PDA

View Full Version : Movers - Can anyone Recommend?

jojoteez
05-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Going to be moving in a few weeks and really do not want to have to worry about moving anything. Packing is enough for me! Does anyone know of a good moving company that has reasonable rates and is reliable? I live in Riverside County and will be moving to Winchester.
Thanks!

QuickCheetah
05-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Let me be the first to welcome you to Winchester...Are you moving to the French Valley area?

slink
05-14-2006, 06:15 PM
A few buddies have used those PODS. They drop them off in your driveway, you pack em, they move em to your new driveway.

RitcheyRch
05-14-2006, 06:26 PM
I had very good luck with Mr. Move although am not sure they are in your area.

Not So Fast
05-15-2006, 02:04 AM
Going to be moving in a few weeks and really do not want to have to worry about moving anything. Packing is enough for me! Does anyone know of a good moving company that has reasonable rates and is reliable? I live in Riverside County and will be moving to Winchester.
Thanks!
GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING, with guarantee, also the salesmans cell #, moving companies seem very unscrupulous (sp) to me and highly un-organized. Every time we have moved (3) it was just a horrible experience. Sometimes I think the smaller indepedants are more trust worthy??? Bekins did our last to here and screwed up royal. Good luck. NSF

voodoomedman
05-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Thanks!
We just moved in December and used Inland Empire Movers in Ontario. They are an agent for Allied (The big orange trucks). They were great and quick. Out of all the quotes they were about 100 bucks cheaper and they were the only ones that said if we do it in less time than the quote then you only pay for the time you used. The guys had to go somewhere on moving day and were hustling, so instead of paying 700 something I only paid 450.

Magic34
05-15-2006, 08:00 AM
GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING, with guarantee, also the salesmans cell #, moving companies seem very unscrupulous (sp) to me and highly un-organized. Every time we have moved (3) it was just a horrible experience. Sometimes I think the smaller indepedants are more trust worthy??? Bekins did our last to here and screwed up royal. Good luck. NSF
We own 3 Allied agencies in the PHX area.
Local moving is different from interstate. It is all done on an hourly basis. If you want a guaranteed price on a local move, it would just be the salesperson making the bid so high that they know 100% for certain that it will take less time than guarantee estimated.
Also, when hiring a local moving company, the big boys (Allied, United, North American), realy have nothing to do with the local move. You are hiring the Agent of one of those other companies.
A few points for local moving is that make sure you understand the hourly rate. Also, on average your typical 2500 sq. ft. home full iwth everything a family of four needs will take about 9 hours for 4 guys to move (average is 1 hour per room for estimate). About 5 1/2 hours on the load and 3 1/2 hours on the unload. That does not include travel time either.
Valuation is also important. Remember, this is not insurance. Transportation law has Valuation, not insurance. Valuation puts a set amount on your goods per pound. If you do not purchase additional valuation, the set amount included with standard moving companies is $0.60/pound.
Use the big boys for your move. If something goes wrong, even though you are moving with the local agent, at least you might have a little more help if you kick and scream to the corporation. Check the BBB and see how the company rates as well.
Now if you want any interstae info, that would need to be another post.

Not So Fast
05-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks Magic 34, good to know some people have good luck. All I can relate is my experience with movers and it's been bad everytime, figures. Like our move up here, showed up late to pack the van and forgot the wardrobe boxes, although they did a good job of packing. Then the day they were supposed to be here (Havasu) they didnt show up and never called with reason why, I finally got ahold of the salesman late that day and he said the tractor broke down and they didnt have another until the next day and they showed up late that day also but I was just glad to get it unloaded and see them leave. Thats just one experience, the other two were worse. I was reimbursed for the wardrobe boxes I had to go buy and got a little refund also but the frustration factor was not worth it. PEACE :D NSF

Back To Havasu
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey Magic 34...Would you kindly enlighten me on interstate moving. We are moving from Corona, Ca., to Acworth, Georgia as soon as escrow closes on our home. I'm specifically looking for recommendations regarding whom is least likely to damage stuff, and is most generally trustworthy. Thanks...BTH