PDA

View Full Version : Need computer help

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Ok, here's the deal....our computer at home is all effed up and I need help otherwise Bordsmnj is going to explode from ***boat withdrawals. :boxingguy
It shut down and went to the screen that says something about not normal shutdown, then it says start in safe mode, regular windows, etc. No matter what option we pick, it goes thru a little cycle and ends up at the same screen. Its an Hp and has this system recovery (F10) and I tried that. It says the system recovery was successful but then ends up a the black screen that says do you want to restart in sade mode etc...
Help!!!!
:(

HOOTER SLED-
11-07-2005, 07:43 AM
8 lb sledgehammer right down the center should do the trick. :D :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I cannot get it to do anything but reboot and end up back at the screen that gives me the option to run normal, safe mode, etc. :mad:

HOOTER SLED-
11-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Have you tried running anti spyware like Ad-Aware from lavasoft.com? Run that and the free edition of anti virus called AVG from grisoft.com.
Is there any option for getting it to boot in the normal mode versus safe mode? You can usually override the safe mode boot.
Sounds like she can't even get it started up and to the desktop. Try HP support. May take a while, but should be able to help.

76ANTHONY
11-07-2005, 07:53 AM
call the GEEK SQUAD, they come to your house

Jyruiz
11-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Have you tried running anti spyware like Ad-Aware from lavasoft.com? Run that and the free edition of anti virus called AVG from grisoft.com.
Is there any option for getting it to boot in the normal mode versus safe mode? You can usually override the safe mode boot.
She is not going to be able to run that because she is not even getting into windows.
Did you try selecting "Last know good configuration" at boot up?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:12 AM
She is not going to be able to run that because she is not even getting into windows.
Did you try selecting "Last know good configuration" at boot up?
Tried that and it still goes to the same screen. :mad:

Stoneman
11-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Ok, here's the deal....our computer at home is all effed up and I need help otherwise Bordsmnj is going to explode from ***boat withdrawals. :boxingguy
It shut down and went to the screen that says something about not normal shutdown, then it says start in safe mode, regular windows, etc. No matter what option we pick, it goes thru a little cycle and ends up at the same screen. Its an Hp and has this system recovery (F10) and I tried that. It says the system recovery was successful but then ends up a the black screen that says do you want to restart in sade mode etc...
Help!!!!
What type of operating system is it. Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP do you know?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:15 AM
What type of operating system is it. Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP do you know?
I do not remember for sure but I want to say 2000.

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Help!!!!
insert you orginal windows CD and boot from the CD, when it boots, go run your virus scan, then disk clean and disk defrag,(found in acc./system tools) then restart
ALWAYS MAKE A START UP DISK!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you do not have a start up disk get a copy of Norton, to boot from it should fix your messed up File Alocation Table = FAT

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Ok, its Windows XP and it came loaded. We do not have the disc. :idea:

Kiddunot
11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
one of two things is wrong......you have a bad driver or you have a bad component in your computer. What was the last thing you installed on your computer before this happened? And what were you doing before it shut down on you?

Stoneman
11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
insert you orginal windows CD and boot from the CD, when it boots, go run your virus scan, then disk clean and disk defrag,(found in acc./system tools) then restart
ALWAYS MAKE A START UP DISK!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you do not have a start up disk get a copy of Norton, to boot from it should fix your messed up File Alocation Table = FAT
This is what I was going to say to do as well, except the defrag. Go to cmos setup as soon as you start the pc. This is done by hitting the f2 or f5 or f12 key depends on the cmos. Change the boot sequence to d:\ or cd drive. then install the cd in you disk drive and hopefully it will boot to windows.
From here I would run msconfig and run Diagnostic start-up. then reboot without the disk. This can take some time but it will get the job done!

2Driver
11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Try HP support. May take a while, but should be able to help.
Yep a direct line to the India HP support line if you can tolerate it.
"Heado please, what modoo are youd caulding today about please."
Enter your response here___________
" Weed suggest dat youd dadete all progadams and reinstall windoos". " tank-jew very much peas for caulding HP.
You might luck out and get the US or cananda depending on when you call.

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:32 AM
This is what I was going to say to do as well, except the defrag. Go to cmos setup as soon as you start the pc. This is done by hitting the f2 or f5 or f12 key depends on the cmos. Change the boot sequence to d:\ or cd drive. then install the cd in you disk drive and hopefully it will boot to windows.
From here I would run msconfig and run Diagnostic start-up. then reboot without the disk. This can take some time but it will get the job done!
this is also sound advice

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Ok, its Windows XP and it came loaded. We do not have the disc. :idea:
is win xp on ANY other machine you have access to....if so make a start up cd on it

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I am running Xp on the computer I am on right now. How do I make a start up cd from it?

SummitKarl
11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
I am running Xp on the computer I am on right now. How do I make a start up cd from it?
I am not that familar with XP I run win2k, in my case it's under "control Panel" "system"

missboatnam1
11-07-2005, 08:46 AM
take it down to the local pc store like we do every 6 months and pay the 100 bucks to fix it.the guy down there loves us.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:46 AM
I am not that familar with XP I run win2k, in my case it's under "control Panel" "system"
Is there an option to make a start up disk? I looked in the control panel system and didn't see anything.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-07-2005, 08:47 AM
take it down to the local pc store like we do every 6 months and pay the 100 bucks to fix it.the guy down there loves us.
How was your weekend? Sorry about the midnight :sleeping: drunk dialing on friday night. I just missed you. ;)

missboatnam1
11-07-2005, 09:47 AM
i dont think there is an option.the guy told us at the pc store just put the start up disk in but we dont have it either.no problem about the call i dont think tina even woke up.