PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to Havasu

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I am kicking around the idea of moving to Havasu sinse I don't really want to live in Vegas.
I have a couple of questions....
What is the best part of town (nicest, safest, etc.)?
I need at least 3/4 of an acre to build what I want, so where is the best part of town for that?
I don't want to put my daughter in a public school system when the time comes, but are there any good private schools there?
This would be my only residence, but I would commute to Vegas often for flights and my office is there. How safe is that road between? I have driven it about 3 times, but are there a lot of accidents on that road? I know it is about 2 hours if you are on the gas.
How long of a drive is it to Glamis from Havasu? :wink: Yuma (south dunes)?
Does the A/C blow up every summer if we like to keep the house at 72 degrees? :hammerhea
This is a huge decision for us and I want to look at everything on paper before even officially contacting someone for lot prices, but what does the nice part of town cost for more than 2/3 acre?
Karl, don't worry, if by any chance this does happen, you'll design it.
Thanks!

INSman
11-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Too many questions !!!
There are some very nice and large lots in Havasu Heights, which I think will ultimately be gated, but the problem may be the choice of only (5) builders and the monopolistic pricing that comes with exclusivity. :mad:

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Too many questions !!!
There are some very nice and large lots in Havasu Heights, which I think will ultimately be gated, but the problem may be the choice of only (5) builders and the monopolistic pricing that comes with exclusivity. :mad:
OK, I guess I should add this...
I want control over my build through a custom builder and I will be able to get materials (flooring, appliances, windows, etc) at very good prices due to a family project happening in Vegas. :)

cola
11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Too many questions !!!
Havasu Hights ??? You must mean The Refuge. ;)

cola
11-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Try Donkey Acres if you want land & control. It's the east side back up to the mountains. :mix:

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Havasu Hights ??? You must mean The Refuge. ;)
Isn't that place sinking?

haulina29
11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
If you want control build it yourself ?

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:43 PM
If you want control build it yourself ?
I don't have time for that. I guess by control, I mean use some of my vendors to buy materials for the build.

INSman
11-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Mike
#1, check your cell phone voicemail
#2, my bad, Havasu Foothill Estates, not Havasu Heights
http://www.oxleyconstruction.com/index.htm

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:48 PM
What is the "Horizon 6" area like?

phebus
Get ahold of Michele Bravata (Warlock25 on the boards) She is a great honest realtor that will guide you in the right direction with no pressure.

INSman
never heard of it :confused:

Magic34
11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Mike
#1, check your cell phone voicemail
#2, my bad, Havasu Foothill Estates, not Havasu Heights
http://www.oxleyconstruction.com/index.htm
Answer to #1, I'm good for next week. And I have no idea on the A&E ins.

riverroyal
11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Im getting a putting green and a kegerator,move in next door...by the way get your weekend warrior yet?Just picked mine up from the factory,it was in Perris,could have been Mexico by the looks of it,more front BC plates in the lot than cal plates

TOBTEK
11-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Im getting a putting green and a kegerator,move in next door...by the way get your weekend warrior yet?Just picked mine up from the factory,it was in Perris,could have been Mexico by the looks of it,more front BC plates in the lot than cal plates
you RACEST! :hammer2:

Magic34
11-08-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll be picking up the new Warrior somewhere around Dec. 5 and making the first dune trip that weekend (Dec 9-Dec 11) and we'll also do the following weekend as well. Then home for Christmas and back out there for New Years.
So 2 weeks in a row, the 1 off and then back for New Years.

Mrs.Racer277
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Get ahold of Michele Bravata (Warlock25 on the boards) She is a great honest realtor that will guide you in the right direction with no pressure.
I agree call Michele 928-208-9171

Magic34
11-08-2005, 09:09 PM
What about raising kids there? Is the town too small for a good private school?
We are a couple under 30 years old with a 19 month old now and planning on 1 more kid in the next year (wife thinks 5 months :hammerhea ).

TCHB
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
1. Havasu does not have a private school.
2. Havasu housing is mixed unless you want gated community.
3. No traffic
4. Nice people in general

INSman
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
What about raising kids there? Is the town too small for a good private school?
We are a couple under 30 years old with an 19 month old now and planning on 1 more kid in the next year (wife thinks 5 months :hammerhea ).
I say, fly them to private school on the jet to wherever !!!!!!!!!!! :rollside:

Mandelon
11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
How long of a drive is it to Glamis from Havasu? Yuma (south dunes)?
I think about 3 hours if you are towing. 95 or I-1 to 10 to 78 (Neighbors Blvd)

ULTRA28
11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
2 1/2 hours to either Yuma sand dunes or Glamis.

Magic34
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
2 1/2 hours to either Yuma sand dunes or Glamis.
Clean out your PM's!!!!!

bigq
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
Magic 34 what the hell do you do that you can just move there like that? just curious.

Magic34
11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Magic 34 what the hell do you do that you can just move there like that? just curious.
Check the Detailing Product Offer thread.
My office is in Vegas, and Havasu is closer to Vegas than PHX is. Right now I fly there on a weekly basis. Takes 2 hours out of my day 1 way. Well, driving to Vegas is 2 hours as well, but I don't have to wait for a schedule when I can come and go (flights).
The only thing that would be a pain in the ass for me, and it would be a big pain in the ass is that I travel at least 2 times a month around different parts of North America, and to catch a plane, I would have to drive 2 hours to Vegas for the flight, which is OK because I would be at the office anyways. The part that would suck would be driving home after coming back into town late.

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Very Interesting

Magic34
11-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Very Interesting
What is???

bigq
11-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Check the Detailing Product Offer thread.
My office is in Vegas, and Havasu is closer to Vegas than PHX is. Right now I fly there on a weekly basis. Takes 2 hours out of my day 1 way. Well, driving to Vegas is 2 hours as well, but I don't have to wait for a schedule when I can come and go (flights).
The only thing that would be a pain in the ass for me, and it would be a big pain in the ass is that I travel at least 2 times a month around different parts of North America, and to catch a plane, I would have to drive 2 hours to Vegas for the flight, which is OK because I would be at the office anyways. The part that would suck would be driving home after coming back into town late.
Good deal. If you come in late just stay in the office. It would beat driving back late for sure.

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 10:18 PM
What is???
Your idea

Magic34
11-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Your idea
What do you think... good interesting or one of those bad ones?
I just want ot make sure my kids don't miss out on anything. What that anything is... I dont know, but it seems there are more options (once again dont know what the options could or would be) in the larger cities.

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 10:35 PM
What do you think... good interesting or one of those bad ones?
I just want ot make sure my kids don't miss out on anything. What that anything is... I dont know, but it seems there are more options (once again dont know what the options could or would be) in the larger cities.
I think it is very good....
More and more people are doing this......

ULTRA28
11-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I think it is very good....
More and more people are doing this......
What's up? Are you actually moving there now too? I thought it was just a weekend deal for you.

SummitKarl
11-08-2005, 11:34 PM
known to the locals as "Donkey Acres" 1/2 acre lots, kinda of a "lipstick on a pig thing" New name but it's still donkey acres.
OH OH OH it just hit me...it's spendy but OH OH OH what a 360 view, very quiet neighbor hood
have MB pull this up for you
lot 5 & 6 are for sale
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2734lots.jpg

Kilrtoy
11-08-2005, 11:51 PM
What's up? Are you actually moving there now too? I thought it was just a weekend deal for you.
I thouight I was gonna open ULTRA BOATS of havasu for you.... :p

KACHINA KEN
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Yeahhhhh!!!!!!!!! crash pad for me n my sled!!!!!!

RiverRatMike
11-09-2005, 12:41 AM
I am kicking around the idea of moving to Havasu sinse I don't really want to live in Vegas.
I have a couple of questions....
What is the best part of town (nicest, safest, etc.)?
I need at least 3/4 of an acre to build what I want, so where is the best part of town for that?
I don't want to put my daughter in a public school system when the time comes, but are there any good private schools there?
This would be my only residence, but I would commute to Vegas often for flights and my office is there. How safe is that road between? I have driven it about 3 times, but are there a lot of accidents on that road? I know it is about 2 hours if you are on the gas.
How long of a drive is it to Glamis from Havasu? :wink: Yuma (south dunes)?
Does the A/C blow up every summer if we like to keep the house at 72 degrees? :hammerhea
This is a huge decision for us and I want to look at everything on paper before even officially contacting someone for lot prices, but what does the nice part of town cost for more than 2/3 acre?
Karl, don't worry, if by any chance this does happen, you'll design it.
Thanks!
My wife and I moved from OC to Havasu over 2 years ago. Bought a new home on the South side of town and love living here. South side is a good area, no problems here. 72 degrees are you insane? Yeah 72 degree would keep your A/C running all the time in the summer. I keep mine at 81 during the hottest summer months and believe me from being outside in 120 + degree temps and coming inside a home that is 81 its very nice!

framer1
11-09-2005, 05:48 AM
Isn't that place sinking?
What's the story on this?

GHT
11-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Wish we could move there.. In Vegas now. Rat race is just getting F'ing OLD... Just don't know what I would do in Havi.. :confused:

Evil-E
11-09-2005, 07:42 AM
That's a great idea! I'll save on hotel rooms and boat storage. :p Just make the garage big enough. ;)

Jordy
11-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Just make the garage big enough. ;)
Hmmm, I was thinking the same thing. Lots of room for boat parking and I'd like a king size bed in my room. :D :D :D

Magic34
11-09-2005, 08:12 AM
That's a great idea! I'll save on hotel rooms and boat storage. :p Just make the garage big enough. ;)
You dont have to worry about that. :D 3200-4000 sq ft garage for sure. :cool:

KACHINA KEN
11-09-2005, 08:54 AM
known to the locals as "Donkey Acres" 1/2 acre lots, kinda of a "lipstick on a pig thing" New name but it's still donkey acres.
OH OH OH it just hit me...it's spendy but OH OH OH what a 360 view, very quiet neighbor hood
lot 5 & 6 are for sale
Tomesha? Is that over by Lawanda and Shaniqua lane? :D :D :D

OnlyMoney
11-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Hey Magic 34,
We have a house on the North side against BLM and have had no problems, except for the "tornado" that ripped through in July/August. :frown:
I drive the road between Vegas-Havasu almost every Friday night and drive to work directly from Havasu on Mon. mornings. I have never come across an accident (knock on wood) the whole time. And 2.5 hours is what it almost always is, without a stop. Remember, the truckers have to use it as the bypass for the dam these days...and watch out for the train. :smile: Also, our friends do the same thing by driving to Vegas to catch flights.
As far as the private school, our friends have a 5 and 3 year old that they just put into a private school. I know there's more than one of them, since I know a high schooler attending one as well. I know the young ones are in a Lutheran school, I don't know what the older kids' is.
Hope this helps. I think one day we'll end up selling the big house here and try to live out of the Havasu house, at least for a while.

ULTRA28
11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey Magic 34,
We have a house on the North side against BLM and have had no problems, except for the "tornado" that ripped through in July/August. :frown:
I drive the road between Vegas-Havasu almost every Friday night and drive to work directly from Havasu on Mon. mornings. I have never come across an accident (knock on wood) the whole time. And 2.5 hours is what it almost always is, without a stop. Remember, the truckers have to use it as the bypass for the dam these days...and watch out for the train. :smile: Also, our friends do the same thing by driving to Vegas to catch flights.
As far as the private school, our friends have a 5 and 3 year old that they just put into a private school. I know there's more than one of them, since I know a high schooler attending one as well. I know the young ones are in a Lutheran school, I don't know what the older kids' is.
Hope this helps. I think one day we'll end up selling the big house here and try to live out of the Havasu house, at least for a while.
Was that you I met in at the sandbar a few weeks ago, you had a little girl dancing on your boat?

Racer277
11-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Tomesha? Is that over by Lawanda and Shaniqua lane? :D :D :D
LMAO!

OnlyMoney
11-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Was that you I met in at the sandbar a few weeks ago, you had a little girl dancing on your boat?
We were just talking about that on Sunday with Steve & Kelly about your show and it donned on us that was what the camera was for!!! Yes, that's our friends daughter on our boat. Is it making it on the show?? :D

2Driver
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
We lived there for 5 years but that was a few years ago. We enjoyed it immensely but did not have kids at the time. The estate homes in what is referred to as the Equestrian area (hardly any horses) are pretty nice. they are at the top of town to the North East. Very nice estate homes on 1 acre parcels. I am sure someone here could expand on info in that area
Schools are a different story. If you are planning on raising a scholar I am not sure LHC is the place. Schools are lack luster and there is no real choice. Last year there were some uprising from teachers ( read about) where they were leaving and the quality of teacher was not too great over all. I am sure there are exceptions. School test scores are state average and below which the state average sucks to begin with. Being in the Valley you have choices, like PV school district or private school.
Like others have said, LHC is hit and miss and a it doesn't take but a 1/2 mile to go from golf course area to a $hit area, well all those kids (as well as the transient nature of people in LHC) are all in the public schools with your kids. We have a 4 year old and could move back but I am not for the above reasons. I am sure some will take exception to this by the very fact they have kids in the school there but oh well. You might be better off to build a 2nd home and use it as a mid-way base to Vegas and a summer full-time hang out.
For now we are hanging in Carefree to raise the kid. Hope that helps

OnlyMoney
11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
From what I heard it made the show that airs this Sunday at 7:00. I heard they have a shot of her dancing that pans over to my boys watching her.
Thanks, I'll let them know. Sorry for the thread jack, Magic34. :cool:

OGShocker
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
lot 5 & 6 are for sale
Lipstick on a pig.. :idea: :idea: :idea: We're kinda use to that. :D

Magic34
11-09-2005, 09:58 AM
We lived there for 5 years but that was a few years ago. We enjoyed it immensely but did not have kids at the time. The estate homes in what is referred to as the Equestrian area (hardly any horses) are pretty nice. they are at the top of town to the North East. Very nice estate homes on 1 acre parcels. I am sure someone here could expand on info in that area
Schools are a different story. If you are planning on raising a scholar I am not sure LHC is the place. Schools are lack luster and there is no real choice. Last year there were some uprising from teachers ( read about) where they were leaving and the quality of teacher was not too great over all. I am sure there are exceptions. School test scores are state average and below which the state average sucks to begin with. Being in the Valley you have choices, like PV school district or private school.
Like others have said, LHC is hit and miss and a it doesn't take but a 1/2 mile to go from golf course area to a $hit area, well all those kids (as well as the transient nature of people in LHC) are all in the public schools with your kids. We have a 4 year old and could move back but I am not for the above reasons. I am sure some will take exception to this by the very fact they have kids in the school there but oh well. You might be better off to build a 2nd home and use it as a mid-way base to Vegas and a summer full-time hang out.
For now we are hanging in Carefree to raise the kid. Hope that helps
Thanks, this makes a lot of sense. The school situation will be the #1 factor for us to move there. We already know what private school she would be attending here in the PHX area when the time comes and I was hoping for a similiar good situation there as well (at least that would help determine the option to move).

Magic34
11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Anyone else been around the school system there?

INSman
11-15-2005, 08:25 AM
I say just buy/build a school and then you control your own destiny and child's education, maybe a Pinecrest franchise or something :D
"If you build it, they will come" ;)

Kilrtoy
11-15-2005, 08:52 AM
They do have one gifted school, but they only test twice a year so if you miss it, then you have to wait until the next test date....