PDA

View Full Version : Best Performance Programer for Chev Trks?

GHT
11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
What is the best performance programer for a 2001 Chevy Truck??? V-8 and NO I don't know the exact size of the motor. It is for my assistant's husband.
I know they all claim their the best but which one really is?
Thanks for any help.

sigepmock
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I had good luck with the Hypertech (on the Gas motors), the Diablo Sport Predator, but I think the best is a custom tuned ECM from Westers Garage or PCM's for Less. They make a custom tune for each specific vehicle.
Just my $.02,
Chris

Brian Ray
11-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Bryan Herter.... www.PCMforless.com He's been doing programming my PCM on my '96 Impala for years now. He's also done a few of my friends trucks and they have been more than happy with the results.

dicudmore
11-30-2005, 10:26 AM
What is the best performance programer for a 2001 Chevy Truck??? V-8 and NO I don't know the exact size of the motor. It is for my assistant's husband.
Thanks for any help.
they are better off saving their money...
I've had trucks in for service with every different programmer money can buy and not been impressed with any of them.
The only ones that seem to do much are on the diesels

prosthogod
11-30-2005, 11:33 AM
I've got a Hypertech I'll sell cheap for that year, 5.3LV8. It was on my suberban before we sold it. Well worth it for power and gas milege.

Cole Trickle
11-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for any help.
I have a buddy that will do a custom tune on a dyno for around $350-400.(I picked up 20rwhp/rwtq on my 03 silverado with tuning) with the extra power and shifting tuning I picked up 1/2 a second in the 1/4 mile)
I know for a fact that he has the software to tune 2001's.
Here is what he did with my supercharged vette.(It had custom tuning when we started from another vendor)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491c5_1_.bmp
Send me a PM for details
Brandin

Kachina26
11-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Leave it alone! And that's coming from Mr. Goodwrench :D

sigepmock
11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
I have a buddy that will do a custom tune on a dyno for around $350-400.(I picked up 20rwhp/rwtq on my 03 silverado with tuning) with the extra power and shifting tuning I picked up 1/2 a second in the 1/4 mile)
I know for a fact that he has the software to tune 2001's.
Here is what he did with my supercharged vette.(It had custom tuning when we started from another vendor)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2491c5_1_.bmp
Send me a PM for details
Brandin
Always bragging about your Super Charged Corvette blah blah blah...... :yuk: :D
j/k Brandin, nice numbers.....
Chris

ROZ
11-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Chris
lol... Don't forget about the gas mileage, Brandon! :D

Rexone
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Leave it alone! And that's coming from Mr. Goodwrench :D
If Mr Goodwrench was that good there wouldn't be a market for programmers. :)

Kachina26
11-30-2005, 01:33 PM
If Mr Goodwrench was that good there wouldn't be a market for programmers. :)
If GM was that good there wouldn't be a job for Mr. Goodwrench.
I make plenty of cash off of aftermarket "hop-ups" :D At least for a few more weeks, then I'm turning in my wrenches :D:D:D:D

Cole Trickle
11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Chris
Not bragging just showing what can be done tuning wise to a gas powered GM vehicle. :p
I actually might put it up for sale in the next 6 mo if I buy a house out in Corona and make the commute to OC.
I don't really know what I would get but those new Trailblazer SS's with the LS2 might fill the void and be easier on the clutch foot.
I would love a diesel for towing but we just got jen into a 5.3 crew cab and having 2 trucks is kinda lame.(So far the 5.3 has been good enough)
hows the baby?

Cole Trickle
11-30-2005, 01:38 PM
lol... Don't forget about the gas mileage, Brandon! :D
yeah it gets good mileage too.... :p
think one of the Rhino guys will give me 60K for it? :crossx: :idea:

prosthogod
11-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Not bragging just showing what can be done tuning wise to a gas powered GM vehicle. :p
I actually might put it up for sale in the next 6 mo if I buy a house out in Corona and make the commute to OC.
I don't really know what I would get but those new Trailblazer SS's with the LS2 might fill the void and be easier on the clutch foot.
I would love a diesel for towing but we just got jen into a 5.3 crew cab and having 2 trucks is kinda lame.(So far the 5.3 has been good enough)
hows the baby?
It's still just a vette

Cole Trickle
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
It's still just a vette
I know I know....
Just a vette
With 540hp
Upgraded suspension and brakes.
30+ MPG on the Highway.
One of the best active handling systems in the world.
Dollar for dollar there is no better performance vehicle in the world than the Corvette.(Handling,Straightline performance,etc..)
I love all cars but that is a fact.
When I talked about the car I wasn't reffering that the car was to good to drive to work I was explaining that I don't enjoy driving a 6speed car in traffic.(I don't like sitting on the freeway working a lutch in bumper to bumper)

GHT
11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all of the input :rollside:. I have conveyed all of the opinions and, as usual everyone on this end is more confused than when we started. They all seem to be somewhat decent.
Cole, I would bragg if I had a SC Vette. But I don't :cry: :cry:

Rexone
11-30-2005, 02:24 PM
If you end up needing Hypertech lemme know. I got the hookup. :)

sigepmock
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
hows the baby?
Just giving you a hard time, don't tell my wife you're selling it.......She loved that thing.
Baby is doing great. Lauren's just a month old and growing like crazy.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495100_0235-med.jpg
How's the Ins. bus?
Chris

voodoomedman
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
If you end up needing Hypertech lemme know. I got the hookup. :)
How much for one for an 02 with a 4.8? I'm thinking it might save gas with the 35's if I bring it back here and drive back and forth to the river in it.

Cole Trickle
11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Just giving you a hard time, don't tell my wife you're selling it.......She loved that thing.
Baby is doing great. Lauren's just a month old and growing like crazy.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495100_0235-med.jpg
How's the Ins. bus?
Chris
CUTE!!!
If she is anything like her mom she will be in the bindings going for big air before you know it!!
Business is good.
Not quite the same as driving all the cool cars that hit the market or runing a car past 150 on the dyno but the $$ is wayyyy better.
All you multi sport families are killing me.. I m looking to sell and move from OC so I can have parking for a boat, rail and trailer.(The condo just has to go)
Did you two sell the xterra yet?

Boa1277
11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
If you want really good programming, Ed Wright is the man. He does 85% of all the GM racing applications out there. Here is his website www.fastchip.com Good Luck

INSman
11-30-2005, 09:03 PM
If GM was that good there wouldn't be a job for Mr. Goodwrench.
I make plenty of cash off of aftermarket "hop-ups" :D At least for a few more weeks, then I'm turning in my wrenches :D:D:D:D
What next, private Jet pilot to the stars ??!!?? :idea: :D

sigepmock
11-30-2005, 09:12 PM
CUTE!!!
If she is anything like her mom she will be in the bindings going for big air before you know it!!
Business is good.
Not quite the same as driving all the cool cars that hit the market or runing a car past 150 on the dyno but the $$ is wayyyy better.
All you multi sport families are killing me.. I m looking to sell and move from OC so I can have parking for a boat, rail and trailer.(The condo just has to go)
COme on out to the valley of the dirt poeple....you'd fit right in ...in the 909 or is it 951..... :yuk:
Lots of room for parking. Hell just park it on the front lawn next to the car with no wheels.....j/k
I hear you on the room thing...that's why we left Aliso Viejo and moved to Rancho Cucamonga.....the $$$ goes a little farther out here. Not to mention were closer to the river....
Xterra is staying put for now.....we'll upgrade to the Suburban in a year or two. We really like it but it's just a hair small for us and if Lauren keeps growing like she is...she won't fit in a year :D
Glad to hear things are going well for you.
Chris

Havasu Hangin'
11-30-2005, 09:22 PM
My Wester's tune has been great. Not only did it wake it up, but removing the torque management made it drive like a different truck.
Here's (http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10429) a great post on torque management- that little glitch GM puts in the computer that makes your truck feel like it's dragging around an anchor (takes timing out during "abusive" manuevers...whatever the hell that is).
An in case you missed it, here's some great info posted by don johnson on the 8.1 liter:
Test- 2005 Suburban 4 x 4 8.1L
Stock= 262 HP and 386 ft lbs torque at the rear tires
Added Gibson Shorty headers and cat back= 14 HP and 27 Ft lbs of torque increase
Added Volant Cold Air Induction= 6 HP and 9 ft lbs torque increase
Added Westers tuned computer= 56 HP and 63 ft lbs of torque increase
In total picked up 76 HP and 99 Ft Lbs which maxed at 338 HP and 485 Ft lbs at the rear tires
The Westers tune was by far the biggest add on. Lyndon Westers custom programmed my computer in 4 days and the tune was set up to compliment the headers and cold air. A huge plus of the Westers is the reprogramming reduces the torque management and removes the speed limiter. We are taking the Sub to the river this weekend so we will get a great idea of increase in MPG but just driving around town it seems to have gotten an increase in MPG.
The Westers tune was a huge improvement. The car passes with ease without downshift now and is simply a lot more fun to drive. It drives like an 496 CI motor should now!
For the hell of it I also dyno'ed an Hypertech handheld reprogrammer to compare a handheld/ flash reprogrammer to the Westers custom tune and can tell you that the Hypertech sucks by comparison! The Hypertech did pick up 17 HP and 24 ft lbs of torque. However, not even close to the Westers... Both tunes were set to run on 91 octane.

cjordan
12-01-2005, 05:42 AM
I ran a hypertech on my old 8.1L burb and noticed a little difference, seat of the pants wise. I later added a Granatelli MAF and noticed a much more pronounced difference than with the hypertech. I don't know if they need to be used together to give that response, but I was very impressed with the MAF.

prosthogod
12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
I still have that hypertech I'll let go for $100.00

Chase
12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
CUTE!!!
Business is good.
PICTURES OF MOM????

Cole Trickle
12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
PICTURES OF MOM????
Your gonna have to check with Chris on that one... :rollside: :p

Chase
12-01-2005, 08:33 AM
That is your que Chris..... :rollside:

Brian Ray
12-01-2005, 09:24 AM
If you want really good programming, Ed Wright is the man. He does 85% of all the GM racing applications out there. Here is his website www.fastchip.com Good Luck
I've heard nothing but good things regarding Ed's programming....

Kachina26
12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
What next, private Jet pilot to the stars ??!!?? :idea: :D
Nope, conductor to heavy freight! :D Just call me Casey Jones.