PDA

View Full Version : Computer HELP!!!

phebus
11-16-2005, 10:48 AM
My wifes PC (Dell) which she has had for approx 1 year, will not accept her password, or allow her to log in. It has not been changed, and the cap locks are not set. We have restarted it several times, and it still won't work.
Help, she's pissed at me because she can't get on to pay bills. Is there a way to get past this? Please...........

Jyruiz
11-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Is the numlock turned off as well?

Flashover
11-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Num lock maybee?

Stoneman
11-16-2005, 10:51 AM
has she/you tried calling dell? Look up the problem on the internet, if you can. I bet you can find a solution.
:clover:

phebus
11-16-2005, 10:54 AM
has she/you tried calling dell? Look up the problem on the internet, if you can. I bet you can find a solution.
:clover:
From my past experience with customer support, that would be my last resort. I don't speak Indiaglese.

phebus
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Num lock is on, which is it's normal position, and the password she uses is non numerical, lower case letters only. I've tried it with caps on and off, and num lock on and off......no luck

Jyruiz
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, I would try it with an external keyboard then, if it works with the external keyboard, then the keyboard on the laptop is bad.

phebus
11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
It's not a laptop, it"s a desktop PC. I called Dell, and they said to help me solve my problem, it would start at $99.00, just to talk to a technical help person, and that was having him repeat what he was saying about three times so I could understand him.
I will grab another keyboard and plug it in, restart, and see if that works.
Thanks

Stoneman
11-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Here's one to try. it might work. restart the pc, press the F8 key during start up. Select safe mode. windows might start without a password. If it does simply create a new password and restart. Hope this helps.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Correct,
You can reset the passwords in safe mode in the users section of the control panel. If you have trouble doing it give me a call at 480-699-3432 (New Age Computers) and Ill walk you through it.
Billy

phebus
11-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Went to safe mode, went to windows as administrator, went to control panel, user accounts, and went to reset my wifes password. The computer won't allow me to type a new password in the password box, even though the cursor is flashing in the box

phebus
11-16-2005, 11:55 AM
O.K. getting somewhere. In safe mode, rather than creating a new password for my wife, I just clicked to delete her password, and when I restarted, windows opened. I hope I didn'tlose anything, and I am going to try now and create a new password for her.

Stoneman
11-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Here's a link.
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#20

Wally_Gator
11-16-2005, 12:01 PM
Here's a link.
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm#20
The pnordahl link is a good utility.

phebus
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
All is good, thanks to all that helped. The computer is working, and for now my wife is not talking to me. So far, a win/win. She will break down and talk, and for now she is up on the computer, and the quiet is nice.
THANKS!!!!!

Rexone
11-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Help, she's pissed at me because she can't get on to pay bills. Is there a way to get past this? Please...........
Another possible solution if it happens again.
Mail the bills. :)

phebus
11-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Another possible solution if it happens again.
Mail the bills. :)
That's one of the dowsides to on-line bill paying. Once you set up on-line, they stop sending you statements. So, if you want to mail them, you go online and get their address............... No online, no address, since we didn't keep the mailing addresses hard copied.
My lap top was still working fine, so we at least did have that option.....

bigq
11-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Might want to do this also:
pass key (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305478/)

KLEPTOW
11-16-2005, 03:40 PM
This company as a product that will allow you to boot-up with floppy or CD and change any of the account passwords.
http://www.dameware.com/

H2OT TIMES
11-16-2005, 04:04 PM
All is good, thanks to all that helped. The computer is working, and for now my wife is not talking to me. So far, a win/win. She will break down and talk, and for now she is up on the computer, and the quiet is nice.
THANKS!!!!!
Well, after all, this was clearly your fault.