PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what the law is in regards to handicap parking on private property

jdogginla
11-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Just curious.....been spending about an hour online trying to find the regulations or requirements.
My company/buisness is private property.....Boss tells me that we have to provide MORE handicap parking. I say we are a gated private property/buisness we are not required by law. We may do so as a courtesy but not required to.
Anyone???

1Shockwaveguy
11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I know they are required on private prop. I suggest calling your local city hall. Planning department will be able to tell you

Jbb
11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Did you look...here (http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm)

91nordic29
11-15-2005, 03:04 PM
beat me to it.

YeLLowBoaT
11-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I would bet yes.... I CA we have "drive-by-ada lawsuits" meaning they don't even have to step foot in a building to sue you. No notice that your in violation just bam I want 50k....
Heres a link to a book that worth every penny fo the 65 it tells exactly what you must have. ADA complance stuff is not cheap. I have a exemployer that was shut down his shop( cabinet). it was over a bs ADA lawsuit that he after 5 years he won. It cost him over a 100k to fight and ended up bankrupting the company. It had something to do with ada complance with his spary both. Some BS about it was not set up in such a way that some 1 in a wheel chair could do it. What really happend is he pissed off a lawyer( who only did ada stuff...) who had picked out a color that was then placed in the contract... anyways he didn't like it and wanted the cabinets redone.... Jim ( the owner) said no.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/155701311X/adabookvangcom/002-0135843-7972046

YeLLowBoaT
11-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Hate to rain on your parade, but those are old and are only the federal requirments..... out here in CA we need to have the really "cool CA stuff"...

MagicMtnDan
11-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Don't bother looking it up. Just move out of this freakin' state.
Hey, when we're all gone and only the illegal immigrants are left, will they have to abide by these effen laws and regulations? I mean they don't now so why would they have to then? :hammerhea

jdogginla
11-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys

Tom Brown
11-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Interesting. I had no idea building owners were required to provide a public basin for suck straw drainage.

jdogginla
11-15-2005, 03:38 PM
the interesting thing is i could see all these regulations for a regular type building.....like a strip mall or a office building that is accessible by anyone. My work property is gated and enclosed (film studio) and we control access to anyone who enters the lot. Guess i'll have to do some digg'n around tomorrow. See if there is a loop hole for us....... :squiggle:

Schiada76
11-15-2005, 03:42 PM
the interesting thing is i could see all these regulations for a regular type building.....like a strip mall or a office building that is accessible by anyone. My work property is gated and enclosed (film studio) and we control access to anyone who enters the lot. Guess i'll have to do some digg'n around tomorrow. See if there is a loop hole for us....... :squiggle:
No loophole, ADA is flat out BULLSHIT!
On the same note, how much fckning money do you think has been spent in this state for curb wheel chair ramps? :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :mad:

phebus
11-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Break out the blue paint. :cry:

barbigrl
11-15-2005, 03:57 PM
It is usually if you are "Open to the public" do you have to have handicapped parking and a handicap accessibilty in the building. However they might require it for employees.....even if you don't have anyone there that is handicapped....

Jbb
11-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Interesting. I had no idea building owners were required to provide a public basin for suck straw drainage.
I have a good reply Tom....perhaps I will pm it to you instaed.... :p

ROZ
11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Don't forget to add a ramp, escalator, or elevator for wheelchair access if you have only stairs... A buddy got sued over this and lost.... Cost him a donation and a ramp..
Another person I know got out his his suit threat because his lease was almost up and the landlord let him out early. He still had to go to court, though. The judge laughed at the plantif...

Kilrtoy
11-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, you must have Disabled parking regardless if you are fenced in and private.

Tom Brown
11-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I have a good reply Tom....perhaps I will pm it to you instaed.... :p
You pussy.
Sack up and post it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Yes, you must have Disabled parking regardless if you are fenced in and private.
I better paint one in tha hood then :D :D I can see it now.......handicap with spinning wheelchair wheels only :D :D

Brooski
11-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Kilrtoy is correct. And when and if you do any upgrades, you are required to bring the property up to current ADA compliance along with the upgrades. Every business must comply, no matter if open to the public or not.

Jbb
11-16-2005, 03:38 AM
You pussy.
Sack up and post it.
Pussy.... :D ...Thats kinda harsh...and uncalled for Brown.....
Nice signature........... :D

reb939
11-16-2005, 05:14 AM
ADA loopholes:
They can't make you spend more than 20% of your construction cost on ADA.
Example: If you want to make improvements to your existing building and the cost of construction is 100k you have to prove that you are spending at least 20k on ADA. What I can't figure out is if your building is already ADA compliant and you do an improvement to it what are you supposed to spend your 20% on.
We have also built telecommunications buildings. These buildings do not have to meet ADA standards. I understand that it has something to do with the fact that it is not feasible for a handicap employee to work in these facilities

JetBoatRich
11-16-2005, 05:32 AM
It is usually if you are "Open to the public" do you have to have handicapped parking and a handicap accessibilty in the building. However they might require it for employees.....even if you don't have anyone there that is handicapped....
I have been involved in a few new/upgraded offices buildings and had to make sure we had facilities to handle people in special need. :rolleyes:

goneboatin
11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Get this: I did some buildings in Irvine. The upstairs bathrooms needed to be handicap ADA compliant, even though there was no elevator or access for a handicapped person to get upstairs the bathrooms still needed to conform.
WTF??? :confused:

prosthogod
11-16-2005, 09:33 AM
My personal bathroom in my personal office had to be ADA compliant!!!