the position that...
- man , I have to find some things wrong with this engine to show up the builder and make myself look good, or...
- only point out the really bad stuff because he doesn't want problems with the builder.
I guess I could always take it to the builder first and then take it to a different guy for a second opinion. Since the health of my wallet is at stake, I could treat it like a medical issue.
Thanks for your thoughts.

H20 Toie
11-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. My thoughts are:
If I take it to the builder (highly regarded guy) he might...
- point out every little thing, even if they make him look bad, or
-notice some things but not tell me because they would make him look bad, or
-show me signs of owner abuse, or
-say to himself "glad nobody noticed this while it was under warranty".
But he built it, who would know it better.
Or take it to a top guy that didn't build it. He could have the position that...
- man , I have to find some things wrong with this engine to show up the builder and make myself look good, or...
- only point out the really bad stuff because he doesn't want problems with the builder.
I guess I could always take it to the builder first and then take it to a different guy for a second opinion. Since the health of my wallet is at stake, I could treat it like a medical issue.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Now thats thinking.

Never Too Old
11-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Superdave 013...good point. Besides those tests, I was hoping that a highly trained ear could pick up on something not sounding right.
Also, with EFI, the ECU can show history, right?
Thanks

superdave013
11-04-2005, 03:48 PM
what if it's been over reved a few times. Might have some rod bolts that are streched or a crack in the piston by the wrist pin. No way ANYONE will find something like that with out taking it apart.
So you pay someone to check it out (with out a tear down). The compression looks good, valve lash is fine, timing is set just right and it even passes the leak down test. But then blows up with in the week because the crack or what ever was not found. Now what? Is it the builders fault, the dude who inspected it's fault? Maybe the dude who sold it (in good faith) fault? See where I'm going?
Pretty much used race (800 - 900 hp) engines are buyer beware. No real way to tell. I say get the price in line with having someone tear it down for mag check, rings and bearings (might as well do valve springs too). If anything else is wrong it will be found at that time.

superdave013
11-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Superdave 013...good point. Besides those tests, I was hoping that a highly trained ear could pick up on something not sounding right.
Also, with EFI, the ECU can show history, right?
Thanks
well all I can say is read that Pfaff thread. Gorden worked on a pair of used engines and look what happened.
I could not think of any one person that would have more of a highly trained ear then him. I'm not picking sides on that deal. Just sayin shit happens in the high horsepower game that's really no one's fault but the owner is holding the bag (of broken parts)
I'm not saying to not buy it. Just saying to keep in mind that you are buying a USED race engine is all.

H20 Toie
11-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Also remember even a brand new motor no matter who put it together can fail, ever watch Nascar?

Never Too Old
11-04-2005, 04:10 PM
You guys are hitting the ol' nail right on the head.
By mentioning Photoglou's situation ( I've been reading that thread) you made me realize that I need to insist on being there for the inspection. If I remember, it was a "mechanic" that did the work on Photoglou's boat. I need to be there to be sure that the main man is doing the inspecting. Thanks for that.
Realistically, I'd like to get the best picture without the teardown. And not do the teardown right after buying the boat. No doubt your suggestion is the wisest thing to do. But I'm not going to race the boat (OK, maybe a little impromtu racing) but not push it really, really hard. (famous last words).
Thanks, you folks are helping a lot.

Havasu Hangin'
11-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Two things I would look at:
1. Leakdown test
2. Oil analysis
Leakdown will tell you how good the slugs are sealed, and the oil analysis should find any gas/bearing material.
I'd say the rest is a crap shoot.

scarabrick2
11-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Two things I would look at:
1. Leakdown test
2. Oil analysis
Leakdown will tell you how good the slugs are sealed, and the oil analysis should find any gas/bearing material.
I'd say the rest is a crap shoot.
I agree !!! Also, make sure he just didn't change the oil. If he did then take the boat out for a good test drive then have the oil checked.