PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave or Cobra

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine is going to buy his first boat and has narrowed it down to these 2 companies. He lurks here but is not a regular so I figured I would help him out. What is everyone opinions on either of these boats good and bad and maybe this will help him make his choice. He is looking at the 23' open bow cuddy by Cobra and the 25 Tremor by Shockwave. Thanks, Nick

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Nothing against Cobra, but personally I'd go see Barry and get the Tremor :cool:
Anybody know what the relative prices are though? That could be a factor for your friend...
Couldn't sell him on the 25' Bullet?
If its for Havasu then certainly bigger is better...
Maybe the 26' Cobra??

Desert Rat
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Apples and oranges don't you think? A 23 verse a 25? Both build a nice boat, now if was down to a couple of 25's I would take the cobra. just my .02

INSman
11-21-2005, 06:24 PM
I think it depends on where you boat and what is important to you. I had a 23' Dana and I would take that before the Cobra every day that ends in a 'Y'. Now take a 25' Shockwave, you have a boat that can easily run through 3-4' chop without blinking an eye and runs in the ocean if need be (although I suggest a closed bow for this activity).
If I am correct, there is a very nice used 25' Shockwave here on the boards for sale, why take the new boat hit ?? :crossx:

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 06:26 PM
The Bullet is out of his price range. He has a 75,000 OTD ceiling and you can't talk Bullet with those numbers. Of course Howard is my first choice but these are the brands he has chose and I am just trying to help him out. thanks so far. Nick

Mandelon
11-21-2005, 06:55 PM
The Tremor runs a solid 70 with 496HO and should be in that price range. We all know Cobra's customer history........at least Bohn's history anyway....from what we've read here. Maybe things are different now.....but there is still that stigma anyway. Cobra makes a really good looking boat and ***boat Mag and Powerboat only say pretty positive things about them.
There are more Shockwave's out there than Cobras. Will that help resale? I dunno. I am not such of fan of the Tremor's dash layout, but the boats run well and look good.
I would be negligent not to mention Lavey.....that price range ought to get him into a 24 Nuera, no? Maybe a 26'??? That's the LOA without the swimstep too... :cool:

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Those are too big of a difference to compare...
But I would take any Shockwave over a cobra

Nord
11-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Those are too big of a difference to compare...
But I would take any Shockwave over a cobra
agreed!
But take a look at Ultra!

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 07:49 PM
He looked at Ultra but he said he was turned off by the short guy at Ultra that talked bad about everybody elses boats. I would only guess he talked to JW but who knows. I will mention the Lavey craft Nu Era because those are nice boats too but I think he went there and for whatever reason these are the 2 boats he chose.

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Shockwave = 5 Votes
Cobra = 1 Vote

Outnumbered
11-21-2005, 07:52 PM
He looked at Ultra but he said he was turned off by the short guy at Ultra that talked bad about everybody elses boats. I would only guess he talked to JW but who knows. I will mention the Lavey craft Nu Era because those are nice boats too but I think he went there and for whatever reason these are the 2 boats he chose.
Now, play nice :)
I would say he could get a screaming deal on an Ultra around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find out where and I'll let you know ;)

Throttle
11-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Cobra!
Nick, have your buddy give me a call if he wants some help... I have been stoked with my boats from Cobra! Plenty of shiat said here on the boards and as usual you ask for input on two models and within no time you have everyone givin .02 about something that you were not even askin bout.

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
I looked at both but ended up with a Cig but there would be no question in my mind between those 2. Shockwave

ULTRA28
11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah, because that's how I sell boats. :rolleyes: If the money for the two boats is the same, I would go with the Shockwave.

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Yeah, because that's how I sell boats. :rolleyes: If the money for the two boats is the same, I would go with the Shockwave.
lol thats funny...pushy salesman for damn sure :wink:

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:04 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610100_2325.JPG

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Everyone is playing nice. Someone asked an honest question and I gave an honest answer. He really wants to buy a new boat so he can choose colors. I would be telling him about your boat John, Tremor Therapy's boat, and everybody else who has a boat for sale on here.

slink
11-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Bought my SW last year and am very satisfied.

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:09 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610100_1795.JPG

rollin24/7
11-21-2005, 08:11 PM
I am now on my 2nd Shockwave. The first was the 21, and now I have there 25 Tremor w/490HO and will run 70 all day long. I personally think Shockwave is a better buy for your buck, but that's just my 2 cents. The 25 rides smooth, and solid through anything Havasu brings. It also has more than enough room for friends and family. Go down and talk w/Barry at Shockwave. They are known to take care of there customers and work with them. Now's the time too, since winter is almost here. PM me if you have more specific questions.

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I am now on my 2nd Shockwave. The first was the 21, and now I have there 25 Tremor w/490HO and will run 70 all day long. I personally think Shockwave is a better buy for your buck, but that's just my 2 cents. The 25 rides smooth, and solid through anything Havasu brings. It also has more than enough room for friends and family. Go down and talk w/Barry at Shockwave. They are known to take care of there customers and work with them. Now's the time too, since winter is almost here. PM me if you have more specific questions.
Hey rollin 24/7, I was just lookin for your pic. found it... nice splash!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2610100_1978.JPG

INSman
11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Splash or not, nice boat !! :cool:

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 08:40 PM
That's a big deal right there.

INSman
11-21-2005, 08:41 PM
That's a big deal right there.
P.S. H2O Toie says, DON'T buy a Commander :argue: :hammerhea :D

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey i didn't even mention it this time :crossx:

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon] We all know Cobra's customer history........at least Bohn's history anyway....from what we've read here. Maybe things are different now.....but there is still that stigma anyway. Cobra makes a really good looking boat and ***boat Mag and Powerboat only say pretty positive things about them. QUOTE]
C'mon now... IF there was really any history it is exacly that, history!
"Stigma" ? mmmm
Bohn's buildin bitchin boats, givin customers satisfaction, value and service! Mandelon hits it right here! The mags continue to talk about how far this builder has come, you don't get there with bad "customer history" .

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:53 PM
ditto!

Throttle
11-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey i didn't even mention it this time :crossx:
he said it first... :argue:

shadow
11-21-2005, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon] We all know Cobra's customer history........at least Bohn's history anyway....from what we've read here. Maybe things are different now.....but there is still that stigma anyway. Cobra makes a really good looking boat and ***boat Mag and Powerboat only say pretty positive things about them. QUOTE]
C'mon now... IF there was really any history it is exacly that, history!
"Stigma" ? mmmm
Bohn's buildin bitchin boats, givin customers satisfaction, value and service! Mandelon hits it right here! The mags continue to talk about how far this builder has come, you don't get there with bad "customer history" .
Not to change the topic but ***boat also gives commander great reviews,
do a search on thier "customer history"Advertising $$ will get you great reviews.
Cobra makes a nice boat but if the question is between a 23' cobra and
25' Shockwave?
Hands down Shockwave,proven Quality and Customer service,not to mention 2 extra feet of boat.

SDLifesaver
11-21-2005, 09:03 PM
I was kinda hoping the lurker would come on here and see the mess I started for him. Thanks everyone for your opinions and personal experiences because that is what I asked for. Hopefully he will read this and then make a decision.

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:05 PM
the thing is that these two boats are truly different and should not be compared head to head.

jbtrailerjim
11-21-2005, 09:05 PM
If your talking same money for both boats, Shockwave gets my vote. The 25 Tremor is a much bigger boat than the 23 Cobra. I don't feel either boat is better than one or the other, when it comes to build quality. They are both a well built good looking boat, IMO.

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=Throttle The mags continue to talk about how far this builder has come, you don't get there with bad "customer history" .[/QUOTE]
I don't know Commander still builds boats and how much bad history can one company have.

dicudmore
11-21-2005, 09:07 PM
[QUOTE=Throttle The mags continue to talk about how far this builder has come, you don't get there with bad "customer history" .
I don't know Commander still builds boats and how much bad history can one company have.[/QUOTE]
makes ya wonder??

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I was kinda hoping the lurker would come on here and see the mess I started for him. Thanks everyone for your opinions and personal experiences because that is what I asked for. Hopefully he will read this and then make a decision.
I'm here to help :)
I wish i could have got this kind of info years ago, but it was really helpful last year when i was looking for a new boat.

shadow
11-21-2005, 09:10 PM
the thing is that these two boats are truly different and should not be compared head to head.
I don't think anybody said anything about comparing the two boats. :rolleyes:
These were the 2 boats he liked and narrowed it down to these 2 companies,
wanted an opinion on these 2 different boats.

Pipe Dream'n
11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm partial to Shockwave. :) The wife and I stalked Barry at the shows for a couple years until we finally decided to have our boat built a couple of months ago. I'm happy with our experience at Shockwave so far and the boat rides great. We looked and talked to a lot of different boat manufacturers when we were looking, but kept coming back to them.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3184our_boat.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3184our_boat2.JPG

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
makes ya wonder??
But there are a lot of people who have them and are happy with them, So who knows. I know that any boat can have problems but it is how companys take care of problems that is important.

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
the lurker needs to look deeper into his decision... I am wondering if he can really get his new ride for 70k the way he wants it from sw. Of course if its the cobra 230 razor he is lookin at, I think with a 496HO he will be just around 60k (boat is obviously smaller). Storage, cup holders, ice chest(s) or room to put an ice chest without having to step over it... I think that cobra's materials will be better matched, including the fabric and interiors.
everyone likes something different, just sit in it, drive it and don't settle, for anything less than what you really want. good luck lurker!

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:23 PM
[QUOTE=Throttle The mags continue to talk about how far this builder has come, you don't get there with bad "customer history" .
I don't know Commander still builds boats and how much bad history can one company have.[/QUOTE]
thats a good one....mmmmmm? lol

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
thats a good one....mmmmmm? lol
Sorry for jacking the thread but Insman started it :argue:

slink
11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
the lurker needs to look deeper into his decision... I am wondering if he can really get his new ride for 70k the way he wants it from sw. Of course if its the cobra 230 razor he is lookin at, I think with a 496HO he will be just around 60k (boat is obviously smaller). Storage, cup holders, ice chest(s) or room to put an ice chest without having to step over it... I think that cobra's materials will be better matched, including the fabric and interiors.
everyone likes something different, just sit in it, drive it and don't settle, for anything less than what you really want. good luck lurker!
Maybe $70 for a closed bow, w/o an HO and stock stereo....Just a guess

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Since this thread has gone to shit...
HJere is my two cents and then some
Does cobra come standard with these
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16161271111P1010133.jpg

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I don't think anybody said anything about comparing the two boats. :rolleyes:
These were the 2 boats he liked and narrowed it down to these 2 companies,
wanted an opinion on these 2 different boats.
you may have got me on that one shadow, I may have read into it differently...
Comparing companies or comparing models, both companies are taking care of business well, both models will perform differently and will not provide equal trade offs.

shockwavebd
11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
I think ...................shockwave.................... :).........................but what do I know......... :rolleyes:

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:41 PM
Damn i bought the wrong boat.

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 09:43 PM
Damn i bought the wrong boat.
She has always wanted to go for a ride in a TOP GUN

slink
11-21-2005, 09:44 PM
I think ...................shockwave.................... :).........................but what do I know......... :rolleyes:
You don't know Jack Shiat my friend :crossx: :crossx: BTW, I may swing by tomorrow.

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 09:47 PM
You don't know Jack Shiat my friend :crossx: :crossx: BTW, I may swing by tomorrow.
That may be true, but he knows bullsshit and holyshit and sometimes fully of shit.... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:48 PM
way to bring it to the top klr!

slink
11-21-2005, 09:49 PM
That may be true, but he knows bullsshit and holyshit and sometimes fully of shit.... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
O.K, you got me there :)

H20 Toie
11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
She has always wanted to go for a ride in a TOP GUN
Anytime :)
Ah heck you can even come to.

Kilrtoy
11-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Bottom line,
BUY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY

INSman
11-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Crazy kids !!! :rollside: :cool:

Throttle
11-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Bottom line,
BUY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
I coulda just bought a bottle of Jack then!

voodoomedman
11-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Well at least he got the short part right!! :D

Ultrafied
11-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Well at least he got the short part right!! :D
Short? I just thought everytime I talked with John, he was sitting down!

Flashover
11-22-2005, 06:05 AM
Cobra and shockwave are both very good boats, Can't go wrong with either one. But you know what im going to say.... You can't beat a Da_a!!! Best boat for the dollar. Lurker just take a look, cause i am assuming you haven't yet.. PM me with any Questions.. Sorry Throttle i know you hate it when i do this, But i gatta sell some boats... :crossx: :crossx:

MayDaze
11-22-2005, 07:16 AM
3 of my friends have Shockwave's and are very happy with them. I purchased the Tremor in Sept and was very pleased with the process and boat. Good luck

voodoomedman
11-22-2005, 07:21 AM
3 of my friends have Shockwave's and are very happy with them. I purchased the Tremor in Sept and was very pleased with the process and boat. Good luck
I don't know what to say about the two that you actually asked about.
I own a boat company and we are the best and you will not find anything better for the money. Basically dollar for dollar everyone elses boats suck compared to mine. Buy my boat buy my boat.
Oh wait didn't you ask about two different boat?????????

BarryMac
11-22-2005, 07:27 AM
He looked at Ultra but he said he was turned off by the short guy at Ultra that talked bad about everybody elses boats. I would only guess he talked to JW but who knows.
What? Definitely doesn't sound like the John West that I know.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-22-2005, 07:32 AM
I don't know what to say about the two that you actually asked about.
I own a boat company and we are the best and you will not find anything better for the money. Basically dollar for dollar everyone elses boats suck compared to mine. Buy my boat buy my boat.
Oh wait didn't you ask about two different boat?????????
LOL, it happens every time.
I think I'll start one of these threads every couple of months just for fun to see how long it takes someone to mention a different boat than originally asked about. Seems like it always happens on the first page.
Back to the subject, I don't know a lot about boats, but I have taken rides in a 21' SW and a 25' SW. They both cut through chop very well and the interior holds up nice (one is a 1999). They are great boats and seem like a great company to do business with. Oh, and I talked with the Shockwave folks for a long time at the Pomona boat show, even though they knew I wasn't in the market for a boat. Very nice guys.
The only thing I know about Cobra is that they are not quite as respected, don't know why. They also have pretty graphics, though a little trendy for me. Of course though, that is up to the buyer.
One more thing. I agree with DILLAGAF that I don't see him getting into a 25' Tremor for $75K otd, but I assume your friend has researched this.

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 07:35 AM
One more thing. I agree with DILLAGAF that I don't see him getting into a 25' Tremor for $75K otd, but I assume your friend has researched this.
I disagree, I think it can be done

MayDaze
11-22-2005, 07:38 AM
I think it can be done also.... :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-22-2005, 07:39 AM
You may be right, I haven't been new boat shopping in a while. I only know what the used are going for.

shockwavebd
11-22-2005, 07:42 AM
I know it can....................... :p

MayDaze
11-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Nice....

Tequila-John
11-22-2005, 07:45 AM
I love out 26ft Cobra. Customer service was and this is AWSOME.

shockwavebd
11-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Why thank you both.........jeff see you this afternoon................

River918
11-22-2005, 07:46 AM
you at work?,,,i need to call you....changes to be made before it goes into the mold

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Why thank you both.........jeff see you this afternoon................
Sorry I also forgot, HE DOES GIVE A SHIT
get it out the door for under 75K

redneckgirl
11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Shockwave...Shockwave...Shockwave!!!! You won't be sorry!!! Just my .02 cents Best of luck...Choice what feels right!!! Go bigger you won't be sorry! :D :D
RNG

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 08:06 AM
you at work?,,,i need to call you....changes to be made before it goes into the mold
WHAT, are you getting a 29 now

Throttle
11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=
One more thing. I agree with DILLAGAF that I don't see him getting into a 25' Tremor for $75K otd, but I assume your friend has researched this.[/QUOTE]
otd at 75k? No way, maybe with a 6.2...
my .02 again.

River918
11-22-2005, 08:08 AM
WHAT, are you getting a 29 now
I don't make your $$$$...... :)

Jyruiz
11-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Go with the 25 footer, not only does SW get a lot of respect, but the boat will be better on the chop than the 23 Razor. Plus, I am sure SW will deal with you, unlike other companies.

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 08:34 AM
[QUOTE=
otd at 75k? No way, maybe with a 6.2...
my .02 again.[/QUOTE]
Do I hear side bet on this one....
First round at the desert bar friday

rivercrazy
11-22-2005, 08:50 AM
IMHO I'd go with the Shockwave. Great handling, awesome rough water ride, big for a 25, built to last, rigged super clean, and the gels are shot by one of the best in the business (Mancini).
Cobra's are also very nice and have come a long way in a couple of years. But I've raced a few 496HO 26' Cobra's in my stock 496HO Shockwave. Came out on top every time....:D

shadow
11-22-2005, 09:10 AM
IMHO I'd go with the Shockwave. Great handling, awesome rough water ride, big for a 25, built to last, rigged super clean, and the gels are shot by one of the best in the business (Mancini).
Cobra's are also very nice and have come a long way in a couple of years. But I've raced a few 496HO 26' Cobra's in my stock 496HO Shockwave. Came out on top every time....:D
Not Throttles! 77mph gps.496ho :)
Just funnin with ya Throttle. :D
But between a 25' Shockwave & 23' Cobra There should be no question.
Both nice boats!

Edmond
11-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I looked at both of these boats a couple of years ago. I went with the 25 Tremor and couldnt be happier. The customer service is excellent and the boat performs great. I think Cobra makes a good boat also, my friend is having one built (28 Python) and it looks good. BUT the difference between a 23 and a 25 will be huge when the water gets rough. Did I mention the Great service at Shockwave!!!!

Goodtime$
11-22-2005, 12:46 PM
http://www.orioncustomboats.com/images/pic3.jpg
Ill chime in..i can build you one for 65k OTD
496HO, Bravo XR
Fully loaded, Dana Bases, Extreme Trailer
Bimini etc, loaded.
Orion 25 V

Throttle
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
oh, here we go again, ask rollin 24/7 where he was when i pulled away from his tremor...

Throttle
11-22-2005, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=shadow]Not Throttles! 77mph gps.496ho :)
Just funnin with ya Throttle. :D
QUOTE]
shhhhh, its our little secret....

Throttle
11-22-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm gonna throw this one out for the lurker, I will be honest with ya here, if you like the Cobra 230 razor thats great, you can get it loaded with all the goodies that will make you happy for around 60k including your 496ho. Your buddy sdlifesaver said you also liked the 25 shockwave. Odds would say that the 25 sw is going to run better on Havi water, I do not know how much thats gonna cost ya...
I will add this to what I have already stated, these are two entirely different boats, both will make you happy on the water, find what it is that really geets ya goin and what motivates your decision. If you like the 230 razor, check out the 260 (its closer to what you are looking at with the 25 sw) and you decide... we all like somethin different...
I hate no havin room for an ice chest and then having to trip over it or put it on a seat (mmmmm :idea: ). Another nice feature is the hidden bimini...

Jyruiz
11-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna throw this one out for the lurker, I will be honest with ya here, if you like the Cobra 230 razor thats great, you can get it loaded with all the goodies that will make you happy for around 60k including your 496ho. Your buddy sdlifesaver said you also liked the 25 shockwave. Odds would say that the 25 sw is going to run better on Havi water, I do not know how much thats gonna cost ya...
I will add this to what I have already stated, these are two entirely different boats, both will make you happy on the water, find what it is that really geets ya goin and what motivates your decision. If you like the 230 razor, check out the 260 (its closer to what you are looking at with the 25 sw) and you decide... we all like somethin different...
I hate no havin room for an ice chest and then having to trip over it or put it on a seat (mmmmm :idea: ). Another nice feature is the hidden bimini...
I really like the hidden bimini and the built in ice chest the Cobra has. The only thing I did not like about the 230 Razor was the swimstep, I wish it would cover the whole outdrive. This might not be important to some, but if you have little ones, it is a good idea to have the outdrive covered when you are floating in the water and taking a swim.

voodoomedman
11-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I really like the hidden bimini and the built in ice chest the Cobra has. The only thing I did not like about the 230 Razor was the swimstep, I wish it would cover the whole outdrive. This might not be important to some, but if you have little ones, it is a good idea to have the outdrive covered when you are floating in the water and taking a swim.
More like drunks. On my boat the kids never have gotten hurt by the prop. Now drunken adults.........

BajaMike
11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Ya....never a shortage of opinions here.... :argue: :idea:
:rollside: :boxed: :220v: :argue:

purrfecttremor
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
dam My eyes hurt to much info.The fact is there in no comparison between the razor and the tremor!!!!!! If He can afford the Tremor take it. I took the Tremor over the 27 Razor and after two seasons Im convinced it was the right decision.

Supultlbich
11-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I second the hint on covering the drive while floating, however dont have a few beers and forget to take it off because if you do all of your so called buddies will salvage every last piece and take pictures!!! Bastards!!! But what are friends for right???
Oh hey Mark (AKA Lurker) Just buy something so you can come hang out with us. Good Luck!
Sean

SDLifesaver
11-22-2005, 09:05 PM
No one on here would ever salvage a shredded prop cover for a photo opportunity. Thats just wrong.