PDA

View Full Version : smog test failed/ignition timing issue

RiverForUs
11-07-2005, 08:17 AM
My '91 4Runner failed a smog check yesterday for the first time. Everything was within spec but the timing. The tech said it's at 17* BTDC and should be at 10* BTDC. I haven't done timing since auto shop in high school 20+ years ago. Is this a quick and easy fix? How much will a shop charge me for this?
My B-I-L has done it a couple of times before but doesn't want to F-up a relatives vehicle should something else fail the smog check after the timing is changed. Besides, neither one of us has the right equipment. Anyone out there close to Anaheim that can help a fellow board member out?
Thanks, John.

76ANTHONY
11-07-2005, 08:36 AM
My '91 4Runner failed a smog check yesterday for the first time. Everything was within spec but the timing. The tech said it's at 17* BTDC and should be at 10* BTDC. I haven't done timing since auto shop in high school 20+ years ago. Is this a quick and easy fix? How much will a shop charge me for this?
My B-I-L has done it a couple of times before but doesn't want to F-up a relatives vehicle should something else fail the smog check after the timing is changed. Besides, neither one of us has the right equipment. Anyone out there close to Anaheim that can help a fellow board member out?
Thanks, John.
we usually charge 60.00 it is pretty simple, borrow a timing light. see if one of your buddies can show you how.. shops sometimes will tell you you have other issues... it takes about 15 minutes to adjust timing

phebus
11-07-2005, 08:42 AM
Don't bother asking Photoglou :D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Don't bother asking Photoglou :D :D :D
:jawdrop:

Topock Junkie
11-07-2005, 09:39 AM
First off did you go to a Test only or a Test and repair. You have to be careful who you let do your smogs. Alot of these guys are super crooked. If I was you I'd take it down to another shop and see what they say.
If you did go to a test only. Now that your car failed you can take it to a test and repair and they can fix your timming while you are there.