PDA

View Full Version : Baldwin's plane crashes returning from Baja

essexjet
11-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Just heard on the news that Baldwins plane crashed off the coast in orange county. News said that the plane left mexico and stopped at San Diego and then was headed to OC when it went into the ocean. All four on board are presumed dead.
Please Pray for them today.
Found this on the net:
Four men are presumed dead after their small plane crashed into deep, chilly waters about 3 nautical miles west of Dana Point this afternoon, authorities said.
The four occupants, whose bodies have not been recovered, were in Mexico for the Baja 1000 off-road race and were flying in clear weather when their Cessna 210 went down at about 2 p.m. for unknown reasons, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Tony Migliorini.
The plane is registered to a Newport Beach company, TR Builder Corp., according to Federal Aviation Administration records. The owner, James Baldwin, was a former executive of home-building giant Baldwin Co., which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1995. James Baldwin was not on the plane, Migliorini said.
James Baldwin's sons, Jason and Josh, are well known competitors in championship off-road racing. It is unclear whether either was aboard the plane. James Baldwin, a former desert racer himself, recently purchased an off-road racing series and relocated it to southern California.
The fixed-wing Cessna, built in 1980, took off from San Felipe, Mexico, Saturday morning and stopped in San Diego for customs purposes, Migliorini said. The plane then left Brown Field Municipal Airport at an unknown time.
It is not clear if John Wayne Airport was the planeÂ’s final destination. An emergency call came in at 2:03 p.m. from Jim Wehan, captain on the historical tallship Spirit of Dana Point, U.S. Coast Guard and Orange County SheriffÂ’s Department officials said.
Wehan, a crew and about 38 passengers were about 3 miles out on a daysail when he heard first mate John Kraus, 34, yelling from the bow.
At first, Wehan thought Kraus was yelling about dolphins. Then he heard "plane!"
Kraus had been watching the plane fly about 400 feet above the water.
"I thought it was doing a trick, like a corkscrew," he said.
But the plane, less than 100 yards from the boat, kept spiraling down. Kraus realized there was no engine sound.
"I was a little afraid it would hit the boat," he said. "It was coming down fairly quick."
The Cessna hit the water with a loud splash, breaking off the planeÂ’s tail section, Kraus said. It sank within 15 seconds.
"It dropped like a rock," Wehan said. "It was amazing."
Wehan made an emergency "May Day" call and stopped the boat. By the time he ran from the helm to the bow, the plane was disappearing below the surface, leaving a 50-foot area of debris.
Wehan launched inflatable boats and Kraus motored over to the scene of the crash. All he saw was a fuselage door. He smelled airplane fuel in the air.
A Coast Guard Auxiliary boat, a helicopter from Air Station Los Angeles and a Coast Guard Response Boat responded to the emergency call, joined by the Orange County SheriffÂ’s Dana Point Harbor Patrol.
Kraus saw Coast Guard officials pull a camera bag and food bags from the debris.
"WeÂ’re feeling like we were extremely fortunate that it didnÂ’t land right on top of us," Wehan said.
The Orange County SheriffÂ’s Department Underwater Search and Rescue Team used sonar equipment to locate the wreckage at about 7 p.m., marking the spot and passing the investigation to the Federal Aviation Administration, said Lt. Erin Guidice.
Earlier Saturday, Jason Baldwin finished 19th among four-wheel vehicles out of 342 starters in the Baja 1000, blowing past the finish line in his Ford F-150 at around 2 a.m. after 18 hours behind the wheel, said Dominic Clark, media relations director for SCORE Desert Racing. Josh Baldwin finished ahead of his brother, coming in 11th overall.
In 2004, Jason won the season point championship in the trophy truck

essexjet
11-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Associated Press
DANA POINT, Calif. - Four people are believed dead after a plane crash in the ocean off Orange County.
Authorities tonight say they used sonar to locate the intact Cessna 210 about three miles off of Dana Point.
The plane is 200 feet underwater and four bodies are believed to be inside. It will be raised Monday.
The identities of the victims have not been released.
The plane crashed shortly after two this afternoon. The Orange County Sheriff's Department says the aircraft took off from Brown Field in San Diego County and may have been heading for John Wayne Airport.
A boater saw the plane crash and notified authorities.
The cause of the accident is under investigation.

boater72
11-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Jason Baldwin's father, James, told the Coast Guard as of 4 p.m. Saturday that Baldwin was on the plane, Migliorini said. A man who answered James Baldwin's door Saturday night at his Laguna Beach home said that Baldwin did not want to comment until the rest of his family was notified of what happened. Jason Baldwin and his brother Josh were in Mexico for the Baja 1000 off-road race. The plane was on its way to John Wayne Airport, flying in clear weather, when the Cessna 210 went down at about 2 p.m. for unknown reasons.
R.I.P.

Mrs.Racer277
11-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Terrible news.
God Speed.

riverroyal
11-20-2005, 10:00 AM
sad news,they have done alot for offroad racing.

Dusty Times
11-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Our prayers go out to their families. The have done alot for off road racing and had just started to do much more.
I'm still not sure why they had to mention the bankrupsy in this statement. Kinda shitty timing I think.
God Speed!

essexjet
11-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Our prayers go out to their families. The have done alot for off road racing and had just started to do much more.
I'm still not sure why they had to mention the bankrupsy in this statement. Kinda shitty timing I think.
God Speed!
That was taken from the OC register, yeah I can't believe they would put that in the article after 10 years.

Rexone
11-20-2005, 11:10 AM
God Speed!
Typical media.
Godspeed to them.

JB in so cal
11-20-2005, 12:33 PM
The Skipper of the Tall Ship is a long time family friend. Plane almost fell on them...
God Speed.

duffster
11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
This is very shitty news.

bunny 166
11-20-2005, 05:46 PM
I know the pilot...He has 3 children. Please pray for the wife/family...they are devastated, understandably so....

Riverkid
11-20-2005, 06:01 PM
This is just terrible... :frown: :frown: :frown:
LAGUNA BEACH, CA (November 20, 2005) It is with deep sadness that the Baldwin family must share the tragic news that Jason Baldwin, a father, son and brother, died in a plane crash along with longtime family pilot, Dan Newsome, and two close friends, Jeff TenEyke and Rick Olausen on their way home from the SCORE Baja 1000 yesterday. The family has found comfort knowing that Jason spent the last day of his life doing what he loved, racing through the Baja desert.
Jason had a strong faith and an unmatched zest for life, living it to the fullest every day. Throughout his racing career, highlighted by a CORR Pro-4 Championship and a SCORE Trophy Truck Championship in 2004, Jason made many friends in the off-road world. Now, the family asks those friends and the entire racing community to help them celebrate JasonÂ’s life and keep them in their thoughts and prayers.
The Baldwin and Renezeder families
Godspeed to Jason, Jeff, Dan, and Rick; condolences to all who knew and loved them.

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2005, 06:05 PM

cola
11-20-2005, 06:08 PM
GOD SPEED
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9604&d=1132536808
http://www.baja.net/photobb/data/585/6DSC_2560.jpg

essexjet
11-20-2005, 06:30 PM
May you rest in peace Jason Bladwin, it was fun and exciting watching you race.

duffster
11-20-2005, 07:33 PM
GOD SPEED
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9604&d=1132536808
http://www.baja.net/photobb/data/585/6DSC_2560.jpg
My prayers go out to their families.This is the worst news, 05 is a bad year since I lost my brother in a similar incident this year. Craig

02HoWaRd26
11-21-2005, 07:27 AM
That is definatly horrible for that family or any at that acount they were doing so much for the sport hopefully as they have the continue to keep upi the work they had put into it, in his name and memory as well as the others in the incident. godspeed