PDA

View Full Version : Any Palm tree experts out there?

Ziggy
12-06-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm wondering about splitting a threesome of King Palms into individual trees. Can it be done without shocking the poor tree to death and what's the best way to go about it?
Thanks.....

ROZ
12-06-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm wondering about splitting a threesome of King Palms into individual trees. Can it be done without shocking the poor tree to death and what's the best way to go about it?
Thanks.....
I have killed quite a few expensive palms. I can help. How mature? Is it a true cluster or 3 trees simply planted together?
My latest kill was a 16yr old Howea Fosterna. :cry:

1Shockwaveguy
12-06-2005, 01:52 PM
They will most likely die if you try to split them

THOR
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Kings dont like to be transplanted let alone split up. DONT DO IT.

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Kings dont like to be transplanted let alone split up. DONT DO IT.
They are usually a solitary tree and don't normally cluster.
Any type of transplatation of this tree should be done early in the tree's life.

SummitKarl
12-06-2005, 02:28 PM
dude you can HAVE all 5 of my 40's

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:36 PM
dude you can HAVE all 5 of my 40's
You have 5 40 gallon Kings at your house waiting for Ziggy to pickup for FREE?
Are those Alexandrea or Cunningham ?
Getum Zig!

Ziggy
12-06-2005, 02:38 PM
They are usually a solitary tree and don't normally cluster.
Any type of transplatation of this tree should be done early in the tree's life.
I bought them that way, 3 shoots. Tip of tallest frawn is maybe 6 foot. Stumps not much more than 3 or so inches in diameter. I'm just thinking ahead when they grow older/bigger that the location may not be good for all three together. Plus they're expensive and if the cheapskate part of me can save a buck and have a couple extra palms, hey, why not :p
I'll see if any more viable comments pop in here or not.
Karl, no thanks on those. Them just be rat nest holders. Kings are clean and self pruning. Looking to lessen my yardwork ;)

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I bought them that way, 3 shoots. Tip of tallest frawn is maybe 6 foot. Stumps not much more than 3 or so inches in diameter. I'm just thinking ahead when they grow older/bigger that the location may not be good for all three together. Plus they're expensive and if the cheapskate part of me can save a buck and have a couple extra palms, hey, why not :p
I'll see if any more viable comments pop in here or not.
Karl, no thanks on those. Them just be rat nest holders. Kings are clean and self pruning. Looking to lessen my yardwork ;)
So he has Mexican fan or California fan ?

AZKC
12-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Took a chain saw to my 2 palms last year one was about 50ft the other around 60ft. Nasty dirty pains in the arse :yuk: Then all the frigin baby palms that sprout up all over. Thats a whole nother battle :220v: Don't even get me started on Palo Verde trees. :yuk: :yuk:

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Sheit, YOU"RE no cheapskate...lol... I'd say no. They're too big now AND this is the wrong time of year. Planting palms is an early spring and early fall planting..... That gives them a few months to get acclimated to the soil before heat and cold spells... If you messed with it, they'd have to deal with shock and cold weather. Both will die...

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
So Karl are these trees that you'd like to get rid of out here or out where you are?

Ziggy
12-06-2005, 02:53 PM
You have 5 40 gallon Kings at your house waiting for Ziggy to pickup for FREE?
Are those Alexandrea or Cunningham ?
Getum Zig!
I do believe he meant 40 footers ROZ...seen them and heard them rattle at night before when there wasn't any wind...LOL
Here's one of them in the foreground.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10061

ROZ
12-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Karl, go buy a chainsaw :D
Do they have an arborist out there who specializes in palm trees? They look really nice when they're totally cleaned up(from ground to crown)...