PDA

View Full Version : JL audio amp ?

1manshow
12-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I am looking to get a few different opions on what jl model amps to power 6 pairs of some 6 1/2 speakers? Would the jl 500/1 be enough power? Iam also wanting some feed back on running 4 10 jlw6s with the 1000/1 .

sigepmock
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken the 500/1 is a sub amp, 500 watts for 1 channel. I run the six channel JL for mid/highs, 4 pairs, in our boat and a 500/1 that feeds 2 JL12"W1's. I think the 1000/1 would definately power your subs. As for what amp is the best for 6 pairs, I defer to the experts...

ROZ
12-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Chris is correct. The JL5001 is a 500watt mono amp. It sounds like you really want to boom, so I'd consider either a JL4504 (150x2 x 75x2) or 1 jl3004 and a jl3002 to run your 6+ speakers, and a JL10001 to run 4 10w3v2 's ... If you really want to run 4 10w6's, put jl1001 to each pair :D
If you were going mild, I'd say the w6450 6 channel.......

BADASS38CHEVY
12-06-2005, 02:20 PM
I am looking to get a few different opions on what jl model amps to power 6 pairs of some 6 1/2 speakers? Would the jl 500/1 be enough power? Iam also wanting some feed back on running 4 10 jlw6s with the 1000/1 .
I running a simular set to yours. 4 jl audio 13.5 w6's and 6 pairs of 6.5 MB quartz.I run 2 1000/1 for the bass and 3 300/4 for the mids.The MB quartz pce 216 speakers are rated at 125 watts.The 300/4 are a little under rated for them but work really good. Im very happy with the set up.The MB quartz crank really hard and are very clean sounding. I ran 1000/1 to the 13.5 w6's and it sounded ok, but desided to run 2 1000/1 and the subs and this thing hits HARD.I would say that running 1 1000/1 would work really good but not sure what your preferance is.The subs are in a slot ported encloser.There is another 300/4 amp in the picture but sits down below in the amp compartment you cant see.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=86939&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500, http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=86940&size=big&password=&sort=7&thecat=500.

1manshow
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Badass38 I was woundering if you ever have these amps ever shut down from overheating? Also how long of play time are you getting out of your batteries? And what kind are you running? I would think those amps are pulling some serious juice.

BADASS38CHEVY
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Badass38 I was woundering if you ever have these amps ever shut down from overheating? Also how long of play time are you getting out of your batteries? And what kind are you running? I would think those amps are pulling some serious juice.
I have never had the amps shut down but have had the thermo light come on when seriously cranking tunes really high without the fans on.I have 2 blower fans, the ones that they use in the engine compartment for boats to cool the amps down.They work the best,they really move some air to cool the amps down FAST.I need to space the amps away from the amp board alittle to allow air to move threw. The stealth board that goes around the amps in gray carpet kind of hold heat in around the amps a little.I had did the install on this in one day and was off to the river for the first time in the new boat for labor day weekend.Had no problems but blew a fuse because I left a ground wire loose.Easy fix.I will do a much cleaner install this winter on the amp board without the stealth board to cut down on heat and space the amps away from the amp board then.Im running 2 oddessy 2150 batteries with the cascade 75 amp power converter along with a eu2000 watt honda generator.I can run about 3 to 4 hours a 1/3 volume with fully charged batteries.The generator holds 1 gal of gas and will run almost 4 hrs till it runs out and runs 3 to 4 hour on the juice from the batteries.So 7 to 8 hrs of continous playing before the party is over.

1manshow
12-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the feed back everybody. I got one more ? if i was to run the jl 1000/1 and the 450/4 how many batteries should i run? Iam considering running 2 2150 oddessy without a generator if that is possible.

BADASS38CHEVY
12-12-2005, 10:02 AM
That will work good.

Beer-30
12-12-2005, 10:25 AM
When I do mine after the first of the year, I am going to talk to the installer about mounting the amps on wood strips - as opposed to full boards. I think some nice thick strips just along the mounting edges will be more than enough to support them, yet allow air to pass underneath the amp as well. I know there are no cooling heat sinks along the bottom, but the carpeted board does insulate and keep some heat sitting along the bottom.
I suppose one could even just put oversized blocks on the four mounting corners and allow cross-cooling also. I'll play around with it and see if it is enough support. If it seems the strips would break in rough water, I would just stick with normal mounting. The part of the stealth board underneath the amp does nothing for support anyway.

rivercrazy
12-12-2005, 10:30 AM
When I do mine after the first of the year, I am going to talk to the installer about mounting the amps on wood strips - as opposed to full boards. I think some nice thick strips just along the mounting edges will be more than enough to support them, yet allow air to pass underneath the amp as well. I know there are no cooling heat sinks along the bottom, but the carpeted board does insulate and keep some heat sitting along the bottom.
I suppose one could even just put oversized blocks on the four mounting corners and allow cross-cooling also. I'll play around with it and see if it is enough support. If it seems the strips would break in rough water, I would just stick with normal mounting. The part of the stealth board underneath the amp does nothing for support anyway.
I was concerned about the amp receiving maximum exposure to air as well. I went with Nylon spacers between the amps and mounting surface. This in conjunction with stainless screws and no problems after a few years of use. And in very rough water conditions as well. You can find Nylon spacers in the hardware section of Home Depot.

Beer-30
12-12-2005, 10:34 AM
I was concerned about the amp receiving maximum exposure to air as well. I went with Nylon spacers between the amps and mounting surface. This in conjunction with stainless screws and no problems after a few years of use. And in very rough water conditions as well. You can find Nylon spacers in the hardware section of Home Depot.
Cool. Good idea. Glad it seems to work.
There is this style, used for mounting ignition boxes / coils in rough conditions. This would space it up and absorb shock as well.
http://www.malloryperformance.com/e-images04-350//29070.jpg

ROZ
12-12-2005, 12:15 PM
The only problem using that will be tightening the nut. A lot of amos only have enough room for a something the size of a philips head screw...

Beer-30
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
The only problem using that will be tightening the nut. A lot of amos only have enough room for a something the size of a philips head screw...
Yeah, that's the 1/4-20 size. They have a #10 also. Still might be a little big. And you're right, the cooling fins tend to be right against the screw. If it worked that way, it would be secure - can't deny that!