PDA

View Full Version : iPOD question............

Nord
05-15-2006, 09:44 AM
So I finally bought an iPod 30gb and was wondering about uploading music from different computers. If the music was not downloaded, but on a person's library from their cd's, can I upload the music to my iPod from multiple computers???
My new head unit has a line out for an iPod so I don't have to worry about skipping anymore!!!! Any hints or suggestions on uploading etc. would be a great help!
Thanks!
~NORD~

DRMCAT
05-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes you can, you just have to load it using Itunes, which you can install on any computer. You can also copy their music files onto a storage device and tranfer it to your computer, then load it in your Itunes and wa-la you've got music. Pretty simple either way.

mbrown2
05-15-2006, 09:54 AM
So I finally bought an iPod 30gb and was wondering about uploading music from different computers. If the music was not downloaded, but on a person's library from their cd's, can I upload the music to my iPod from multiple computers???
My new head unit has a line out for an iPod so I don't have to worry about skipping anymore!!!! Any hints or suggestions on uploading etc. would be a great help!
Thanks!
~NORD~
No, not unless you download some IPOD hacking utilities. For example, lets say you have 1000 songs on your computer and you download them onto your IPOD. Your IPOD is sync'd with your computer now. When you go to your friends computer and try and sync the IPOD, it will notify you that your ipod is sync'd with another computer. If you reply yes that you want to sync it with your friends computer it will sync it. Here is where the possible problem comes in....say your friend only has 500 songs....it will sync the whole 500, but it will also get rid the other 500 (from the 1000) you initially uploaded from your computer. Apple does this to prevent sharing of music. There are ways around it with other software, but this is the simple answer......

Nord
05-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks!!
What about charging.........there isn't any directions on charging>first time etc....
Does the battery have memory where it needs to be charged for 8 hours the first time??

AZKC
05-15-2006, 10:06 AM
No, not unless you download some IPOD hacking utilities. For example, lets say you have 1000 songs on your computer and you download them onto your IPOD. Your IPOD is sync'd with your computer now. When you go to your friends computer and try and sync the IPOD, it will notify you that your ipod is sync'd with another computer. If you reply yes that you want to sync it with your friends computer it will sync it. Here is where the possible problem comes in....say your friend only has 500 songs....it will sync the whole 500, but it will also get rid the other 500 (from the 1000) you initially uploaded from your computer. Apple does this to prevent sharing of music. There are ways around it with other software, but this is the simple answer......
My kids got that software and a 40 gig IPOD, he's music library is very extensive :220v:

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 10:10 AM
You can upload music from different computers to the same Ipod without erasing any of the music on the Pod. I use three different computers to load music to my Ipod. Under Ipod preferences, select "manage playlists manually". This must be done on all the computers you plan on using.
Oh, the only time it becomes an issue is if the songs where downloaded from the Itunes store. Then they are registered to the Pod and can't be played on another Ipod.
Nord if you have any problems, give me a call.

mbrown2
05-15-2006, 10:13 AM
My kids got that software and a 40 gig IPOD, he's music library is very extensive :220v:
Yeah...there are a couple of sw apps out there that will allow you to do it....Instead, I actually use the IPOD like its a portable hard drive and just copy the actual MP3 files to it directly outside of ITUNEs....this way I avoid songs that are dups off of friends computers and only take what I want....when I get home I copy the files onto my computer, ITunes sees them and syncs them automatically with the IPOD...takes a little extra space, but I have the 60gb video version and only have about 10Gb in music...

mbrown2
05-15-2006, 10:24 AM
You can upload music from different computers to the same Ipod without erasing any of the music on the Pod. I use three different computers to load music to my Ipod. Under Ipod preferences, select "manage playlists manually". This must be done on all the computers you plan on using.
Oh, the only time it becomes an issue is if the songs where downloaded from the Itunes store. Then they are registered to the Pod and can't be played on another Ipod.
Nord if you have any problems, give me a call.
I should have been more clear if he were trying do auto sync'g?.....Also, does this prevent you from auto-sync on anyone of your 3 computers? Or do you have to manage everything manually? How do you get it in MP3 format onto your system? Just seems like a lot of overhead to have to manage playlists and music on 3 different computers.....I have a master computer that contains everything and that is the one that gets backed up....I have 3 diff laptops I use, but only one that stores music....After 5 years of managing music, it is just much simpler keep it on one system and carry the IPOD around.

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 10:32 AM
I should have been more clear if he were trying do auto sync'g?.....Also, does this prevent you from auto-sync on anyone of your 3 computers? Or do you have to manage everything manually? How do you get it in MP3 format onto your system? Just seems like a lot of overhead to have to manage playlists and music on 3 different computers.....I have a master computer that contains everything and that is the one that gets backed up....I have 3 diff laptops I use, but only one that stores music....After 5 years of managing music, it is just much simpler keep it on one system and carry the IPOD around.
I agree with that, I have most of the music on an external HD, on one computer. When you manage the playlist manually, as you drag and drop the files to the playlists it instantly updates the Ipod. It doesn't wait to update the playlist all at one time.
I also use Itunes to rip the music from Cd's to Mp3.

Nord
05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
So if I give my iPod to my brother in law to get music from his library, he needs to select manage music manually???
Then I can use my computer as well??

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
So if I give my iPod to my brother in law to get music from his library, he needs to select manage music manually???
Then I can use my computer as well??
Yes, you'll have to set your version of Itunes to "manage playlists manually". Then you can load music from either or both computers.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
05-15-2006, 10:53 AM
My ipod just to a dump on me. EVery time i plug it in, it tells me that either a preferences file is corrupt or the itunes db is corrupt.
i have done a reintsall of itunes as well as a repair but the thing still won't update....
any ideas?

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 10:57 AM
My ipod just to a dump on me. EVery time i plug it in, it tells me that either a preferences file is corrupt or the itunes db is corrupt.
i have done a reintsall of itunes as well as a repair but the thing still won't update....
any ideas?
Have you rebooted the Ipod? Which pod is it? To reboot the newer ones, hold the menu and center buttons untill it restarts. If that doesn't help, check apple's website.

looky_lou
05-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Have you rebooted the Ipod? Which pod is it? To reboot the newer ones, hold the menu and center buttons untill it restarts. If that doesn't help, check apple's website.
Also, download the latest ipod operating system (not itunes, but the program that runs on the ipod) from Apple and install it to the ipod. This just reinstalls the operating system and does not erase your music or anything. Every time my ipod starts doing something strange, I do this and it has fixed every problem I have ever had with the ipod. :)
I believe the file is called ipod updater or something to that effect.

boater012
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I have a question since we are on the subject of ipods. I bought an 60gb ipod video from my buddy that has about 40 gb of music on it that I actually like. can I keep this music and download it ot my copmuter??? I tried and it says to load to my ipod from my itunes it will delete all the music from the ipod.?????????? any help is appreciated

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Also, download the latest ipod operating system (not itunes, but the program that runs on the ipod) from Apple and install it to the ipod. This just reinstalls the operating system and does not erase your music or anything. Every time my ipod starts doing something strange, I do this and it has fixed every problem I have ever had with the ipod. :)
I believe the file is called ipod updater or something to that effect.
Thats a good idea, I didn't even think about that.
I have a question since we are on the subject of ipods. I bought an 60gb ipod video from my buddy that has about 40 gb of music on it that I actually like. can I keep this music and download it ot my copmuter??? I tried and it says to load to my ipod from my itunes it will delete all the music from the ipod.?????????? any help is appreciated
Yes, but you need a sw app that will let you do that.

boater012
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Thats a good idea, I didn't even think about that.
Yes, but you need a sw app that will let you do that.
Where do I get an sw app?? Its a program I presume?

looky_lou
05-15-2006, 01:03 PM
There are several programs that you can buy for managing your ipod that will allow you to do this at Comp USA, Office Depot, Staples, etc.
I have used a free program in the past for this. It is called Yamipod. It was not perfect but what do you want for free right? You can probably find it by doing a search on google. :)

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
There is also another called IpodAccess, you can download a trial version for free but it is limited.

andy01
05-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Is it that much trouble to just upload if you are using one computer? I am thinking of getting one and will only use the ipod for one thing, and would only be using my computer.
Andy

h2oski2fast
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Is it that much trouble to just upload if you are using one computer? I am thinking of getting one and will only use the ipod for one thing, and would only be using my computer.
Andy
No, they are pretty simple to use.

Mandelon
05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I downloaded Yamipod off the net and it works pretty well. YOu can upload a bunch of Ipods music to your computer, then download the whole mess onto your Ipod.
go through and spend some time editing though, fill out the info boxes on each tune, add the genre and you can get rid of duplicates too.

Angry Inch
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Dennis!
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/wavey.gif

BajaMike
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
any ideas?
Also, if you have all your music in ITunes on the computer, you can use the ITunes software to format your ipod and then re-sync it to re-load all your music.

Chico&Zeus
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Download the program IPODRIP, it will do what you want, rip (copy) the songs from an IPOD onto a computer.

boater012
05-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Download the program IPODRIP, it will do what you want, rip (copy) the songs from an IPOD onto a computer.
Thank you ill go do a search for that program right now.