PDA

View Full Version : Dry Wash n Guard

SummitKarl
11-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I just used Magic34's product on my Falcon, WOW!!!! what a shine, it did everything just as claimed, even the bugs just wipe right off.
Mike you got a great product, and just got yourself a customer for life ;)

Jbb
11-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Been using it for years .....It works as advertised...just dont let it come into contact with water or get on any flat black trim...

Havasu_Dreamin
11-05-2005, 11:22 AM
just dont let it come into contact with water or get on any flat black trim...
Uh, why?

Powerquestboy
11-05-2005, 11:28 AM
That stuff scares me as I have grown up with ideals that washing your is done with a very easy soaking of water to float dirt off prior to wash so as to not create swirl marks. I never use a hose nozzle, always very clean bucket and wash mit. I've heard good things about this stuff but I just feel like I'm grinding all the dirt into the paint.

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:01 PM
That stuff scares me as I have grown up with ideals that washing your is done with a very easy soaking of water to float dirt off prior to wash so as to not create swirl marks. I never use a hose nozzle, always very clean bucket and wash mit. I've heard good things about this stuff but I just feel like I'm grinding all the dirt into the paint.
do want to get the grit off if the cars a dark color,but basic dust and dirt is ok.Magic34 will tell ya more,I think he is in havasu though.Ive used it,I was thinking the same thing,leaves great finish

Hustler
11-05-2005, 12:05 PM
I got mine the other day and was going to use it on the Harley saturday. any tips you guys can me on using it. my bike is all black so I'm a little worried about leaving fine scratches.

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:09 PM
I got mine the other day and was going to use it on the Harley saturday. any tips you guys can me on using it. my bike is all black so I'm a little worried about leaving fine scratches.
it goes on light,no need for a thick coat.Just wipe it on,do the whole bike,then wipe it off.Be in the shade.I use microfiber towels from costco.Also have a beer,that makes everything more fun :D

ChumpChange
11-05-2005, 12:16 PM
just dont let it come into contact with water or get on any flat black trim...
Please inform. As far as I can remember, when I used to use this stuff way back, I'd take it off with a damp towel for a better shine. Am I wrong in this?

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Please inform. As far as I can remember, when I used to use this stuff way back, I'd take it off with a damp towel for a better shine. Am I wrong in this?
the stuff doesnt mix well with water,Id say after you dry wipe everything off it would be ok to use damp cloth.There a wax called ZYMOL that uses a damp cloth for wiping,works great

Hustler
11-05-2005, 12:30 PM
it goes on light,no need for a thick coat.Just wipe it on,do the whole bike,then wipe it off.Be in the shade.I use microfiber towels from costco.Also have a beer,that makes everything more fun :D
There is always beer involved. It's part of my tool box :D

Jbb
11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Ok here's the deal.....Magic 34 can correct me if I am innacurate...but
I have used this since about 1989 or so...at that time I owned a body shop...also at that time the EPA was causing fits with paint manufacturers about the pollutants being put in the air from their products...in the form of VOCS....PPG was experimenting at the time with their paint and hardeners to try and lower their limits....they never told the end users,however...and the result was a softer cured paint ....and me having fits trying to buff out my paint work...and being unable to get rid of the swirls.....
Enter Dri Wash and Guard...A friend told me to try it and that it might work with the swirls ...I tried it and it worked ...I became a dealer for it and made everyone who I painted a car for buy it....because it let fresh paint breathe for a while ...which wax would inhibit....causing hazing.....
I live in in area that never lacks for rain....so trying to sell people on the saving water aspects of it was pretty pointless...I am not exactly a salesman also.....but I sold lots of it ....Paint manufacturers have since made their paints useable again so most any glaze will now take away any swirls left from buffing....
I questioned the company on some of their claims at a meeting ....they claimed one application would bead water for a year.....so I painted a hood and sat it outside my shop with the product on it ....and it lasted about 3 months in my experiment......I mentioned this and they didnt exactly like me bringing it up.....also at the time they were wanting their dealers to push their body wash for people...pet wash for dogs ect ect.....I was only interested in the automotive aspect of it ....and I didnt fit in...
Bottom line is
The product works ....It will not build up and haze like wax will.....It does a good job of protecting the finish.....it will not bother future paint repairs...You can indeed spray it on a dirty surface ...and It will float the dirt particles up and wipe off without scratching the paint....and I have used it on a bunch of show cars I did...Now common sense must apply here....If you are out mud boggin with your truck and gritty mud is on the surface.....wash the truck first.... :supp:
The downsides were.....If it comes into contact with any water it will streak...including if you sweat on the surface....as I do.....Its a tad humid here on occasion... :D
And I also found if the sprinkles from spray come into contact with any flat black trim...and are allowed to dry...they will not come off and you will need to repaint the trim....
I just used my new formula bottle I got from Magic and It does exactly as stated ...and comes off even easier than the old stuff .....but I do miss the scent the old stuff had....

SummitKarl
11-05-2005, 01:38 PM
well with the first application to my car the swril marks from the buffer have almost dissappeared

Powerquestboy
11-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Well I guess I will have to try it on some of my newer cars (the ones I dont care about) Its going to take some serious convencing before I put it on my 72 Chevy! Too much time invested in Body work and paint. Where can you get it? I've got a Balck Jetta I'm getting rid of that will be my ginney pig.

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Well I guess I will have to try it on some of my newer cars (the ones I dont care about) Its going to take some serious convencing before I put it on my 72 Chevy! Too much time invested in Body work and paint. Where can you get it? I've got a Balck Jetta I'm getting rid of that will be my ginney pig.
he will hook ya up,tell him I sent ya!

DansBlown73Nordic
11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I have tried it on BLACK a few times.....Was very unhappy. Lots ot streaks........... :cry:

riverroyal
11-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I have tried it on BLACK a few times.....Was very unhappy. Lots ot streaks........... :cry:
like streaks or swirls?

DansBlown73Nordic
11-05-2005, 03:02 PM
It left kinda a funny streak in the paint. If you scrub it with soap it will come off.... :hammer2: I thought it kinda defeated the hole purpose of it. lol

SummitKarl
11-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I just tried on the truck in my sig line (dark purple) SWEET!!! it's really brings out the pearl in the paint.
just for fun I tried on my porclin sink.......bingo!!!!

DansBlown73Nordic
11-05-2005, 03:58 PM
I just bought a new to me Black truck tonight. I will try it again this weekend.
Yes the paint was dry.. :)

steelcomp
11-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Sdgqsdv

Ultrafied
11-06-2005, 10:01 AM
This stuff is G R E A T. Used it on our black Vette. Water spots and slight road grime, hadn't been washed in 2 weeks. What a difference. Water spots are gone, clean and shiny plus .... real easy to use. I will be using this stuff from now on for the boat and the cars!
Thanks JBB for the tips, especially about "sweating". Hell, I sweat just sitting and watching somebody walk down the street. Also about the flat black. A lot of it on the Vette under the hood and around the lights.
I'm a dumb shit and this was by far the best I have ever used before.

Jbb
11-06-2005, 12:53 PM
I have never seen it streak... unless it came into contact with water...It also separates easily and must be shaken well before and during use.

Woodster
11-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I just used this stuff on my Black dunebuggy and it works great..Thanks for the hookup Magic34

Magic34
11-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Ok here's the deal.....Magic 34 can correct me if I am innacurate...but
I have used this since about 1989 or so...at that time I owned a body shop...also at that time the EPA was causing fits with paint manufacturers about the pollutants being put in the air from their products...in the form of VOCS....PPG was experimenting at the time with their paint and hardeners to try and lower their limits....they never told the end users,however...and the result was a softer cured paint ....and me having fits trying to buff out my paint work...and being unable to get rid of the swirls.....
Enter Dri Wash and Guard...A friend told me to try it and that it might work with the swirls ...I tried it and it worked ...I became a dealer for it and made everyone who I painted a car for buy it....because it let fresh paint breathe for a while ...which wax would inhibit....causing hazing.....
I live in in area that never lacks for rain....so trying to sell people on the saving water aspects of it was pretty pointless...I am not exactly a salesman also.....but I sold lots of it ....Paint manufacturers have since made their paints useable again so most any glaze will now take away any swirls left from buffing....
I questioned the company on some of their claims at a meeting ....they claimed one application would bead water for a year.....so I painted a hood and sat it outside my shop with the product on it ....and it lasted about 3 months in my experiment......I mentioned this and they didnt exactly like me bringing it up.....also at the time they were wanting their dealers to push their body wash for people...pet wash for dogs ect ect.....I was only interested in the automotive aspect of it ....and I didnt fit in...
Bottom line is
The product works ....It will not build up and haze like wax will.....It does a good job of protecting the finish.....it will not bother future paint repairs...You can indeed spray it on a dirty surface ...and It will float the dirt particles up and wipe off without scratching the paint....and I have used it on a bunch of show cars I did...Now common sense must apply here....If you are out mud boggin with your truck and gritty mud is on the surface.....wash the truck first.... :supp:
The downsides were.....If it comes into contact with any water it will streak...including if you sweat on the surface....as I do.....Its a tad humid here on occasion... :D
And I also found if the sprinkles from spray come into contact with any flat black trim...and are allowed to dry...they will not come off and you will need to repaint the trim....
I just used my new formula bottle I got from Magic and It does exactly as stated ...and comes off even easier than the old stuff .....but I do miss the scent the old stuff had....
JBB is right on the money with the VOC (volitile organic compounds) and new paints. heck, they are even softer today than they were in the past as well.
As far as the claims, I make the same claim that JBB did on it lasting 3 months. I will admit, sometimes salespeople get a little too fired up and someone probably did say a year at some point. However, I know that 3-4 months would be about the limit on beading up water. The product is much easier on the surface than those that will bead the surface for 12 months.
This isn't a put it on one time and see ya in 6 months, if you care about your car and clean it 1 time a month or every other month using this stuff, it will look great for a long time. This is the only way I clean all of my vehicles everytime i do so.
As far as the overspray (sprinkles), the formula of Ultra-Ion does do it much less (actually, hardly at all) than that of the older stuff JBB was talking about however on that black plastic, it still will get into the pours of the material a little if you don't wi[e it away from the pourous plastic within a minute or so.
Now, JBB, those "other products" you were talking about, well, i have pretty much all but discontinued them. it took focus away from what we did best and that was the car care line and the business plan under my watch calls for making the best car care products in the world. Big mountain to climb, but I think we have a good foundation.
JBB, thanks for taking the time to anser those questions for everyone. you have extensive knowledge in this area and i appreciate the help.
I owe you a drink! :D

Magic34
11-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I just bought a new to me Black truck tonight. I will try it again this weekend.
Yes the paint was dry.. :)
Let me get something written up and sent to you. Should help with detailing your vehicle with our stuff.
Also, sometimes the streaking could be the current wax being removed by our product. A lot of heavy silicone waxes will do that and applying the product an extra time or 2 will help. I'll have something for you tomorrow.

Magic34
11-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks to everyone and I am glad you like it!!!!!!!!
Please Please Please, if you have any questions, contact me immediately and I'll help you out.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

INSman
11-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I got mine, and I'll try it out this week !!! :D

SummitKarl
11-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks to everyone and I am glad you like it!!!!!!!!
Please Please Please, if you have any questions, contact me immediately and I'll help you out.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yea how about my $10m idea.....do you have any idea how much food flavored body spray I could sell to just Pixilatedpussy, Bellababe and Mrs. Hootersled alone :jawdrop: :idea: :D

Magic34
11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
yea how about my $10m idea.....do you have any idea how much food flavored body spray I could sell to just Pixilatedpussy, Bellababe and Mrs. Hootersled alone :jawdrop: :idea: :D
I need your help with the other big idea, just add another zero to that figure above. :hammer2: But you don't want it to happen. :frown:
We probaly could sell a lot of it to a few selected board members.

Magic34
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
OK, now that I have some time finally, I wanted to address this a little.
Since I can't look at it myself, I'll just list a few issues that I could see the problem possibly being.
The current wax you have on there could look like it is streaking while coming off when applying our product. Our products will remove the wax a little each time, replacing it with its own protective barrier.
Washing towels in fabric softener will cause streaking fairly bad. Fabric softener contains silicone that will streak the surface and make it difficult to remaove anything from the surface.
Sometimes if you use it on a really hot surface because you are using different pressure on different parts of the towel in the application it may seem to streak but with consistent pressure that is rare to happen. We tested each formula in the middle of summer in Vegas in the direct sun light and found that it rarely did streak.
If there is overspray on a vehicle or other substance keeping the buffing towel from reaching the low spots (actual paint because the overspray sits high), it would appear as streaking.
We have sold a few hundred thousand bottles and streaking rarely comes up. In reagards to possibly being the product, make sure you shake it up good and allow the haze to dry (should be less than 5 mintues needed to d so) and work it in really good.
Other than that, I would have to say something is going on with the surface, not the product. Use it on the windows and compare the 2(windows and paint). Compare the verticle and horizontal surfaces of the vehicle. If the surfaces that face up are streaking and not the sides of the vehicle, something is definitely on the paint.
Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with any questions throughout the way.

Magic34
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
A great way to remove some light surface scratches with this product is to do the following:
Clean it with the Ultra-Ion product as you would any other time. Once you have the surface clean, take a terry cloth detailers pad (you can buy them at CKS stores or Wal Mart) and spray the product on the surface again. Work it on the surface in tight small circles one way, and then go over it again the opposite way. Once done with that, gentley criss cross over the circles, for example lightly make this motion over the paint with the application pad "/ / / / / / /" and then do it the other way "\ \ \ \ \ " so you made an overlapping X. Then just make some smooth straight lines with the pad (kind of follow the body line) and allow the product to setup on the surface for a few minutes. With very light pressure buff off with the buffing towel and the shine will be great.
This works best on the dark cars and it isn't something that needs to be done every time. I do this about 2-3 times a year at the most.
What is great about this product is that you could do some fine detailing with it if you wanted, or it could be a 20 minute quick detail if you wanted. Works great either way or anywhere in between.

Ziggy
11-07-2005, 02:01 PM
We tried using it 10-15 years ago at the dealership...when washing cars with water was considered very wasteful.....but to spritz and wipe each car instead of de-ionized water spraying was not labor effective........
I say the product works well for the application its intended for but not on a large scale to maintain car inventory.
I still have the handpump spray bottle(in itself a worthy item) that came with the product and have just started using it for other purposes.
I can recommend this product.