PDA

View Full Version : Warren Miller "Higher Ground"

Froggystyle
11-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Going December 2nd in La Jolla.
Anyone else going??? Supposed to be the return of the flying squirrel suit. Bigger, badder, more squirrelly.
I live for this every year. Gets me fired up for the snowboarding season. Only bummer is, every time it makes me want to go trying the skis on again.
So... anyone else going???

RiverOtter
11-22-2005, 04:09 AM
Going December 18th in La Jolla.
Anyone else going??? Supposed to be the return of the flying squirrel suit. Bigger, badder, more squirrelly.
I live for this every year. Gets me fired up for the snowboarding season. Only bummer is, every time it makes me want to go trying the skis on again.
So... anyone else going???
I viewed the trailer on his website...... :2purples:

Sleek-Jet
11-22-2005, 04:16 AM
Warren Miller movies almost make me want to go get the skis out of storage... almost... :D Miller films rock though. I used to catch them at either the Gas Light of the College theater in Durango when I lived in Colorado.
I would like winter sports if it were warmer outside and the girls had less clothes on... :idea: :D :D

BarryMac
11-22-2005, 07:20 AM
His films are bad ass, when I lived at Lake Tahoe we use to get special previews of his flicks. It definitely makes me want to strap on the skis again and see if after 17 years off of them if I could do it again...

hoolign
11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
2-plankers :D ...I'm one of em too! :rollside:

BarryMac
11-22-2005, 07:55 AM
If God wanted you to ski on one board he would've given you one leg, imho...

RiverOtter
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
His films are bad ass, when I lived at Lake Tahoe we use to get special previews of his flicks. It definitely makes me want to strap on the skis again and see if after 17 years off of them if I could do it again...
I took an 8 year break and came back almost as good :cool: . Couldn't do bumps worth a crap but then again never was real good at them anyway :D

Froggystyle
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
If God wanted you to ski on one board he would've given you one leg, imho...
I grew up on skis, skied every weekend at Squaw where the parents had a run-side condo. Loved it.
Then a funny thing happenned. I traveled to Switzerland and saw this thing that looked like a surfboard/skateboard for the first time. They called it, loosely translated, a "snowboard" and I gave it a try. No edges, all plywood and you clipped in with ski bindings. Little did I know that people in Vermont had done a pretty good job refining the whole deal already. That was 1986.
After I got back, I ordered a Burton board and started boarding. Funny thing was, nobody had really started doing it on the west coast much yet. I remember vividly being one of only five or so people on the whole slope in Squaw Valley. One of the other guys was a buddy of mine who had bought a Barfoot mail order and neither of us knew how to get on a lift with them. The lifts is Switzerland were rope tows, and you never had to get out of the board to ride them. It took us a couple of spills to figure out how to take the back foot out and make it on a lift. Most people had never seen one before. One other guy was out there with a weird ski too called a "Mono-ski" which was just a big wide ski with bindings really close together.
Little did I know, that trip was one of the first days Squaw had been open for snowboarders. There was evidently a vocal local contingent of riders that had been lobbying for opening up the park for some time. Who knew???
I do remember climbing up the back side of "Shirley Lake" from "Cornice I"... (something I never would have done in ski boots but the early Sorel boots I used for snowboarding worked great) and charging down a very steep non-groomed slope with about 1' of powder. After accellerating quietly and smoothly down the whole face I made a really big bottom turn and completely gave my heart to snowboarding. I have not skiied since.
But, Miller movies always make me want to go find some skis and give it hell again although I am sure that like most other things I have moved on from, I will remember all of the reasons I moved on.
So... who's going?

Sherpa
11-22-2005, 09:41 AM
MY buddy from college was from Tahoe City..... my first year in school we
both racked up about 68 days in tahoe..... ahh, that was a fun year........
I got to be with the "IN" crowd of locals.... lotsa fun. We lived for the
Warren Miller movies for a few years........
And Froggy, I'm envious about the folks condo at Squaw.... we mostly skied
at Squaw..............
--Sherpa

BarryMac
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
MY buddy from college was from Tahoe City..... my first year in school we
both racked up about 68 days in tahoe..... ahh, that was a fun year........
I got to be with the "IN" crowd of locals.... lotsa fun. We lived for the
Warren Miller movies for a few years........
And Froggy, I'm envious about the folks condo at Squaw.... we mostly skied
at Squaw..............
--Sherpa
68 days is pretty good, I grew up about 20 miles or so from Tahoe City, I skied every weekend plus had Ski PE on top of going to the hill after school, was a member of the North Lake Tahoe Ski Team and a member of the Junior Ski Patrol, it was my life from the age of 3 until 17 when we moved away, in fact I was watching a TV show the other day while laying on the couch recovering from Knee surgery, the OLN channel was doing a special on Crested Butte, made me want to strap the skis on and try a Helicopter or two...

nhbuoy
11-22-2005, 11:11 AM
...Het Wes...If you were a "local" @ Squaw, do you know the Standteiner(sp?) family out of Incline...I know/knew Barbara pretty well...she was on the woman's pro tour as I was exiting the men's tour...She has a couple brothers & sisters that are great skiers as well...BTW...The last time I was @ Squaw, your governor (Arnold) "hit" on my wife in the jacuzzi...Real nice guy...had a couple beers together in the tub...He skiis like a muscle builder btw...

Froggystyle
11-22-2005, 12:53 PM
I unfortunately was a "local" in the condo complex. We sold the place before I turned 16, so I had no game at all... I never sat in a Jacuzzi there... :(
But, the new center was just getting built when we were there. None of the new complex was there yet when my folks bought there. Anyone recognize "Squaw Creek Villa"?
Things I remember well... Christy Hill restaraunt. I remember back when the Ice rink was still in the parking lot from the Olympics. No night skiing, and you could ski down Red Dog still, just stay off of the jumps. I remember KT22 becoming one of the first lit ski slopes in the area. I loved hot chocolate up on the Gold Coast lodge, and remember vividly when High Camp didn't have any pools, ice rinks, ski schools or offices. One store to buy expensive goggles from when you lost yours and cafeteria food.
I loved that place. It got real hoidy toidy quickly though in the eighties. Someone dumped a pile of money into the place (offshore investors I think) and it became THE place to go. Which meant huge crowds and way expensive. Tickets were $18/day when we started for adults. Season pass was $320.
I also remember the first skis I had. "Hart's" and they were orange and ugly. Couldn't lose them though. Good thing for kids. Went from them to K2s, Rossignols and Olins. Stopped at the last set of Rossignols which were some of the first fat skis. Switched to boards.
Damn... I need to start hitting the slopes again. We need a Hot Boat day at Mammoth.
Anyone in???

hoolign
11-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I also remember the first skis I had. "Hart's" and they were orange and ugly. Couldn't lose them though. Good thing for kids. Went from them to K2s, Rossignols and Olins. Stopped at the last set of Rossignols which were some of the first fat skis. Switched to boards.
I still have an old "Give me K2..or give me HEAD" shirt from back in the day.
:D

canuck1
11-22-2005, 02:40 PM
That is true

canuck1
11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
How about a ***boat day in Jackson? Anyone in?

Froggystyle
11-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I still have an old "Give me K2..or give me HEAD" shirt from back in the day.
:D
Dad had some Head skis. Loved 'em.
I forgot, I had some Fischers too...

Mardonzi
11-22-2005, 04:00 PM
I hung up the boards about 8 years ago after growing up at Brighton just outside of Salt Lake,, Dad was a Patrolman there and I did one season before my ACL decided that skiing wasn't in my future...
I never tried boarding, but I did get run over by my fair share,, even by one the day I was taking my ski test for the Ski Patrol... Fond memories...

NorCalCat
11-22-2005, 05:04 PM
This year more skiing than boarding. Not as funny but great footage. The squirrel suite was killer!

Froggystyle
11-22-2005, 05:14 PM
This year more skiing than boarding. Not as funny but great footage. The squirrel suite was killer!
We need to go run up the Delta this coming year.
Good to hear it was awesome. I can't wait.

Sleek-Jet
11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I can remember when they were banning snowboards on the slopes... '85 or '86, sometime in there. Man, times have changed... terrain parks now, and skiers are "old school"...lol.
I remember "old school" being the hippies on their telemark gear. :D Anyone remember the mono-skis?? How about the short "ballett" freestyle skis??
The last time I hit the slopes, parabolic skis hadn't even been thought of.
If I was in SD, I'd go with you guys to catch Miller's film...

Froggystyle
11-22-2005, 05:39 PM
If I was in SD, I'd go with you guys to catch Miller's film...
Come down and go with us. Roz has done so much for me over the years (including today with a bitchin 42" Plasma...) that I gave him a pair of tickets for it.
They are available, and Ajo ain't that far... We have plenty of room if you want to make a road trip. It is like 3.5 hours, right???
Actually, after checking it out on a map, you should be joining us in Martinez (North of Yuma) during the summer. Probably the closest river spot to you, eh?

Sleek-Jet
11-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Come down and go with us. Roz has done so much for me over the years (including today with a bitchin 42" Plasma...) that I gave him a pair of tickets for it.
They are available, and Ajo ain't that far... We have plenty of room if you want to make a road trip. It is like 3.5 hours, right???
Actually, after checking it out on a map, you should be joining us in Martinez (North of Yuma) during the summer. Probably the closest river spot to you, eh?
Well actually... East Ajo = Tucson... It's a long story, ask Jordy. :D
I would almost consider coming out for a weekend for a quick vacation, but I'm going to be in Colorado then for a couple days.
As far as Martinez, I've been wanting to check it out. Next summer for sure.

wsuwrhr
11-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Damn Froggy,
I didn't know old guys like you even knew HOW to bolt on a snowboard.
Sounds like we do need to arrange to arrange a ***boat trip this season. In between building boats that is.
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-22-2005, 08:32 PM
In my snowboarding gearbag I have my Sims "All Mountain" board and my first board, an OG Burton "downhill" board, as a spare, just in case. 'Cause that is just how I roll.
Brian

Froggystyle
11-23-2005, 12:53 PM
In my snowboarding gearbag I have my Sims "All Mountain" board and my first board, an OG Burton "downhill" board, as a spare, just in case. 'Cause that is just how I roll.
Brian
Still trying to find an old "Nitro" asymetrical board I rented once. I loved it and never found another.

nhbuoy
11-23-2005, 01:32 PM
...HART HORNETs are what you had (best kid's race ski at the time)...If they were red w/a black stripe they were JAVELIN XXLs...I will BOTL for that NITRO board...and to think the snowboard evolved from a lame toy called a SNURFER..... :cry: :idea: ...lol..fyi...the Standteiner family have a bit of a ski reputation around the lake...Her bro was on the US ski team for a bit...nice boat you came up with btw...

Froggystyle
11-23-2005, 03:44 PM
...HART HORNETs are what you had (best kid's race ski at the time)...If they were red w/a black stripe they were JAVELIN XXLs...I will BOTL for that NITRO board...and to think the snowboard evolved from a lame toy called a SNURFER..... :cry: :idea: ...lol..fyi...the Standteiner family have a bit of a ski reputation around the lake...Her bro was on the US ski team for a bit...nice boat you came up with btw...
They may have been. I know they worked well, and I used them until I was way too big for them.
That Nitro board kicked ass. Good stuff. I don't even know where to start looking for them. I actually thought it was a 1992 or 93 Burton, but I guess they never made a "nitro" so it must have been the brand Nitro.
All I know is that it was asymettrical and I loved it. Great freeride board.

ROZ
11-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Yep :cool: Trailer is sick, can't wait...
I've always been an Atomic fan... Use to have a hot set of GS Skis 215's... I hear they don't even make them that long anymore...lol

wsuwrhr
11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Still trying to find an old "Nitro" asymetrical board I rented once. I loved it and never found another.
Asymetrical, REAL old school stuff, older than my "downhill" deal.
Ever try ebay?
Brian

wsuwrhr
11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
BTW,
I still don't know the association with Warren Miller, or who he is, but any snowboarding thread is a good one.
Brian

Froggystyle
12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
This movie totally kicks ass. I want to go boarding right now!
Movie is on intermission. More later...

SandbarScot
12-03-2005, 01:00 AM
I gotta see this movie.
Grew up a 2-planker, learned to ski at Northstar the year they opened (75-76) and finally moved to the Tahoe area North of Truckee in the late 80's.
With a season pass at Sugarbowl, my skills sharpened. Those were good times. But came back to So.Cal and switched to the snowboard. I only go back once a year now :frown:

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Anyone going to go see this???
http://www.firstdescentmovie.com/

Lightning
12-03-2005, 07:45 PM
They may have been. I know they worked well, and I used them until I was way too big for them.
That Nitro board kicked ass. Good stuff. I don't even know where to start looking for them. I actually thought it was a 1992 or 93 Burton, but I guess they never made a "nitro" so it must have been the brand Nitro.
All I know is that it was asymettrical and I loved it. Great freeride board.
Burton made an asymetrial board in 1992 called the "asym air". My buddy's brother lived in a Condo on the mountain in Squaw - that was his board. Those were the good old days....

Froggystyle
12-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Burton made an asymetrial board in 1992 called the "asym air". My buddy's brother lived in a Condo on the mountain in Squaw - that was his board. Those were the good old days....
That might have been it. Black with some light grey logos and red lettering, no big picture???
Timing is right, that is for sure...

TRG
12-04-2005, 08:41 AM
I have a Nitro asym (159)in the rafters IN PLASTIC did a little rep work at some shows in 87' with them and they gave me some pretty cool shit, never really liked their stuff but shortlt after that i got pretty heavy into forum equipment, then later my Now Wife worked for four star dist. (forum, circa four square and special blend)in san clamente, that was the best of all cuz i recieved so much shit from her it seemed every week something new from her!
Now just trying to find the time to use it all! :mad:
Oh well!... theres always the weekends right, Up at the local madhouse! lol
No thanks!

Froggystyle
12-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I have a Nitro asym (159)in the rafters IN PLASTIC did a little rep work at some shows in 87' with them and they gave me some pretty cool shit, never really liked their stuff but shortlt after that i got pretty heavy into forum equipment, then later my Now Wife worked for four star dist. (forum, circa four square and special blend)in san clamente, that was the best of all cuz i recieved so much shit from her it seemed every week something new from her!
Now just trying to find the time to use it all! :mad:
Oh well!... theres always the weekends right, Up at the local madhouse! lol
No thanks!
Wanna sell the Nitro?