PDA

View Full Version : Battery Cable

GMFL
11-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Does any know if there is a problem with using 2 guage wire from Home Depot to wire the batteries? I know it is not as flexible than the Monster wire or the wire you get from West Marine.
I just have about 40 feet of the HD 2 ga in the garage that was left over from a job and I thought that I could use it for this.
Thanks for the thoughts...

Havasu Hangin'
11-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Wire is wire...it should work fine.

YeLLowBoaT
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
You may also want to check welding suppy shops. They have very large guage wire for cheap.

Riverkid
11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
It may not be as flexible due to strand count, but it should be fine. You might want to consider 1/0 cable as a minimum if you are wiring from the batt to the starter... 2 Ga has an ampacity of 115 and 1/0 is 150 amps... Nice to be able to move the current without much voltage drop. :rollside:

h2oski2fast
11-10-2005, 05:46 PM
2 Ga has an ampacity of 115 and 1/0 is 150 amps... Nice to be able to move the current without much voltage drop. :rollside:
Through what distance?
BTW, did you get my fax? I got your email.... but you didnt give Katie my address. :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

Riverkid
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I rec'd your fax and dropped the hard copy at the office today. The check will mail on Monday after it's signed. The stickers look great! Thanks D!
Oh, BTW, I'll email you my power calc chart ig you like. AND, the Baia episode is on tonight on Alias...

GMFL
11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Wire is wire...it should work fine.
That's what I figured but didn't know if there would be a problem with movement of the engine and the wire not being as flexible.
Thanks

GMFL
11-10-2005, 07:02 PM
It may not be as flexible due to strand count, but it should be fine. You might want to consider 1/0 cable as a minimum if you are wiring from the batt to the starter... 2 Ga has an ampacity of 115 and 1/0 is 150 amps... Nice to be able to move the current without much voltage drop. :rollside:
Do I really need 1/0? I'm only going about 3-4 feet max. I don't think the voltage drop would be that great at that distance, would it? Although, I know bigger is allways better..........

Riverkid
11-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Do I really need 1/0? I'm only going about 3-4 feet max. I don't think the voltage drop would be that great at that distance, would it? Although, I know bigger is allways better..........
If it's a stock motor, you should be good to go. It's just all those commie hi compression engines you've got to worry about... :smile:

GMFL
11-10-2005, 07:40 PM
If it's a stock motor, you should be good to go. It's just all those commie hi compression engines you've got to worry about... :smile:
Yea, motor's still stock.. at least until the warranty runs out. :D

GMFL
11-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Are you in the Valley much if so I'll give U 2/0 I Just rewired my whole Battery sys. with 2/0 4 batteries have some left over.
Thanks for the offer, I don't get up that way often, and I'm heading out tomorrow to the river to wire everything up. (boats out there).
Thanks again.