PDA

View Full Version : ATV Ban/Buyback

bigblockbill
11-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Wholy cow... I can not believe what I am reading It blows my mind away how far bleep (can not say what I am thinking) people will go when writing a petition. What a Crock O Crap. And that it has even gotten this far is even more amazing. Ban all kids under 16 from riding, even on private property, I don't think so. Catch this; they even want the ATV Manufactures to buy back all the 3 wheelers sold... ever....Ya right wait till Yamaha gets wind of that. Hopefully it will not go any further than to have a bunch of lame barnstormers thinking of how to intrude on everyoneÂ’s life screw everything up.
There is actually a town hall meeting about this tonight in a po dunk NM town... The AMA and possibly Blue Ribbon Cololition will be there to help defend our rights.
http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/atv_petition.pdf

imirsh1
11-16-2005, 09:19 AM
If that would actually go through imagine what a 85'-86' 250r atc would be worth?

spectratoad
11-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Is this petition being sponsored by the video game industry??? :mad: Just another way to get families in from the outside and put everyone on the couch in front of the TV.
My two boys, 12 & 13, love riding their ATV's and my wife and I head out with them whenever we can. Nothing better than loading them on a trailer, hooking up the motorhome and heading out for the weekend.
Great way to get the kids to explore, know and respect the outdoors as well as get a family together. :D
I like how they also say that they bring the petition on behalf of all it's members and all consumers who ride ATV's. HMMMMM I don't remember them asking if I would like to be included??????

Captain Dan
11-16-2005, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=spectratoad]My two boys, 12 & 13, love riding their ATV's and my wife and I head out with them whenever we can. Nothing better than loading them on a trailer, hooking up the motorhome and heading out for the weekend.
Great way to get the kids to explore, know and respect the outdoors as well as get a family together. :D [QUOTE]
and it helps to teach them self-esteem, a sense of responsibility and freedom, and prepares them to be defensive drivers. Long live off-roading (hopefully). Speak out aginst these a-holes whenever this BS flairs up.

oldbuck40
11-16-2005, 09:46 AM
just another example of the dumb ass parents buying somthing too big for their kids to ride and turning around and try to sue someone else for their stupidity!

oldbuck40
11-16-2005, 09:47 AM
these things do come with warnings and so many safty stickers on them!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
There is actually a town hall meeting about this tonight in a po dunk NM town... The AMA and possibly Blue Ribbon Cololition will be there to help defend our rights.
http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/atv_petition.pdf
I'll drop an e-mail and see if the BRC will be there...

RiverToysJas
11-16-2005, 09:58 AM
Buying back 3-wheelers doesn't make any sence if you have read the facts, as I have. I own and ride 3 1985 Honda ATC's. Including an ATC 70 that my 6yo rides. I have read the reports and the history of the first ban on manufacture, which was started in 1987 and lasted 10 years. It's no longer in affect. The long term studies since the ban have shown that 3-wheelers are not any more dangerous than quads. Honda was already fazing out ATC's when they agreed to the ban. They found through their own study that quads were more affective for utility work, which was is the base for their ATV program. The ATC's were a target by parent and consumer protection groups because they were new, starting to used in larger numbers, and people were getting hurt on them........just like poeple still get hurt today playing on ATV's.
These people who think they know better what's best for me and feel it's their duty to protect the nation from itself should be tried for treason, as that is against all that this Country was founded on.
RTJas

disco_charger
11-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I love the fact that people not involved in the activity know more about it than people who have been doing it for years.
Disco<- Has been riding three wheelers for 25 years. :cool:

pixilatedpussy
11-16-2005, 10:31 AM
This sucks! And it better not pass! My boys have been riding since they were 3 years old & they enjoy it very much, as do we as a family!!! :mad:

riverroyal
11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
dont worry PP,if it does wanna buy some kids bikes? :D

bigblockbill
11-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I talked to a guy that lives up there and here is what he had to say.
"I met the woman that was out doing this petition drive. It`s all about bad neighbor`s and no laws to prevent being abused by one. She has a neighbor with a track next door. The constant riding from the kids is the cause. The problem is the noise and dust. It should all be covered under a noise or nuisance ordinance, not just one particular situation or ignorant solution. "
So I guess I don't see it getting very far. What a B$*tch.

disco_charger
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Buying back 3-wheelers doesn't make any sence if you have read the facts, as I have. I own and ride 3 1985 Honda ATC's. Including an ATC 70 that my 6yo rides. I have read the reports and the history of the first ban on manufacture, which was started in 1987 and lasted 10 years. It's no longer in affect. The long term studies since the ban have shown that 3-wheelers are not any more dangerous than quads. Honda was already fazing out ATC's when they agreed to the ban. They found through their own study that quads were more affective for utility work, which was is the base for their ATV program. The ATC's were a target by parent and consumer protection groups because they were new, starting to used in larger numbers, and people were getting hurt on them........just like poeple still get hurt today playing on ATV's.
These people who think they know better what's best for me and feel it's their duty to protect the nation from itself should be tried for treason, as that is against all that this Country was founded on.
RTJas
I've never seen you ride the 250SX.... :confused:

pixilatedpussy
11-16-2005, 05:06 PM
dont worry PP,if it does wanna buy some kids bikes? :D
I WAS JUST GONNA ASK YOU THE SAME THING ;) :supp: :D

desertbird
11-16-2005, 05:29 PM
The pdf file in the link has a date of August 2002 on the last page. Is this still a valid petition or has it already been squashed? :argue:

desertbird
11-16-2005, 05:33 PM
This is from: http://www.atvaonline.com/News/05/rejectban.asp
ATVA applauds government report rejecting ATV ban for kids
:D :D :D
February 10, 2005 – The ATVA today praised a recommendation by the staff of the Consumer Product Safety Commission to reject a ban on the sale of full-sized ATVs for use by children under 16.
The ATVA notes that the ATV industry already adheres to a voluntary agreement not to sell full-sized ATVs to children under 16, and that further federal regulation is not necessary.
The CPSC staff recommendation to the commission arose from a request made in 2002 by the Consumer Federation of America, Bluewater Network, and the Natural Trails and Waters Coalition. Those groups asked the commission for a ban on all ATV use by those under the age of 16, but the panel said it didn't have the authority to enforce such a ban. The groups also asked the commission to ban the sale of full-sized ATVs for the use of children under 16, which is something the ATV industry already voluntarily does.
After several public hearings held by the commission in various parts of the country, and a thorough review of the testimony and facts by the CPSC staff, the staff on February 2 recommended that the commission reject the request.
It's unknown whether the three-member panel will follow the staff recommendation, or when a decision may be made.
In a 200-plus page report to the commission, the staff noted that it's unknown whether a sales ban would be effective in reducing injuries and deaths.
"In large part, this is because a sales ban would primarily address how ATVs are sold, rather than how they are used after they are purchased by consumers," the report said. "The CPSC lacks the ability to regulate or enforce how consumers use products after purchase. While the commission can affect to some degree how ATVs are sold, it cannot control the behavior of consumers or prevent adults from allowing children to ride adult-size ATVs.
"Additionally, the impact of a sales ban in the new product market would likely be limited because, under current ATV Voluntary Action Plans agreed to by industry and CPSC, major distributors already require that their dealers not sell adult-size ATVs for the use of children," the report said. "Also, consumers are informed in a number of ways at the point of sale that adult-size ATVs are not intended for the use of children.
"No data are available to show that a ban of ATVs for use by children under the age of 16 years would be more effective in preventing such use than the age recommendations in the Voluntary Action Plans," the report said.
© 2005, All Terrain Vehicle Association

77charger
11-16-2005, 05:37 PM
If that would actually go through imagine what a 85'-86' 250r atc would be worth?
like my guns you will not get them away from me.Wanted one very bad when they came out in 85 got one in 99 for 900 bucks.I have ridden quads but still like the atc.Still kicks some ass.

Flying Tiger
11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Remember it's 3 wheelers,, not 4

Redrider
11-16-2005, 08:11 PM
As some of you know I work for one of the manufactures. This stuff comes up all the time. I am sure the BRC will help, but there are enough crazy a$$ parents out there to make something like this stick. We have an office in DC that only works on these type of deals, and I am sure they are up on this one. Yeah right, buy back all ATCs... We alreeady did this in 1987, remember. Our company got hit the hardest on this by the way...
Whats next, kids killed in a car, we should ban them too???
Sometime I wonder when people will start taking back some responsiblity?
By the way, you would not believe some of the crazy lawsuits that we see...
RedRider :rollside: