PDA

View Full Version : beware cashiers checks

pleasantcat
11-18-2005, 05:00 PM
we had a lil pickup for sale. after taking all the calls i get one and the guy wants to come see it. seems he has a used lot and promised another truck to his customer but his partner had it sold.so, he needed one asap to get this customer taken care of. he and a partner came to look at it and they bought it. cashiers check from b of a. my gal was alone and questioned the check (at least she was cautious) but the bank said yes thats our check. she accepts the check and away they go with her truck. she runs to the bank asap only to have the cashier laugh and say," what should i do with this?" she by now realizes she's been had.
b of a told her to file with glendale p.d. and the fbi so now it's a waiting game.
so, after my new/old a.o. thats a nightmare for the past month to this :mad:
we're ready for some good luck....please....soon...

H20 Toie
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
we had a lil pickup for sale. after taking all the calls i get one and the guy wants to come see it. seems he has a used lot and promised another truck to his customer but his partner had it sold.so, he needed one asap to get this customer taken care of. he and a partner came to look at it and they bought it. cashiers check from b of a. my gal was alone and questioned the check (at least she was cautious) but the bank said yes thats our check. she accepts the check and away they go with her truck. she runs to the bank asap only to have the cashier laugh and say," what should i do with this?" she by now realizes she's been had.
b of a told her to file with glendale p.d. and the fbi so now it's a waiting game.
so, after my new/old a.o. thats a nightmare for the past month to this :mad:
we're ready for some good luck....please....soon...
There is a lot of that going around but you should always get the drivers license of anyone you sell a car to.

pleasantcat
11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
did and gave that info to the police. if you can make a check that good chances are the i.d. was fake.

HocusPocus
11-18-2005, 05:45 PM
i was burned by a company check once.. but never a cashiers check. over the past couple years anytime i sold something i always insisted on cash.
hope they catch the f*ckers!

Rexone
11-18-2005, 06:12 PM
We've had several counterfiet cashiers checks. Not too hard to make with todays computer technology.

Mardonzi
11-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Reporting the truck as stolen is probably a good thing too. Get the VIN into the NCIC.

gqchris
11-18-2005, 08:31 PM
That is also going around alot on Ebay and Craigs List etc. I have warned all my friends about this, one insisted on taking a $8000 one for a BMW on Ebay. Said he took it to the bank, (His friend even), she approved it said it was legit, BANG, it comes back a week later! I was like, I TOLD U!!! Now he has no cash and no car and a long waiting game! :mad:

H20 Toie
11-18-2005, 10:16 PM
did and gave that info to the police. if you can make a check that good chances are the i.d. was fake.
Good point i guess i'm not that smart either. F ing thieves.

KLEPTOW
11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
If they have a cashier check, you both go to the bank and have him cash the cashier check with you right there cash goes directly into your hands.
Not much chance the bank is going to give you Counterfeit money. The key is check to teller cash to your hand.
If you always remember one thing in Life you cant go wrong.
''''In God I Trust all others Pay Cash''''

topless
11-19-2005, 02:58 AM
I sold a car once to a guy said he was a car dealer and against my better judgement, took a personal check. Went to the bank the next day and it was not good. I was going to report it stolen but he assured me it was good so I went back and the bank cashed it. Scared the crap out of for a few hours though.

cdog
11-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Does the insurance Co consider you're truck stolen? I'm getting alot of those emails on my Sub and I tell them that nothin leave's untill the check cash's.

KLEPTOW
11-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Who said anything about non-customer bank?
Yes they will put the money on the counter for you to pick-up, with payers permission.
I guess the Tellers name was nobody, because I have done this exact scenario numorus times.
Regardless of non-customer or not, thats what a cashiers check is supposed to be for.
Not to mention you can cash a cashier check with out any ID, It's called letter of credit from the payer.

pleasantcat
11-20-2005, 10:08 AM
well....3am sunday we got a call from pd. they have the truck and its in inpound for us to pick it up. said it doesnt look to be harmed at all! we get a second chance at this :D
from now on...cash is king!!

HP350SC
11-20-2005, 10:18 AM
My understanding of the cashier's check scams was that the bank WILL put the cash IN YOUR HAND, then contact later saying check was no good and now you're fuc**d!

Magic34
11-20-2005, 10:21 AM
I always do any of my deals at my bank and have them verify that the check is good before signing the title over to someone.
Besides a deal going down at the bank feels more legit as well.

OnlyMoney
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Saw this on our local new here in Vegas. I guess the FBI know's about it... (http://www.ic3.gov)
Hope that helps you and many others, from what I can tell.

Mardonzi
11-21-2005, 04:49 PM
well....3am sunday we got a call from pd. they have the truck and its in inpound for us to pick it up. said it doesnt look to be harmed at all! we get a second chance at this :D
from now on...cash is king!!
Glad to hear some good news out of this....

2Driver
11-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Even a real cashiers check can be cancelled or stopped like a regular check. So there is some risk with a real one.