PDA

View Full Version : outdrive starting to make noise or whistle sound

boatnam2
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
i guess i need to rebuild it with new bearings.anyone else experience this?if so who did the drive and how much?was it your gimbal bearing?no one else can really hear it but i can and i guess refreshing it is better then breaking it.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 01:34 PM
i guess i need to rebuild it with new bearings.anyone else experience this?if so who did the drive and how much?was it your gimbal bearing?no one else can really hear it but i can and i guess refreshing it is better then breaking it.
Gimbal bearing is always spinning when motor is running so it will make noise even in neutral. Gimbal is not too expensive. I had one done and it was about $500 if I remember correctly. How are the bellows? How is the gear lube? Blue or milky yellow?

boatnam2
05-15-2006, 01:41 PM
how do you check the bellows?i was hoping maybe the gimbal but it dosent do it nuetral only when running.oil is new and blue.

andy01
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
When do you want me to come pick it up? I can run it for about ten minutes and when you get it back you will know what was wrong with.
Andy

riverliver
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
You should try puting oil in it Jim :) LOL

boatnam2
05-15-2006, 03:20 PM
whats up scotty! good to see ya posting again.i figure if i start taking all your burned up lowers recycle them for scrap i will have enough money to fix it in no time.

Outnumbered
05-15-2006, 03:23 PM
how do you check the bellows?i was hoping maybe the gimbal but it dosent do it nuetral only when running.oil is new and blue.
Probably not the gimbal/bellows then. Most likely a bearing or gear whine in the drive. To check the bellows tilt the motor up and look at the rubber accordian looking dealios in the gimbal housing. The upper one is the one you are checking. Get a flash light and look for cracks. If water gets in it will rust the gimbal bearing and kill it. Lower bellows is just for exhaust and has slits in it, if its even still on the boat.

boatnam2
05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
thanks outnumbered for the help.i figure it is bearing just thought maybe just maybe it could be something that is not to big of deal.new bearing 2200.00 is a big deal.time to bite the bullet.

riverliver
05-15-2006, 03:29 PM
whats up scotty! good to see ya posting again.i figure if i start taking all your burned up lowers recycle them for scrap i will have enough money to fix it in no time.
I figured if I don't drive it much it won't break as much LOL... I will just ride with Andy till his breaks ... OOPPS that didn't take long ... :cry:
:cry:

andy01
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Shit beat on me about my lowers. When I bring that boat home we're rolling to Catalina for lunch, if your ole lady will let your ass out for lunch....... How many hours do you have on that drive and TCM 620 now? Oh wait you already had to take it out of one Lavey (Unsafe at any speed) because it wanted to swap ends at 50 mph and then you put it in some lazy Lavey craft only to have it BLOW up from having your skinny ass try to drive it like a AO with 800 hp only to then have it take the drive out........... NICE RIDE................ :cry: Now I must call the city on that garage you have in your backyard! :rollside:
http://www.***boat.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1950825&posted=1#post1950825
Andy

boatnam2
05-15-2006, 07:51 PM
im going on 400 hours on one drive so i think it lasted ok.may last alot longer but i dont think im going test it to much more.i will go what the plan use one lower up on the way over and the other on the way back.