PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Busch thread GONE????

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2005, 12:40 PM
AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Kurt Busch was suspended by his team Sunday for the last two races of the NASCAR season after police cited the reigning Nextel Cup champion for reckless driving.
Busch, who qualified 17th for Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500 at Phoenix International Raceway, will be replaced by Kenny Wallace.
One of Busch's sponsors is Crown Royal, a distilled whisky brand. He is also set to leave Roush at the end of this season to join Penske Racing South and replace retiring Rusty Wallace in a car sponsored by Miller Lite beer.
"It's the last straw for Roush Racing," said Geoff Smith, president of Roush Racing. "We're officially retiring as Kurt Busch's apologists effective [Sunday]."
"The team has elected to suspend Kurt Busch for the rest of the season," Smith said. "We took this action following an evaluation of the circumstances surrounding Kurt's Friday night altercation with the Arizona sheriff's office."
Busch has not commented publically on the reckless driving citation, but released a statement: "I regret the incident that occurred near the Phoenix International Raceway Friday evening where I received a traffic citation. It is important to understand that this citation is not alcohol related. I want to apologize to the Maricopa County Sheriff's department for my actions."
When asked about Busch's arrest and confrontation with police, team owner Jack Roush said it was no longer his problem.
"This suspension is made after full review of all the circumstances surrounding Kurt's Friday night altercation with the Arizona police, and after consultation with our primary sponsors, Newell-Rubbermaid and Diageo [the parent company of Crown Royal]," Roush said.
"All parties are in complete support that the action being taken today is necessary and appropriate under the circumstances," he said. "We felt that he was far enough out of line that it was a breech of his contract with me and that put me into breech with the contracts with my sponsors so we had to take action to alleviate the damage that was done in that relationship
"Roush Racing is embarrassed. The sponsors are embarrassed," Roush said. "This really cuts it. We're embarrassed for all of the NASCAR community."
Busch, 27, was stopped Friday night by police near the track after trying to avoid another car and running a stop sign, police said. The police report said the officer who stopped Busch smelled alcohol on the driver's breath, although Busch was not cited for that.
"As a result of the roadside investigation the deputy did take Mr. Busch into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol," said Lt. Paul Chagolla, a Maricopa County sheriff's spokesman.
Chagolla said the deputy smelled alcohol on Busch, but the driver refused to perform standard field sobriety tests. Busch did submit to a field breath alcohol test, disclosing the presence of alcohol.
The deputy drove Busch to the raceway, where a sheriff's facility is located, to administer another breath test but the machine there failed. The deputy then decided to cite Busch for reckless driving and he was released, Chagolla said.
Busch was spotted driving about 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, Chagolla said. A deputy tried to pull Busch over but there was some delay, Chagolla said. When he did stop, Busch was argumentative and uncooperative, Chagolla said. The deputy then called for a supervisor.
"This is Maricopa County and our streets are not to be used as raceways," sheriff Joe Arpaio said. "He ought to confine his speeding to the racetrack. And I don't like anybody being abusive to my deputies -- I don't care who they are."
Busch is eighth in the point standings, 281 points behind leader Tony Stewart, but likely will finish 10th. Busch has three victories, nine top-10 finishes and 18 top-10s this season and has won $6,516,320.
Smith said Busch, who is under contract to the Roush team through the end of the season, will not be allowed to drive for anyone else this year.
"He would have to get permission and we would be very reluctant to give it," Smith said. "It's very offensive to us that he chose to take on the arresting officer the way he did verbally. And then the fact there was alcohol, even in the smallest way, involved."
Busch's truculent behavior on and off the track has gotten him in trouble with NASCAR and other drivers in the past.
He was punched in the face by Jimmy Spencer for trying to deliberately wreck him. He was called "an arrogant punk" by Kevin Harvick and is booed by fans who dislike his aggressive driving.
Busch got into trouble with NASCAR again at Darlington in May when he refused to go where he was told after returning to the track following a crash. He then was called into the pits for a penalty and responded with expletives directed at NASCAR officials over his car radio. He also tossed a water bottle that hit the NASCAR official in his pit.
NASCAR officials said his behavior was not "befitting of a champion."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

AZKC
11-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Dam it was just here a minute ago :jawdrop: Kurt got his peepee wacked pretty good. He must have pushed Roush's buttons pretty good :hammer2:

Squirtin Thunder
11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Dam it was just here a minute ago :jawdrop: Kurt got his peepee wacked pretty good. He must have pushed Roush's buttons pretty good :hammer2:
Thats what I am thinking !!!

Dusty Times
11-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Roush had nothing good to say about him but car owner Penske stated he will always have a home with him and mentioned things Busch and himself could do to repay the city.

PHOTOGLOU
11-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Screwing with a 12 - 16 million dollar contract.......Although I don't think he did it with malace while driving, it definatly looks like he thought he should get some preferential treatment....JUST my .02

carreraelite
11-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Sounds like he got nasty with the Sherriffs that stopped him. He wouldn't do the DUI tests for them and when they took him to the track station, their breathalizer wasn't working. Sound to me like he got lucky so far with this one, but he needs to get his temper in check.

Jordy
11-13-2005, 02:39 PM
He wouldn't do the DUI tests for them
Smart move as it's your right not to. Violates your right against self incrimination as they can, and will, use your perfomance against you. ;)
Does sound like he dodged a bullet though. :notam: :idea:

superdave013
11-13-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't follow Kurt Busch but it's sad to hear what sounds like he's throwing it all away. People work real hard and never get the shot this guy has. So if he focks it up that's just sad on his part.

Rod-64
11-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Kyles in the lead now..................hope he gets 4 flat tires.........at once.. :mad:

DAVEO
11-13-2005, 03:59 PM
What a dumb azz...........

JustMVG
11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
so the thread got pulled, was it because it's not about boating? I thought the Sandbar was for just about anything, oh well their playground!

jbtrailerjim
11-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Jack suspending Kurt was payback to him for being a jackass and leaving Roush for Penske. IMO.....If he was still gonna remain with Roush and was not going anywhere he would have raced today.

DaveA
11-13-2005, 06:30 PM
When Rusty got involved with RP after being the 1989 Cup champion, he was almost outa control. The Captain, Don Miller, and others went to work on him and toned him down alot. There were times they almost had to throw a bucket of cold water on him, figurately speaking, to get his attention and make him shut up. Buddy Baker had to take him 'behind the woodshed' more than once, too. I got to where I liked him after all.
We always called Rusty "Rubberhead" after his multiple flip incident years ago, especially when we placed him up against Earnhardt, whom we called "Ironhead". Rightfully so, too.
Now, with Kurt Busch, Roger has a new public relations basket-case to take Rusty's place. Gonna be interesting how a guy with the last name of Busch is gonna represent Miller beer! At least he knows how to deal with the cops on a possible DUI charge. That can be helpful...
Just look at him. Some of us around Mooresville call him "RubberFace". :D

JustMVG
11-13-2005, 07:16 PM
I almost fell off the couch when they interviewed KB at the beginning of the pre race show, he starts to shed a tear when he thanks Fenning, and his team and how sorry he is, PUHLEEEAASE!!! Maybe Kurt will get those oh so needed charm school classes, that way he can deal with the public.

vdrivenman
11-14-2005, 04:06 AM
busch is a whiney mouth punk !
i'd love to hear or see the in car video on that stop. i saw him show his azz at Texas Speedway this year !
he needs a TUNEUP !!!

Seadog
11-14-2005, 06:33 AM
While I suspect the sheriff's department blew this thing up for the publicity, the fact remains that Roush had dealt with KB's poor attitude for several years. He did not have to let him out of his contract early, but he made it easier on KB by letting him go. And how does he repay Roush? He goes and creates an incident that makes the team and sponser look bad. The sponsor made the decision to cut KB and I suspect that Roush had no problems with that decision.

duffster
11-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Smart-
Everyone should not drink and get behind the wheel but remember this and always refuse to perform standard field sobriety tests if you are pulled over and blow at the station. I have a attorney boating buddy that specializes in DUI cases and he told me that going this route cuts twenty or so things that they can use against you in court. He said that only a few people that called him have refused to perform the field tests under the command trained officer. But those that have had the balls and did not fold from pressure have been his best cases that were dismissed.

JustMVG
11-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Found this link and wanted to share, Kurt Busch is an Idiot
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1118051busch1.html

Seadog
11-20-2005, 03:03 PM
The general word I have heard was that Busch had acted like a prima donna for quite awhile. Rousch was upset with the way Busch chose to leave the team and when this happened, it was partially payback and partially making a point for embarrassing the team. If Busch had honored the contract, I am sure that odds would be higher that he would not have stood down the two races.

boater72
11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey I said this in the other post that I am not a Kurt Bush fan. But do you all know that he blew a .017 at the traffic stop. There is more to this like I said.

bgchuby01
11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
I used to race against Kurt and Kyle at Las Vegas in the super late models. Kyle will be a real gentleman for the sport, Kurt is an arragant asshole and I only wish that Jimmy Spencer had dragged him out of his car and beaten some sence into the boy

JustMVG
11-20-2005, 09:56 PM
bgcuby i agree with ya, i think alot of the attitude that Kyle is getting from the fans is because of the dislike/hatred they have of his brother, he subbed for his brother on Wind Tunnel w Dave Despain, when Kurt didn't want to come on and be grilled about his contract w Roush. And Kyle has done some things on track that were borderline aggressive/ stupid and made no apologies for it, blaming the other guy, but he'll figger out what to do when that happens again. I think his career will be a better remembered one than Kurt's