PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio vs Sirius / Portable units

IN2-IN2MX
11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi guys,
I am not techy at all so I need your help. :rollside:
My dad wants to get me a portable XM radio player that can plug into the car or be used at home. I searched a little online and found that Sirius has a portable unit that is also an MP3 player. I can't find one for XM though! Do they just not make one or am I just a dork (and don't answer "yes" to both :p )? I want to be able to download my own tunes onto the unit but play XM. I like XM...Mike has it in his Chevy.
Also, if XM doesn't make one should I just get the Sirius unit? What the heck is the difference between XM and Sirius? Someone at work told me Sirius has more sports and talk radio...which I don't care too much for.

Outnumbered
11-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I hear they are all fine but let me tell you this. Unless you live or use the thing away from any decent sized city the FM modulator dealio built into the units SUCKS! For any decent sound quality you either have to hard-wire via mini-phono/RCA or use a "hard-wired" FM modulator. Trust me this is the only way to go unless you like static.

Kilrtoy
11-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Do a search on this... there have been a bunch of threads that will answer all your questions

IN2-IN2MX
11-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I hear they are all fine but let me tell you this. Unless you live or use the thing away from any decent sized city the FM modulator dealio built into the units SUCKS! For any decent sound quality you either have to hard-wire via mini-phono/RCA or use a "hard-wired" FM modulator. Trust me this is the only way to go unless you like static.
I have no idea how to do that. :p Figures. But thank you for the info.

Blacksheep
I believe both companies now have portable units. It really boils down to content preference. I am somewhat biased since I used to work for Sirius, however with DirecTV I now have XM at home and Sirius in the vehicles. I can now honestly say after listening to both, I like the content on Sirius better. Both have about the same amount of music channels and talk/sports. Again, it boils down to personal preference.
Good luck!!!

Jbb
Kilrtoy is right ..It has been discussed at length here before...I have a roady 2 and love it...but no mp3
Here is what they offer....XM (http://shop.xmradio.com/landing.aspx)

Outnumbered
11-22-2005, 12:19 PM
I have no idea how to do that. :p Figures. But thank you for the info.
Go to a decent installer and they can help you.

IN2-IN2MX
11-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Kilrtoy is right ..It has been discussed at length here before...I have a roady 2 and love it...but no mp3
Here is what they offer....XM (http://shop.xmradio.com/landing.aspx)
Yeah, but I don't usually listen to that Kilr guy.
Ok, so it looks like no combo MP3 portable unit. Guess I'm going with Sirius.
Thanks.

Nord
11-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Question answered
if you like Howard Stern, get Sirius,
if you like MLB, NASACAR, get XM!

Jbb
11-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but I don't usually listen to that Kilr guy.
Ok, so it looks like no combo MP3 portable unit. Guess I'm going with Sirius.
Thanks.
lol....Lowriver doesn't listen to him either.... :p

Tom Brown
11-22-2005, 12:41 PM
lol....Lowriver doesn't listen to him either.... :p
Lowriver is hearing impared from 15 years of gun fire.

Ziggy
11-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Question answered
if you like Howard Stern, get Sirius,
if you like MLB, NASACAR, get XM!Nascar coming to Sirius ;)
I have both now, the sirius is my portable that I take in the car, home or boat. I prefer the sirius programming as well. NFL there too.
Both are fine so it boils down to your own preferences. I've talked to my local electronic installation shop and early on he said XM was all that was asked for, now he says its Sirius all the way, hardly any request for XM anymore.
Thats a pretty clear answer to me.

AZKC
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Costco had a bunch of both systems with car adapters and home adapters one was around 80 bucks after a 30 dollar rebate. I'm holding off till they give them away :)