PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Questions

SDLifesaver
11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
We just ordered a new boat and I have so many concerns and questions that I don't have answers to. If anybody can explain the questions I have I will be most appreciative.
1. What is the difference between single and double voice coil and why is one better than the other?
2. What type of speakers should we get?
3. What type of sub woofers should we get?
4. What CD player is the best and why?
5. Co axial speakers vs. separates?
6. What amplifiers are the best and why?
7. How many amps should we buy for a system that has 2 10", 2 8", 6 6.5" speakers?
8. How much power should each speaker get?
9. Crossovers?
10. EQ?
11. When is enough enough?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick

Mr. Crusader 83
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
okay,
personally this is what i like, but everyone on here will have a dif. idea. so
i would go with
eclipes cd deck with 3 pre-outs (front and back, with sub control)
i would use sep. for the speakers, with the crossover, like mb quarts, maybe 3 pairs would be good. they come with crossovers
for subs i would run punch p1's or p2's they run well with min. power and min air space.
for amps i would go with the fosgate punch 800x4 for the sep, and a 600x1 for each pair of subs, i would run 4 12in p2's
you will need 3 or 4 batterys,
this system would be more then enough to rock to.
deck $400
sep. $300 each pair
subs $80 each
amps $200 to $400 each
optima bats, $135 each
labor about $500 or so
i can get you a better deal then these prices this is about retail, if you dont already have someone to do it for you.
pm me

Phat Matt
11-14-2005, 05:06 PM
We just ordered a new boat and I have so many concerns and questions that I don't have answers to. If anybody can explain the questions I have I will be most appreciative.
1. What is the difference between single and double voice coil and why is one better than the other?
With dual VC you have more wiring options to match up to your amp.
2. What type of speakers should we get?
What are your expectations? How much do you want to spend?
3. What type of sub woofers should we get?
Same as #2.
4. What CD player is the best and why?
Some skip less than others. CD changers work great. Personally I have gone the MP3 player route. I have more music and don't have to worry about the cd's.
5. Co axial speakers vs. separates?
Kind of depends on where you mount them. Seperates come with nice crossovers for maybe a cleaner sound.
6. What amplifiers are the best and why?
There are lots of good ones. Ones that don't overheat. I am running Phoenix Gold Xenon's in the new boat. They have built in fans. My stereo does rock, ask anyone who has heard it.
7. How many amps should we buy for a system that has 2 10", 2 8", 6 6.5" speakers?
Depending on the speakers and amps you could run that off 2.
8. How much power should each speaker get?
Depends on the speaker specs.
9. Crossovers?
Built into speakers and adjustable on the amps.
10. EQ?
On the head unit.
11. When is enough enough?
It's never enough. :D
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nick

BOBALOO
11-14-2005, 05:21 PM
As long as you dont mention 6v batteries (I have them and like them) or Rockford Hotplate, ( I have no opinion on them) you should be OK:D
Q.....When is enough enough?
A..... When your friends think you are nuts, add 1 more amp and 4 more 6 1/2's and maybe another sub.
Good luck, the regulars should chime in soon and they usually have "sound" advice.

Froggystyle
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
PM off.... Check it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I still think you should buy a boat with all of this nagging business sorted out for you already... ;)

SDLifesaver
11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys, I will sort through all this info with Mike in the next few weeks. That PG stuff looks really good.

phebus
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Better work some more overtime :D :D :D

Froggystyle
11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
...That PG stuff looks really good.
Yeah, it comes stock in some high end boats... ;)

SDLifesaver
11-15-2005, 06:09 AM
OT has been abundant.