PDA

View Full Version : inboard vs outboard

timebomb1602
04-13-2001, 01:54 PM
hello, I was wondering the pro's and cons of outboard motors vs inboard. I am planning on buying my first boat and looking at 18 bowriders. Anyone?

mister460
04-25-2001, 11:05 AM
Inboards all the way!! Engines are bigger, more powerful, more efficient(usually), easier, and cheaper to work on. Where are you gonna get a 460 BB Ford outboard. Inboard and make sure it's a big block! Just kidding, small blocks work too, I guess.

spectras only
04-25-2001, 08:05 PM
HP/weight ratio is great with outboards,cost and longevity is not so.Most people I know were lucky if they get 4-500 hours on them before the powerheads needs replacing.Until the 4-strokes arrived ,they were a nuissance with their trailing smoke.A well looked after 4 stroke BB will last well over a 1000hrs, and you can buy a short block for a price of a powerhead.If you looking for exhalirating speeds ,get a very light hull and a big outboard.

slowride
05-22-2001, 09:37 AM
Inboards are usually easier for the average
boater to maintain and work on. They are
very similar to your car engine. BB in a
18ft. bowrider, hang on!!!
Hope you like your first boat as much as I
liked mine. On boat no.2 now.

MaddMan
06-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Inboard (sterndrive) all the way!! To make up your mind, ride through a busy harbor and by the time you get out of it you will SWEAR you'll never own one of those stinkin' smokin' bee sounding anchors! LOL! Seriously, though, for a first boat I would highly recommend a sterndrive...less maintenance to worry about while you're getting the whole boating thing figured out. Good Luck and HAPPY BOATING!
Dave

Joey
06-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Hey man, I just bought my first boat 3 weeks ago. I bought a Spectra 18 with a 460 ford and a berkeley JE jet drive. I have to tell you that I have learned so much since I bought my boat. Luckily I have a buddy who helped me find this boat. Even though I didn't know what the hell I was buying, I got a killer boat.
Make sure you know what you are getting before you buy and DON'T buy an outboard. I grew up on them and all I can remember is problems.
Also, consider a jet drive. Its certainly different from sterns and outboards but they are a lot of fun.
Joey

Joey
06-12-2001, 09:17 PM
Hey man, I just bought my first boat 3 weeks ago. I bought a Spectra 18 with a 460 ford and a berkeley JE jet drive. I have to tell you that I have learned so much since I bought my boat. Luckily I have a buddy who helped me find this boat. Even though I didn't know what the hell I was buying, I got a killer boat.
Make sure you know what you are getting before you buy and DON'T buy an outboard. I grew up on them and all I can remember is problems.
Also, consider a jet drive. Its certainly different from sterns and outboards but they are a lot of fun.
Joey

Joey
06-12-2001, 09:28 PM
Joey

Joey
06-12-2001, 09:34 PM
Joey

fat rat
06-13-2001, 05:04 AM
Check out a jet drive, think about the safety factor..no prop to worry about, very low maintenance no lower unit/transmissiom, simple tune ups and great performance and you won't be disappointed.

formula93
06-19-2001, 07:23 AM
Sorry to disagree with everone else, BUT !!
I also run an inboard, however what you buy depends on what/how you plan to use it !!
An outboard does NOT REQUIRE WINTERIZATION !!
Therefore your boating season can be longer. Yes, powerheads are expensive on outboards but look at what Mercruiser sells its engines for!! Overall, it is less expensive to have an outboard. No gimbal rings to wear out, no bellows, no couplers, no oil coolers, etc & in an 18 foot boat, space is at a premium. Why take of 4-5ft of space with an engine if you can hang it outside?
One big hint here, put on an outboard rated at the MAXIMUM for the boat !! You will forever be sorry if you don't. People & "stuff" seem to effect outboard boats more than inboards ( people & stuff weigh more than you think !!), so go with the max hp & don't try to prop it for the maximum speed. It seems like you want an "all around" type rig, ski/cruise....probably a 21"-23" pitch with a 175-200hp engine. Good for probably 60 mph with 4-5 people on board with "stuff" ! & good "pull-up" power. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Have fun !!