PDA

View Full Version : JL Audio Amp Wiring?

davis777
11-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey Guys,
I am wiring 2 Amps. A JL Audio 450/4 for my mids and a 500/1 for my 12" W6 Sub.
I have two batteries in my boat, Exide Gold Deep Cycles.
Should I wire both amps to one battery so I always have a charged starting battery, or should I wire one amp to each battery and spread the load.
I just dont want to run down both batteries and not be able to turn over my 496Mag. I also do not want to add a third battery do to weight.
Any input would help, Thanks.
Robb

Outnumbered
11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Hey Guys,
I am wiring 2 Amps. A JL Audio 450/4 for my mids and a 500/1 for my 12" W6 Sub.
I have two batteries in my boat, Exide Gold Deep Cycles.
Should I wire both amps to one battery so I always have a charged starting battery, or should I wire one amp to each battery and spread the load.
I just dont want to run down both batteries and not be able to turn over my 496Mag. I also do not want to add a third battery do to weight.
Any input would help, Thanks.
Robb
I'm no audio guru but I would (and do) run all my audio off of the deep cycle batt. Get a Perko switch and keep your starting batt charged up and never use it to run the audio while stopped. Better set up would be to run two deep cycles on the 2nd bank for audio and one cranking batt for bank 1.

BADASS38CHEVY
11-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I would run both to the stereo and have a portable jumper with you along with compact size jumper cables.Just make sure your jumper is always charged before using.The amps draw alot of power so you will drain them pretty quick.Im running 2 1000/1 and 3 300/4 with 2 oddessy 2150.I can run 3 hours at a 1/3 volume.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=86939&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500, http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=86940&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

BADASS38CHEVY
11-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Here's were i got mine. 1 of these will get you about 2 to 2 1/2 hours of stereo time. No other battery beat these batteries.These batteries have a really long reserve amp hours time unless you go with The batteries that Shadow runs in his boat which I believe are submarine batteries. If you got rid of your batteries and got 2 of the 2150 your set.http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc2150.htm

Flashover
11-17-2005, 06:34 AM
[ Better set up would be to run two deep cycles on the 2nd bank for audio and one cranking batt for bank 1.[/QUOTE]
This is the ideal setup with the perko switch and 3 batteries. :crossx: :crossx:

TrojanDan
11-17-2005, 10:39 AM
First time I installed my system, I had one JL 450/4 amp (powering two pairs of BA 6.5 pros and one pair of BA 6x9's) and one JL 1001 amp (powering 2 10w7's) running off of one dedicated Optima blue top. The battery lasted only one CD at loud volume. I since added a second blue top dedicated for the system and haven't had any more problems since I monitor the loudness (let others be the sandbar dj). I have another Optima Bluetop starting battery (dark grey case) dedicated for the starting/boat battery so I don't have to worry about killing the batteries. In total, I have three batteries.
If you don't plan on adding a second stereo battery, I suggest you buy one of those portable battery jumper things or keep a pair of jumper cables in your boat (like everyone above said). You have good amps, use them. :cool:
I've since added a third amp, JL 300/4 and still run it off my two dedicated batteries. Like I said, I let others be the sandbar dj and drain their batteries, but when I'm chilling on a beach or a cove alone, I've never had problems killing my batteries as long as I play my music at moderate levels.

rivercrazy
11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
You really do need a 3 battery setup. Two for stereo and one for engine starting duty.
I also have Optima Blue top deep cycle batteries. The two I'm using for stereo just finished their 5th hard summer of use and are still going like brand new. I have a 3 amp setup with 1 1200 watt subamp, 1 695 amp two channel amp, and 1 360 watt 2 channel amp.
But like TD said, if you want to be sandbar DJ, you really need more than just a few batteries will give you. If your going that route, think generator

Cole Trickle
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
My boat came with 2 interstates and I added 2 Odyssey 1700's for the stereo.
I wired the stereo only off the Odysseys using a second perko switch.I can play most if not all of the day on the two 1700's.(1500 watts)
I did this because my batteries have left me stranded more than one time.Now when the stereo stops playing I know it's time to head for home.(We charge nightly)

h2oski2fast
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
We use 6 Oddysey 1200s. At the time no one made billet battery boxes for the 1700s.

ROZ
11-17-2005, 04:29 PM
We use 6 Oddysey 1200s. At the time no one made billet battery boxes for the 1700s.
And to think I thought Havasu Hangin had the battery bardge...lol :D

Riverkid
11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
^^^ There's a reason why that thing runs a big turbo motor, Roz... :rolleyes:

Riverkid
11-17-2005, 07:05 PM
For the batteries or the billet boxes??? Ouch!

Riverkid
11-17-2005, 08:04 PM
B-O-A-T you've got that right. Must be the guys like you that got Dana into that sweet new building!!! What are you into for just the speaker cable?

Riverkid
11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
That's a chitload of wire. Looking forward to hearing it on the upper sand bar next summer... :)

BADASS38CHEVY
11-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Both. My cost is $300 a pop for both. I have four now, well I have two and two on order. When the boxes come in they still have to go to Dana for powder coating. Break Out Another Thousand. :D
SB,I used Alumin-Art Plating out of Ontario for my Powder Coating on my Billet battery trays and my my speaker grills.They do bitchen work and they are very fast and really reasonable on pricing.I refered Extreme Audio to them after mine was done and now the send speaker grills to them.The phone # is 909-983-1866 ask for Jerry.They also do anidizing too.

BADASS38CHEVY
11-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I believe that that all of the colors are candy colors.I put 1 coat of blue candy powder coat on my speaker grills. It gives it a more transparent look than just a blue power coat look with 2 coats..Almost looks like blue anidized.Came out really nice.I would take a sample just to be sure.