PDA

View Full Version : Z-boys Vs Dogtown

Kilrtoy
11-05-2005, 08:17 PM
I know this came up last week, well the documentary comes on at 0845 on the IFC channel.....TONIGHT

C-2
11-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I've seen the show...kinda cool to watch.
Not legendary as they depict (come on, it's Venice), but enjoyable for a while.

mbrown2
11-05-2005, 09:53 PM
The documentary was better then the movie....movie made it look Tony, Stacy, and Jay were the only skaters of the time.

C-2
11-05-2005, 10:01 PM
The documentary was better then the movie....movie made it look Tony, Stacy, and Jay were the only skaters of the time.
That's where the whole dealio loses me...were these guys huge? Circa 78' I was into skateboarding, got the magazine and everything but never remembered reading about Dogtown.
Was it an LA thing, or did one of them grow up to be a movie producer?
On the movie...rent or pass?

Kilrtoy
11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
In th early 80's had a Powell Peralta, and Alva and a Dogtown it was big for us in the valley, but this was a few years after their fame days

mbrown2
11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
That's where the whole dealio loses me...were these guys huge? Circa 78' I was into skateboarding, got the magazine and everything but never remembered reading about Dogtown.
Yes, they were big...kind of like the outlaws of the time. But there were other big names like Shogo and such that were just as huge. These guys were big.....possibly the biggest...but they were not the only skaters, and not the only Dogtown good skaters of the time.

tcook33
11-06-2005, 08:13 AM
I was still shittin in my diapers when all this went down, so my words aren't first hand info. But I do have some reliable sources and also some of it could be some common sense.
Skateboarding at that time had little or no following. Yeah, there were people skateboarding in the 50's. The same people that bought these boards at K-Mart or wherever along with their hula-hoops. It was a "craze" back then. In the 70's it was the beginning of the start of a "sport". If you can even call it that. Let's just say a "legitimate" craze.
These guys were part of a generation that paved the way for what is now. They weren't the only guys out there skating, like the movie depicts. Of course there were others out there skating banks and such. These guys were just taking it to another level. Each year they were doing things noone ever even dreamed of doing. Progressing a "craze" that noone thought would make it out of the "craze" status.
Alva and Adams were documented as the first to skate pools. I doubt they were even close to "legendary" at the time. They were kids progressing a "craze" that noone over 21 took seriously. I'm sure it was a joke to anyone that was old enough to get a job.
Looking back on what they did and who they were, based on what is happening with that "craze" in todays times, is where we can put them in the "legendary" category. There is a really good chance that it could have been another passing fad such as the hula-hoop if it wasn't for this group of young kids.
Anyone that does something that society doesnt approve of, or something that is not the norm, and does it with the passion that these guys had (and still do) are "legends" in my book any day.

Jake W2
11-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Saw the movie a month or so ago not bad.I grew up in the late 70s 80s so Tony Hawk,Lance Mountian,Mike Mcgill,Lucero,Caballero,Mike Schmitt,ect was who we looked up to ,Knew Staceys name only because of Powell and Prelta.Use to watch Bones Bergrade every week.Stacy chuncks a TV out the window at the first of it.
You guys remember Trasher the movie with the daggers as the bad skaters funny $hit.
One thing I saw at the end was that Jay was in Hawaii surfing sounds like a good life.I went to Maui and went to what would be their north shore and I can tell you visitors were not very welcome and we were just watching.
Jake

TRG
11-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Skate Or Die!

Jake W2
11-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Skate or go home.
Jake

LBZROCKS
11-06-2005, 10:27 AM
I use to ride an Alva... cant remember the model..but I had black grip tape that we die-cut over the alva logo on the top of the deck..it was sick.. I rode that board until I snapped it in half in 91... I never rode a dogtown..although i was way out here in cow country back then.. :crossx:
In th early 80's had a Powell Peralta, and Alva and a Dogtown it was big for us in the valley, but this was a few years after their fame days