PDA

View Full Version : 496 ho x drive

bfab33
11-19-2005, 01:04 AM
How many of you have had your stock bravo drive go bad? I was at Mohave two weeks ago and my gears grenaded in my drive. I have to get a whole new drive. Who has had this happen? My boat only has 80 hours on it. I got it at the beginning of summer this year.

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2005, 01:22 AM
How many of you have had your stock bravo drive go bad? I was at Mohave two weeks ago and my gears grenaded in my drive. I have to get a whole new drive. Who has had this happen? My boat only has 80 hours on it. I got it at the beginning of summer this year.
Not to say anything bad but I just heard of a 6 drive going bad on a fairly new boat also.
Years ago (3-5) the cup trans gears were going bad all the time.
Now all the gears go to one shop before install.

THOR
11-19-2005, 07:38 AM
I havent heard anything like that YET. Sorry brother. Your HO isnt putting out power that will cause a major problem for your drive.

Havasu Hangin'
11-19-2005, 07:49 AM
I believe there was a guy on here awhile ago that had that happen. I think Merc replaced it as defective.

voodoomedman
11-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Now I'm not a genius about these things but I have to ask. Have you had your drive alignment checked within those 80 hours. Between your first 20-30 hours you should have your first service and one of the things that need to be done is your drive pulled off and the alignment checked.

Havasu Hangin'
11-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Now I'm not a genius about these things but I have to ask. Have you had your drive alignment checked within those 80 hours. Between your first 20-30 hours you should have your first service and one of the things that need to be done is your drive pulled off and the alignment checked.
I think the alignment would hurt the coupler or the u-joint...but I'm not sure about the gearset.

Throttle
11-19-2005, 08:36 AM
yikes... sounds like you are still under warranty, merc will handle it for you. I would be interested in what they say happened to it though and why... good luck.

shadow
11-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Had some gears go south on mine after a couple of seasons,caught it before
any major damage occured and had XR gears installed.Knock on wood,no problems since.

mike37
11-19-2005, 09:01 AM
I believe there was a guy on here awhile ago that had that happen. I think Merc replaced it as defective.
I was one that had the drive go bad uper gears
and the was another guy to same thing
my drive was out of warranty but they replaced it for me
had to call merc rep told him this was the drive that was sold with my motor and it shouldn't go bad
he had me take it to a certified mechanic to check for evidence of me hitting rocks or abuse after that they replaced the top end and payed for every thing
it took a month to get it dun but it was free
in my opinion merc backed there product and gave me great service

phebus
11-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Another reason for top end failure in the drive is if you have off shore type controls, and you don't have the throttle completely pulled back before shifting.

bfab33
11-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes I did have the engine aligned at about 70 hours. I also changed the oil after 20 hours, then also at 70 hours. Mercury is replacing the whole drive for free - upper and lower. But, I was just surprised that the drive went bad so quickly. I also have been very careful about shifting and I have never struck anything in the water - yet.

Patyacht
11-19-2005, 09:53 AM
I also lost upper gears on XR drive. Had to wait on parts which may give a clue of more problems with uppers. Merc did step up and cover parts even though I had 3 years and 120 hrs on the drive.

River918
11-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Funny this topic would come up. I am currently deciding if I should go with an XR drive on my new boat. I am getting the Mag/Ho and full Hydraulic steering, just trying to decide if I should get the XR also; just to be on the safe side..........Just more $$$$$$, I guess. :)

Beer-30
11-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Funny this topic would come up. I am currently deciding if I should go with an XR drive on my new boat. I am getting the Mag/Ho and full Hydraulic steering, just trying to decide if I should get the XR also; just to be on the safe side..........Just more $$$$$$, I guess. :)
Pay now or pay later. However, if you are wanting an aftermarket drive like a Worx or Teague, save the money for that. That's how I see it.

shockwavebd
11-19-2005, 01:03 PM
lost my starboad drive (XR) two weeks ago only 60 hours

River918
11-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Can you PM me the price for the XR?.....

slink
11-19-2005, 05:36 PM
That's what happens when you're WOT right off the trailer :p

BADASS38CHEVY
11-19-2005, 07:38 PM
What all is done on a 20hr service.And what should be done or checked that mercury doesnt list on 20 hr service.

voodoomedman
11-19-2005, 09:38 PM
What all is done on a 20hr service.And what should be done or checked that mercury doesnt list on 20 hr service.
I think pretty much oil change and check fluids and stuff and anything else for signs of abnormal wear. Also check drive alignment and stuff. If your guys good he'll take care of your trailer and stuff.
Let me put it to you this way. Your boat is near Parker Dam. Take that sucker to Aaron at Absolute Speed & Marine to get it serviced and you won't have to ask any questions. Just tell him to take care of what's supposed to be taken care of and he will for a reasonable price.

BADASS38CHEVY
11-19-2005, 10:51 PM
I think pretty much oil change and check fluids and stuff and anything else for signs of abnormal wear. Also check drive alignment and stuff. If your guys good he'll take care of your trailer and stuff.
Let me put it to you this way. Your boat is near Parker Dam. Take that sucker to Aaron at Absolute Speed & Marine to get it serviced and you won't have to ask any questions. Just tell him to take care of what's supposed to be taken care of and he will for a reasonable price.
Aaron at Absolute Speed & Marine. Thats who I was planning on taking it to.I just wanted to know before I took it,thanks.

Outnumbered
11-19-2005, 11:51 PM
I'd second that. Just tell him to set you up with a K&N 3002 oil filter. I was kinda shocked to see that he put a POS Fram on my rig after all the good things I have heard about his shop. I guess I'll swap it out myself. Worth the extra $10 IMHO.

shadow
11-20-2005, 07:08 AM
I'd second that. Just tell him to set you up with a K&N 3002 oil filter. I was kinda shocked to see that he put a POS Fram on my rig after all the good things I have heard about his shop. I guess I'll swap it out myself. Worth the extra $10 IMHO.
Just curious,not to contradict or start a fued.
I've seen Fram filters on many high performance engines as well as stockers.
They've been around for decades and i'd be willing to bet that there are Fram filters on a higher percentage of boat engines than any other brand.K&N are definately a quality choice, I'd be happy with a K&N as well.Just curious what your experience is with Fram? :)

GHT
11-20-2005, 07:13 AM
PM Vegasbaby. He had a Brovo 3 hooked to his 502 and it shelled. He is now running an XR drive, and I believe the cost was VERY minimal. He might be able to help you.

bigq
11-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Just run the Volvo DPX and you would have no problems at all. That Merc stuff is for the birds, weak to say the least. :rolleyes:

Beer-30
11-20-2005, 08:07 AM
They've been around for decades and i'd be willing to bet that there are Fram filters on a higher percentage of boat engines than any other brand.K&N are definately a quality choice, I'd be happy with a K&N as well.Just curious what your experience is with Fram? :)
Yeah, not meaning to switch the thread to filters, but I run a mix of Fram and Mobil-1 filters.
I have no doubts that the K&N is superior to a FRAM in it's own ways, but I have never had a reason to question FRAM. I have ran them for years on all types of motors and haven't had one failure. To each their own. I probably will run a 3002 next time, but there's a FRAM on it right now. Seems just fine.

mike37
11-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Just run the Volvo DPX and you would have no problems at all. That Merc stuff is for the birds, weak to say the least. :rolleyes:
I think your right
when I got my merc drive fixed
I asked the mechanic if he he new the HP rating for the Volvo drives
hi didn't know that but he did tell me the for comparable drives the Volvo stuff
was bigger and better stronger compared to the merce drives

shadow
11-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Yeah, not meaning to switch the thread to filters, but I run a mix of Fram and Mobil-1 filters.
I have no doubts that the K&N is superior to a FRAM in it's own ways, but I have never had a reason to question FRAM. I have ran them for years on all types of motors and haven't had one failure. To each their own. I probably will run a 3002 next time, but there's a FRAM on it right now. Seems just fine.
Thats kinda what i was thinking. :)

bfab33
11-20-2005, 08:03 PM
I just changed the oils and lubed everything just because it was cheap.

ELVIS
11-20-2005, 09:45 PM
Fram filters have always scared me. just take a look in one they look cheap, secondly they don't weigh much (less filter inside ?) I always go with K&N or WIX. just my two cents.