PDA

View Full Version : Treating a burn....

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 09:45 AM
OK, so I burned the crap out of my arm making mashed potatoes for the first grade Thanksgiving Feast this morning...My skin melted off my arm, and now I have this white oozy patch of skin exposed with dead skin kinda hangin off :cry: ....Should I cover it or leave it out in the open? It's not too big, about the size of a dime, on my inner forearm...

topless
11-22-2005, 09:49 AM
OK, so I burned the crap out of my arm making mashed potatoes for the first grade Thanksgiving Feast this morning...My skin melted off my arm, and now I have this white oozy patch of skin exposed with dead skin kinda hangin off :cry: ....Should I cover it or leave it out in the open? It's not too big, about the size of a dime, on my inner forearm...Put neosporin on it and cover it up for now. :cry: OUCH.

uvindex
11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Sorry about your burn. :( ***boat, although a great site, is not the first place one should think of for obtaining medical advice. :D
Here's some info from WebMD.com:
* Put on an antibiotic ointment. Ointments such as Bacitracin, Polysporin, or Silvadene can be used. Do not put sprays or butter on burns, because this traps the heat inside the burn. Caution: Silvadene should not be used by pregnant women.
Bandaging the burn
* If the burned skin or blisters have not broken open, a bandage may not be needed. If the burned skin or unbroken blisters are likely to become dirty or be irritated by clothing, apply a bandage.
* If the burned skin or blisters have broken open, a bandage is needed. To further help prevent infection, apply a clean bandage whenever your bandage gets wet or soiled. If a bandage is stuck to a burn, soak it in warm water to make the bandage easier to remove. If available, use a nonstick dressing. There are many bandage products available. Be sure to read the product label for correct use.
* Wrap the burn loosely to avoid putting pressure on the burned skin.
* Do not tape a bandage so that it circles a hand, arm, or leg. This can cause swelling.
There are many nonprescription burn dressings available. Be sure to follow the instructions included in the package.
If the burn is on a leg or an arm, keep the limb raised as much as possible for the first 24 to 48 hours to decrease swelling. Move a burned leg or arm normally to keep the burned skin from healing too tightly, which can limit movement.

Phat Matt
11-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Cover it with mashed potatoes if you can find some. :)

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Sorry about your burn. :( ***boat, although a great site, is not the first place one should think of for obtaining medical advice. :D
Here's some info from WebMD.com:
* Put on an antibiotic ointment. Ointments such as Bacitracin, Polysporin, or Silvadene can be used. Do not put sprays or butter on burns, because this traps the heat inside the burn. Caution: Silvadene should not be used by pregnant women.
Bandaging the burn
* If the burned skin or blisters have not broken open, a bandage may not be needed. If the burned skin or unbroken blisters are likely to become dirty or be irritated by clothing, apply a bandage.
* If the burned skin or blisters have broken open, a bandage is needed. To further help prevent infection, apply a clean bandage whenever your bandage gets wet or soiled. If a bandage is stuck to a burn, soak it in warm water to make the bandage easier to remove. If available, use a nonstick dressing. There are many bandage products available. Be sure to read the product label for correct use.
* Wrap the burn loosely to avoid putting pressure on the burned skin.
* Do not tape a bandage so that it circles a hand, arm, or leg. This can cause swelling.
There are many nonprescription burn dressings available. Be sure to follow the instructions included in the package.
If the burn is on a leg or an arm, keep the limb raised as much as possible for the first 24 to 48 hours to decrease swelling. Move a burned leg or arm normally to keep the burned skin from healing too tightly, which can limit movement.
LOL....Thank you sweetie! HB to the rescue...

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Cover it with mashed potatoes if you can find some. :)
I have none...They are eating them in class.....Thanks anyway, Matt... :p :p

Jbb
11-22-2005, 10:07 AM
I have been burned a few times..... :p Silvadene creme,now available otc ...seems to make it heal the fastest...Bunny>>>Disco Inferno... :p

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Put neosporin on it and cover it up for now. :cry: OUCH.
Hey Al! Thank you... Just saw your post...Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!! :) :)

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:18 AM
I have been burned a few times..... :p Silvadene creme,now available otc ...seems to make it heal the fastest...Bunny>>>Disco Inferno... :p
Burn, baby burn!...Oooowwww.. :cry:

lucky
i too have been burned a few times , the best thing to do to cure a burn is NEVER LEND MONEY TO YOUR SISTERS .... no i do not have issues :cry:

topless
Hey Al! Thank you... Just saw your post...Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!! :) :)You have one too sweetie. :)

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
i too have been burned a few times , the best thing to do to cure a burn is NEVER LEND MONEY TO YOUR SISTERS .... no i do not have issues :cry:
I don't have any sisters or brothers, so I guess I'm OK.... :)

Wally_Gator
Also if the bandage sticks you can use saline solution to
remove the bandage. Use the sterile eye solution used for contacts.
It can be easier to apply.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
Salt and vinegar seem to work..... :crossx:

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Also if the bandage sticks you can use saline solution to
remove the bandage. Use the sterile eye solution used for contacts.
It can be easier to apply.
I will remember that when I have to peel it off... :cry: Thank you!

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Salt and vinegar seem to work..... :crossx:
Hey! That is not nice...Why don't you come in for lunch today? I'll give you a special dish with some extra seasoning!! :crossx:

Jbb
11-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey! That is not nice...Why don't you come in for lunch today? I'll give you a special dish with some extra seasoning!! :crossx:
note to self....Avoid bunnys restaurant....or at least the "special sauce".. :p

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:26 AM
note to self....Avoid bunnys restaurant....or at least the "special sauce".. :p
Hee hee...I am not as sweet as I seem online....LMAO..... :skull:

Jbb
11-22-2005, 10:29 AM
noted......you know......seems I have heard that before....somewhere.... ;)

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:31 AM
noted......you know......seems I have heard that before....somewhere.... ;)
LMAO!!!! I needed this laugh this morning.... :) Have a good day all, and you know I'm kidding.... :p

JB in so cal
11-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I will remember that when I have to peel it off... :cry: Thank you!
...best just to grip a small corner of the bandage aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd d RIP!!!
Once the tears dry up, you should be just fine.
BTW. Nice description above
My skin melted off my arm, and now I have this white oozy patch of skin exposed with dead skin kinda hangin off
:220v:

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:34 AM
...best just to grip a small corner of the bandage aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd d RIP!!!
Once the tears dry up, you should be just fine.
BTW. Nice description above
My skin melted off my arm, and now I have this white oozy patch of skin exposed with dead skin kinda hangin off
:220v:
LOL....sorry J.... :rollside:

Jordy
11-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Me neither. :D :D :D

bunny 166
11-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Me neither. :D :D :D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :argue:
:D :D :D

ROZ
11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Neosporin and bandage it loosely...

advantage mike
11-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Well not much of a poster but lurk alot but have to get in on this. I work as a fire captain and a paramedic and need to caution you about putting anything on a burn that has a broken blister on it. A loose dry dressing works the best. You need to let it dry out which is a signal that the skin is healing over. And if all else fails come by the station and we will take a look at it. Heck you finally see your tax dollars go to work..... Once it begins to quit oozing, polysporins work well to kills the bad bugs

Tom Brown
11-22-2005, 11:29 AM
OK, so I burned the crap out of my arm making mashed potatoes for the first grade Thanksgiving Feast this morning...My skin melted off my arm, and now I have this white oozy patch of skin exposed with dead skin kinda hangin off :cry: ....Should I cover it or leave it out in the open? It's not too big, about the size of a dime, on my inner forearm...
It will heal faster if you leave it open to the air.
If anyone asks you about it, tell them it's rug burn.
I hope it feels better soon, Bunny. :)

Rexone
11-22-2005, 12:24 PM
When I burned the bejesus out of my arm and leg falling on a header the skin didn't melt off, but it did stay on the header in a big sheet. The doc prescribed silvadine (before it was otc) and that stuff is awesome. Get some you won't be sorry. Loose bandage over.

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 12:28 PM
UM are your serious,
GO TO THE DAMN DOCTOR....
Forget all the arm chair doctors...
if you don't take my advice come over and my kisses will make it all better.....
GO TO THE DAMN DOCTOR FOOL

IN2-IN2MX
11-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Ouchy. That's not good.

sorry dog
11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
It will heal faster if you leave it open to the air.
If anyone asks you about it, tell them it's rug burn.
I hope it feels better soon, Bunny. :)
This must be Tom's excuse for going bike riding nude.
BTW - I'd treat it with some pain pills and beer.

Tom Brown
11-22-2005, 01:32 PM
BTW - I'd treat it with some pain pills and beer.
Have you ever shot a TV set with a hand gun? :idea:

Jbb
11-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Have you ever shot a TV set with a hand gun? :idea:
was that question open to anyone? :)

Windy
11-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Well not much of a poster but lurk alot but have to get in on this. I work as a fire captain and a paramedic and need to caution you about putting anything on a burn that has a broken blister on it. A loose dry dressing works the best. You need to let it dry out which is a signal that the skin is healing over. And if all else fails come by the station and we will take a look at it. Heck you finally see your tax dollars go to work..... Once it begins to quit oozing, polysporins work well to kills the bad bugs
OMG...Hi Mike...how the heck are you???
Hope you feel better Bunny.

Throttle
11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Add jack! tastes soo good...
when it hits your lips!
sorry to hear about the burn there cutie, hang in dar!