PDA

View Full Version : 440/550 KAW stand up jet skis, where to find/buy parts and info

DUECE'SDAD
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
I recently got 4 stand up skis and alotta goodies, some of which im not even sure what the parts are, Do any of you know any good sites to check, or know much about them and can point me in the best direction for modifying one and maybe a photo gallery, something like ***boat for stand up skis ? ? ? I have a couple aftermarket pipes, and have some aftermarket water bottles or tanks (not sure what they do maybe a muffler ???) also maybe a bypass for the muff ? ? ? What is the best mild lakester combo for the stand up skis . . . Please point me in the right direction - DUstin

Speedin' Ian
05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
a couple years ago I was sitting at the Kings river with some family and friends and we were complaining about all the pwc's, but then we decided if we can't beat them join them, so that week we all went out and bought stand-ups. It was a blast and I learned quite a bit about them... Here's what I learned... if a ski sits for two long without running you're almost definately going to loose the bottom end because the moisture causes the needles bearings to rust, also ebay is a great source for parts. Those tanks you have are most likely the water box, essentially it's the muffler and aftermarket ones tend to make your ski a lot louder.

Jyruiz
05-15-2006, 12:15 PM
PWCToday.com (http://www.pwctoday.com/) is the equivalent of Hot Boat. And I miss my 99 Superjet.:(

Robert1050
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
If you can swing a wrench, pick-up a service manual for the ski's - it'll guide you through any work you need to do. eBay is a good source for parts, Group K (groupk.com) in Fort Mohave AZ is a good source for parts & hop-up components for the older Kawi's (they're big on restoring/upgrading older ski's). Ronnie's has exploded parts diagrams on line to help you figure out what parts you might need to repair things. Check out pwctoday.com for forums like this one.
Oh, and don't put any aftermarket waterboxes onto the exhaust - they really only make the ski louder, annoy everyone else on the lake and really don't add any performance.
Robert

Jyruiz
05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
If you can swing a wrench, pick-up a service manual for the ski's - it'll guide you through any work you need to do. eBay is a good source for parts, Group K (groupk.com) in Fort Mohave AZ is a good source for parts & hop-up components for the older Kawi's (they're big on restoring/upgrading older ski's). Ronnie's has exploded parts diagrams on line to help you figure out what parts you might need to repair things. Check out pwctoday.com for forums like this one.
Oh, and don't put any aftermarket waterboxes onto the exhaust - they really only make the ski louder, annoy everyone else on the lake and really don't add any performance.
Robert
Another vote for GroupK, they modified my 96XP and some of my other friends skis. Harry (the owner) is a real nice guy and will explain everything to you in very simple terms so you can understand, same goes for his brother Gearhart.

SummitKarl
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I recently got 4 stand up skis and alotta goodies, some of which im not even sure what the parts are, Do any of you know any good sites to check, or know much about them and can point me in the best direction for modifying one and maybe a photo gallery, something like ***boat for stand up skis ? ? ? I have a couple aftermarket pipes, and have some aftermarket water bottles or tanks (not sure what they do maybe a muffler ???) also maybe a bypass for the muff ? ? ? What is the best mild lakester combo for the stand up skis . . . Please point me in the right direction - DUstin
got any starters? I need at least 2 of them
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/273476js400.jpg

wsuwrhr
05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
A good friend of mine (Dan Lamey) makes aftermarket cylinders and works on them too. He does alot of stuff for ATV and watercraft.
His shop is in Riverside.
Depending on the day you go, you may just see a certain ***boat member there. :boxed: :boxed:
Racers Edge (http://teamracersedge.com)

godfather
05-15-2006, 01:27 PM
try rivaracing.com

riverracerx
05-15-2006, 01:32 PM
In 1980 no one knew what my stand up was??
I think that time is coming full circle.
Keep the stock waterbox. Put dual carbs on it. A stainless skat trak impeller, a new ride plate and intake grate. Quick turn kit. bilge pump and be done with it.
http://www.kawasaki.ca/images/museum_pwc/82-JS550A.jpg

DUECE'SDAD
05-15-2006, 01:49 PM
Whats up with one of the skis having rear exit exhaust ? ? Is that a plus ? ? The main thing i am trying to figure out is the best combo for 1 so i can get all the goodies and sell the extras . . . Also do you guys know if there is a difference in a 440 and a 550 jet and which one should i use with the 550 engine I will also hit up those boards

It's all Good
05-15-2006, 02:02 PM
If I remember correctly, the 440 pump is preferred over the 550. Put the 550 motor in the 440 hull.

Mrs.Racer277
05-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Sell quick....Our 440's and 550's spent more time with the hoods off then in the water. :) :)

Racer277
05-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Whats up with one of the skis having rear exit exhaust ? ? Is that a plus ? ? The main thing i am trying to figure out is the best combo for 1 so i can get all the goodies and sell the extras . . . Also do you guys know if there is a difference in a 440 and a 550 jet and which one should i use with the 550 engine I will also hit up those boards
Rear exhaust is newer style, use that hull.
440 pump is faster (relative) 550 pump will pull fatter guy out of the water (relative).
550 pump is easier to maintain (bearings vs. bushing on 440). If one has a stainless impeller, use that one.
Either pump will work with either engine.
Use the aluminum water box. They were'nt made for performance, the stock box use epoxy to seal, it would leak, leaking exhaust into the engine compartment.
A highly mod'd 440 is faster than a 550, but neither is fast. If both are iron blocks, use the one with a better bore.
Keep your spare parts, you will need them.
These were not performance boats, if you are dilligent maintaining it (1hr work = 1hr play) they will be fun for a kid.
WSU's buddy Dan Lamey is world class. If you can get advise out of him on these old boats, follow it.

Red Horse
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Second all the wrenching on them. My brother has a 550 with the rear exit exhaust. About 3K in the motor. It is quick and has a top end of about 55 MPH. Play for a while, bring it in, adjust the carb, clean the plugs, etc, etc. Plus it really sucked fuel. He was always doing something to it.
He cruised up river at Lake Travis one year about 17 miles and the damn thing broke. I was nearby in the boat. Fun lifting that thing into the boat!!

thark27
05-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Dustin give me a call we have tons of 550 parts in the barn.

MagicMtnDan
05-16-2006, 04:46 AM
I had a 550 and an X2 then got a Wave Blaster - liked that one a lot (see pic). Last one was an XP Limited - that one went 62 MPH. They were fun.
http://www.digitalfog.com/gallery/images/jetski.jpg

TOBTEK
05-16-2006, 06:09 AM
also IF you are looking for parts..... do a search for "HOT PRODUCTS" in San Diego. They are the largest jet ski parts distro firm left. They have EVERYTHING you would ever need. Good luck with the ski's.

ridebig
05-16-2006, 06:11 AM
bikebandit.com has good selection of OEM and aftermarket parts.

havaduner
05-16-2006, 06:34 AM
I would suggest 3 bags of concrete per ski, allow to harden well before launching.

Danhercules
05-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I remember going to the sand bar on the 440s from park Moabi. That was a long haul!!!!

riverroyal
05-16-2006, 07:16 PM
A good friend of mine (Dan Lamey) makes aftermarket cylinders and works on them too. He does alot of stuff for ATV and watercraft.
His shop is in Riverside.
Depending on the day you go, you may just see a certain ***boat member there. :boxed: :boxed:
Racers Edge (http://teamracersedge.com)
tell him steve royal says hi,used to see him every weekend on tour,long time agoooooo..........try HOTPRODUCTS,,,,i think they have a website